Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT : Why so many OT postings? (Pun Intended)

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    DMW said:

Last year my then 12 year old daughter packed every day.
    If only my dad made deli meats at home...
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    Legume said:
    I doubt any child who eats a public school lunch would have anything nice to say about Michelle Obama.
    I ate plenty of public school lunches back in the 70s, we hated them then.  No kid ever said "this school lunch rocks!" except maybe that band kid with the headgear that always got hit in the face with the tetherball.
    Yep, I used to skip lunch and save the money, that was in the early 90's though...

Last year my then 12 year old daughter packed every day.
    In my days, I only went through the main line on nacho or turkey/taters day.

Every other day, I was in the hot line getting cheese fries, chicken strips, chimichanga burritos and pizza.  My 16yo doesn't have any of those options at her cafeteria.  I'm not mad about that either, so it's good that schools are now following a guideline.  It was always **** food, but at least it is slightly better for you now. 

The few things I like about my son going to the cafeteria are:  Other children are influencing him to try new things...like vegetables.  He always compares their food to mine, and it is kinda cool to hear how much he loves my cooking.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Legume said:
    I doubt any child who eats a public school lunch would have anything nice to say about Michelle Obama.
    I ate plenty of public school lunches back in the 70s, we hated them then.  No kid ever said "this school lunch rocks!" except maybe that band kid with the headgear that always got hit in the face with the tetherball.
    Are you implying that @GATraveller wore head gear?  Is this him?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    LOL - the headgear brings back some memories.  I never had to wear any of that stuff, but the kids who did... school could be brutal enough without facial accessories.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I doubt any child who eats a public school lunch would have anything nice to say about Michelle Obama. public school lunch.
    FTFY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    LOL - the headgear brings back some memories.  I never had to wear any of that stuff, but the kids who did... school could be brutal enough without facial accessories.  
    F'ing Jasper Jumpers, man. I hated when the springs would snap and drive right into my gum/lip. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you guys should have eaten at my house in the 70's. school lunch was the best =)  at home it was single slice kraft cheese on skinny weight watches bread grilled in margarine and served with tab :o  weekends it was the same bread, powdered eggs served as french toast. thank god for mystery meat and gravey served over potatoes on wednesday, i would be back in line for seconds and thirds =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    Options
    No headgear here...although I did have braces for 6 years.....possibly bought our orthodontist a new Jaguar.  Fortunate enough to attend Private so always ate in the lunchroom (weren't allowed to bring our own) except on fish Friday's.  My kids are in public and rarely eat lunchroom food.  I've been to the school to eat with them on several occasions and eat the food when I'm there.  It isn't that bad but then again - I'd eat the ass end of a horse if you cooked it right.  Never been a picky eater or food snob....kinda figured I was blessed to have a hot meal no matter where it came from.  If you complained about the food in my house you didn't get fed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I had that damn head gear, thankfully only at night. 

BTW, my teen lays school lunch squarely at FLOTUS feet. Don't know where he got that, seriously. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2015
    Options

BTW, my teen lays school lunch squarely at FLOTUS feet. Don't know where he got that, seriously. 
    My kids do to!! - hence my previous comment.

True story:  When I was in high school detention one afternoon they made us help unload the food truck at the cafeteria.  I was responsible for the boxes of hotdogs which read GRADE D (but edible).....no lie!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    edited September 2015
    Options

There was some Twitter activity around this, where kids were taking pics of their lunches and thanking (sarcastically) Michelle Obama for them.  

I believe she was instrumental in improving health standards for school lunches.  But there is a pretty big chasm between that and being directly responsible for what's served in schools.  

The unfortunate reality is that the quality of public school lunches mostly correlates with how wealthy the district is.  
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

. . .

The unfortunate reality is that the quality of public school lunches mostly correlates with how wealthy the district is.  
    The correlation of districts' relative wealth and quality extends far beyond lunch.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Let it out people, let it out ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2015
    Options

Oh, Tim!  You rascal, you.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    His biggest issue is portion size. He just goes thru the line twice. Problem solved.  =)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hey, Tony managed to ask a question of Trump...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CBWrpq-6es

Options
    you guys should have eaten at my house in the 70's. school lunch was the best =)  at home it was single slice kraft cheese on skinny weight watches bread grilled in margarine and served with tab :o  weekends it was the same bread, powdered eggs served as french toast. thank god for mystery meat and gravey served over potatoes on wednesday, i would be back in line for seconds and thirds =)
    See?  And you turned out a fine outstanding citizen. =)   We don't need no stinkin' health training for kids. Give them hot pockets and tell them to study their unintelligent design.
    Hey, Tony managed to ask a question of Trump...

LOL - that IS Tony!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Oh heck.  That was MSNBC, I swear I didn't notice.  So it was probably CGI - never happened.  Sorry folks, turn off the alarm bells.
    Options

terrorist attacks since 1970

Notice the little blimp in the black dotted line at 2001. That little bump represents +/- 3000 American lives ended by Radical Muslim Extremists. 

Nice chart if you're trying to trivialize the deaths of thousands of innocent people.  :|
    Dude, the Y axis is "Number of Attacks".  For f*cks sake, I'm not trying to trivialize 9/11 - it was terrible.
    So JIC, what was the U.S. response to the Islamists taking those girls?  Hmmm?

This is pathetic and weak.  If the United States is going to do nothing about it, then do nothing.  A hashtag campaign?  I'm sorry, but if that is our only response, then FLOTUS is leading our foreign policy on this issue.

If we can only hear what the captors said.  
    "Hey Abdul, Obama says we are mean and should return these girls.  His woman is on the Internet with a hashtag campaign.  What should we do?"

"Who gives a crap about them!  They ain't gonna do anything!  I think I'll go rape a different one today."
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ^^^
    Apparently, [some] conservatives insist on their own brand of vomit.
     :D 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    So Fred, you think we should invade countries that can't take care of crime themselves?  F-diplomacy or garnering international support to influence or pressure a local government to act....lets just roll in with guns blazing and write another multi-trillion dollar check when we end up in another war.

Brilliant.  You're f*cking brilliant. 
    Hey guys, so, I'm new here... Doing my first brisket... How you guys do it?  Whats the best rub?  Whats the best wood?  Whats the best controller?  Go!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options

There was some Twitter activity around this, where kids were taking pics of their lunches and thanking (sarcastically) Michelle Obama for them.  

I believe she was instrumental in improving health standards for school lunches.  But there is a pretty big chasm between that and being directly responsible for what's served in schools.  

My daughter said the food at her new school is much better, so there is one example siding with you.  

Our district got a bill approved to build a $58 million dollar stadium.  More proof that Texas don't play around with High School Football.  It is cray to me though, that is a crap ton of money for a stadium.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Hey guys, so, I'm new here... Doing my first brisket... How you guys do it?  Whats the best rub?  Whats the best wood?  Whats the best controller?  Go!  
    As far as the brisket goes use this method: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    So Fred, you think we should invade countries that can't take care of crime themselves?  F-diplomacy or garnering international support to influence or pressure a local government to act....lets just roll in with guns blazing and write another multi-trillion dollar check when we end up in another war.

Brilliant.  You're f*cking brilliant. 
    Your right again Nola.  Starting that hashtag campaign really got the job done.  Again, if you're going to do nothing about it, then do nothing.  Get a bleeding heart Hollywood type do the hashtag BS, not FLOTUS.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    As far as the brisket goes use this method: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1
    I need more!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2015
    Options

Another Muslim . . .

. . . caught brown-handed.

• nolaegghead
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't understand your rage over this, Fred.  We have a first lady trying to lobby the world for humanitarian reasons.  Hardly ground breaking, FLOTUS has been doing that kind of stuff forever.

Maybe I don't understand your point of view.  Maybe you see a monkey in that picture and it enrages you at some primal level.   Again, I'm not you, although I think the primal instinct in you is very strong.