Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Going for a Motorcycle Ride Down the Baja Peninsula

Options

I'm hoping for some honest input. I'm heading out for a motorcycle ride and thinking of riding down the Baja Peninsula to Cabo San Lucas. I plan to stop in San Diego to get Mexico insurance the day before and cross in Tijuana at 6:00 AM with a full tank of gas, ride south for about 300 miles before my first stop, then fuel and another 300 miles. Then I feel I can relax and enjoy the ride.

I've crossed into Mexico several times but never left the tourist area before. I've read that Tijuana isn't any more dangerous than Detroit. Don't ride at night and don't look for trouble.

Is this trip that dangerous? I've been riding for 25+ years, 280,000 riding and 17 years of road racing experience. I'm very experienced on a bike but just want some honest advice of what to expect.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    I'm not going to be much help but I've spent some time in San Diego. Most folks there say use common sense and don't drive at night. My favorite travel site says this:

"Effective 4/17/2015 Tecate police are pulling over cars with California plates and demanding fines for infractions they probably did not commit."

Have a safe and great trip. I'm jealous. My motorcycle  (Harley Road King) days ended with the birth of my 2nd child 7 years ago.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Put a fake official looking badge in your wallet.  When you pull out your ID, they'll probably think twice about f-ing with you.
    Options

I ride a Yamaha FJR1300. Here is a week ago on top of Bear Tooth pass in Wyoming.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    No lane splitting...
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Don't forget your Passport!! A side-arm may help or possibly be a problem.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    If you don't stop for 300 miles, that's a mistake.  Too much great stuff to see.  Stick to the toll road, not the libre.  Keep your cash in at least two places - if/when you have to pay any fines, you don't want to be pulling out a wad.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That's good advice with the money.  I would also run a GoPro constantly.  I have one in my car that's constantly on.

My R1100GS has about a 250 mile range with 6.6 gallon tank.  Plan your gas stops.

Don't bring in a sidearm unless you want to get arrested at the boarder.   Or worse.  Maybe some pepper spray, check regs.
    Options
    bigguy136 said:

I ride a Yamaha FJR1300. Here is a week ago on top of Bear Tooth pass in Wyoming.

The Beartooth's are awesome.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Mexico. Post lots of pics.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited September 2015
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/18/world/americas/missing-american-mexico/ I go all the time ( I'll be there in 3 weeks ) It is safe, but be careful, Roads are narrow and open range cattle- Had a friend got killed in a Head On on the way back from Cabo on his Harley...This was last year an American killed while touring on his bike
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Also watch the potholes. I made that trip about 12 years ago, unless they haves fixed them, there are some stretches that have severe potholes, especially the northern half. I recommend you have a stop over in Mulege, Love that town.  Once you get past Tijuana, the people in the Baja penninsula pretty much leave you alone. They rely on the tourism industry to survive. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    been a while since i was there but drive like everyone around you is on their second fifth of tequila, and stop lights are for directions, no one stops at them. if your staying in cabo make reservations way ahead of time, theres no discounts once your there. these things may have changed but i doubt it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/18/world/americas/missing-american-mexico/ I go all the time ( I'll be there in 3 weeks ) It is safe, but be careful, Roads are narrow and open range cattle- Had a friend got killed in a Head On on the way back from Cabo on his Harley...This was last year an American killed while touring on his bike

I was seeing a toll road just inside of Tijuana that was recommended. Is that the only toll road or is there a toll road going down Baja?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lkapigian
    Options
    That is the only one to my knowledge, are you going into Cabo?  600 miles day 1 is doable then 400 the next and you'll have clear sailing the las 400
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bigguy136
    Options

Sounds good. About how much cash should I have converted for tolls ect. I plan on using my debit card for most everything

Any advice on if I need a Mexico visa or will my passport work? Advice for getting Mexico insurance?

Thanks for all your help

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lkapigian
    edited September 2015
    Options
    bigguy136 said:

Sounds good. About how much cash should I have converted for tolls ect. I plan on using my debit card for most everything

Any advice on if I need a Mexico visa or will my passport work? Advice for getting Mexico insurance?

Thanks for all your help

Your welcome I think that toll will,get you most of the way, about 25 pesos at each post, there are Green Angels along the road 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • UncleFred
    Options
    I just finished Don Winslow's novel The Cartel.  A good read, but read it AFTER you get back, cuz if you read it before you might not go. =)

from an NPR review:
    It's a bit of a paradox that Winslow's smooth and consistently illuminating prose serves a narrative than can only appall the average reader — but that's what happens when you write a brilliant and informative work of fiction about a nightmare world that flourishes in the bright light of day.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    I've been to Mexico and did a MC tour of the country in 1998 or so with a good friend who is fluent. Had a great time. Fast forward to 2008 or so and the same friend is now living there with his Mexican born wife. Been trying to get me and the wife to come down for a visit. I just can't do it for safety reasons. There is no "legitimate law" in Mexico any longer. Same guy recently had the govt down there seize his $20,000+ vehicle on a bogus registration/tax issue. Held him for a full day, seized the vehicle. He has 24 hours to appeal which he did. They then have 6 months to process the appeal. 
    He overheard one of the agents telling the other they had scored a nice one this time. The guy replies telling the other to shut up as this victim speaks fluent Spanish. Ops. 
    Oh, there was a $10,0000 fine that he is also appealing. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Consider a credit card for the fraud protection over a debit, I would stick to a debit at banks only.  If you're set on using a debit, I wouldn't use one linked to your primary accounts, maybe even open a new account.

It's been a while since I was down there, but as I recall, most everyone wanted $US, but that may change when you're outside of the tourist areas.

• bigguy136
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I was at an eggfest today and leaving Minnesota in the morning to take my trip.
    It sounds like I should have some money converted to pesoes. For food, gas and hotels, I was planning on $100 a day. Should I have more or less before entering?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• lkapigian
    Options
    Make sure you call your cell provider and get international for 1 month or you'll get hammered . let your CC people know as well...100.00 per day is doable  but I usually blow 2 K a week excluding room and travel, it's that much fun
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dogfoot
    Options
    I was there 3 years ago expect the hassle of your life, cops are crooks and look for any way to screw you out of your money, Mex Army had road stops every 50 miles they like to inspect for bags, give them something they will let you go, the people are nice, food sucks, other than that I will never go back. be careful and don't take a gun.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some great advice to make my 1st time enjoyable.
    I'm still 1300 miles away but I should be able to do that tomorrow. 
    My plan is to stop in San Diego and but 7 days of Mexico insurance. I have my passport so I think I should be good. Is it still a bad idea to drink their water? Can I drink their coffee?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Steve753
    Options
    First of all, do NOT take a gun or ammo into Mexico. That's a good way to go to one of their prisons. A lot of the toll roads include insurance. Take some extra cash to pay the corrupt police officers that may stop you. I live in San Diego.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    Thanks everyone, some great advice to make my 1st time enjoyable.
    I'm still 1300 miles away but I should be able to do that tomorrow. 
    My plan is to stop in San Diego and but 7 days of Mexico insurance. I have my passport so I think I should be good. Is it still a bad idea to drink their water? Can I drink their coffee?
    the water down in cabo was fine but i would not even think about it elsewhere, especially tijuana
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigguy136
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sorry but I have given up. I've been on I-40 from Texas this morning and made it to Arizona but the rain, cold and strong winds has broke me. I turned around and going back home.
    Thanks everyone for all the help. I will put it to good use next summer as this ride is on my short list.
    Thanks again

Big Lake, Minnesota