Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken w/ Bacon Drippings

Options
I was thinking of trying to spatchcock a couple of chickens, and putting a second grid above it with some thick cut bacon. The idea would be to get the flavoring of the bacon drippings onto the chicken.  I realize I would need to cook this indirect to catch a lot of the drippings to avoid excesss smoke, possibly put some potatoes or something similar in a drip pan below the chicken.  Has anyone done anything like this?  

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Yes, that would work just fine, let your imagination be your guide, but how about this, beer can style chicken with a pan (like in the picture)  wrap the chicken with bacon,  add potatoes, carrots etc in the pan .. just a thought.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I cook potatoes and/or veggies under chicken all the time and it turns out really good.  I can only imagine how good it would be with bacon on top!  

Dare I say...my only concern would be too much fat...but that just means you need lots of potatoes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Bacon rain. Yum. 
    MBGE in Charleston

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Fry the bacon first and save the drippings, then use the drippings to baste your chicken. You have more control this way and it serves as a binder for your rub if you baste pre-cook.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 @Hawg Fan ,hate to say.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    Fry the bacon first and save the drippings, then use the drippings to baste your chicken. You have more control this way and it serves as a binder for your rub if you baste pre-cook.
    What a buzz kill......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA