Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LGE or XLGE

Options
My budget is more in line with the LGE but I am afraid it will be to small. I want to be able to smoke a whole packer brisket on whatever I buy.

I have seen references to laying the brisket on top of a rib rack to make it work. Does that really work out?  

Will I be okay with a large or should I just hold out until I can afford the XLGE?

Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• Davec433
    Options
    When I bought my XLBGE I had originally budgeted to buy a large. They had both of them set side by side and the XL was huge compared to the large and specially the 300 dollar difference I paid made it that much easier to justified to purchase the larger of the two since it'll probably keep me from buying another in the future. Go as big as you can afford.
  • leemschu
    Options
    I got a large and wish I had the XL just to fit more on it. But for now the large will do just fine for me. You learn to pack it full.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • jimithing
    Options
    Yes, you can put something like an upside down bowl underneath to make a packer fit.  You can also roll part of the flat underneath on itself.  I don't like either option myself.  Have you looked at them in person?  I had pretty much already made up my mind that I wanted an XL but looked at them a few times in person.  That helped me make up my mind. 

If XL's are a bit out of range you may see if there's an egg fest going on near you any time soon.  They usually sell the eggs used at the egg fest for much cheaper and they still come with all the warranty.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    ... Go as big as you can afford.
    It really depends on what you like to cook, and for how many people.  If someone GAVE me an XL I would hardly ever use it, and wouldn't really want it taking up space.  But we're all different.  If you like to have a bunch of people over pretty often, and/or you think you'll cook packer briskets very often, an XL might be worth going for rather than find yourself frustrated by a Large.

I've never even SEEN a packer brisket where I live, and it's usually just me and my wife I'm cooking for.  I have a Medium and a Large, and I use the Medium more often.  But it's too small, sometimes, and I'm glad I have a Large as well, and use it pretty often.  When the Large isn't enough, I've used them both at once.  LOTS of people cook packer briskets on the Large, and I don't hear them complaining, but I think if I were going to do that a lot, an XL would be better.

All I really wanted to say was that I do NOT think that bigger is necessarily better.  I wouldn't want an XL!  You need the right tool for the job, so it really depends on what the job is -- what YOU like to cook, and how YOU tend to entertain.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have cooked multiple 14 to 16# packer briskets on the large. Yes I have draped them over a rib rack or something similar for a few hours till they shrink up. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I bought my large first than my XL.  I can fit 90% of my cooks in the large. The other 10% I could find a way. The XL fits everything I cook but find it too big for most every night basic cooks.  Either way you won't go wrong. Get what best suits you

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My first was an XL, and I am very glad I bought it. I was thinking large initially, but we had some major events taking place, and the large would not handle it. I have used the XL frequently, and have not had second thoughts. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    How many people do you regularly cook for? If the answer is four or more, get the XL. Less than four, a Large will suffice for almost all your cooks. How many full packers will you cook in a year? Measure that against the extra cost of the large, plus extra fuel cost. 

FWIW, there is no downside that I've found to splitting the point from the flat and doing them tiered. The best answer I got for not doing that that was, "We've always done them as full packer." So I split them, did them tiered, and the brisket was excellent.
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    Cooking for 10+ is a regular occurrence for me. Four in the house and almost always have friends and their kids around. I guess that concerns me as well as fitting in my brisket. 
  • Mosca
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Then no question you should get the XL and not look back. The Large will not be big enough.
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    If you get the large , you will always been wondering.......what if....
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Why not 2 Large's so you can share accessories?  Remember by the time you get the XL and accessories you could almost have two larges....just sayin'.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Why not 2 Large's so you can share accessories?  Remember by the time you get the XL and accessories you could almost have two larges....just sayin'.
    I like how you think but I don't think I even want to try selling the wife on that...
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    GO big or go home.... ;) 
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    Xl all the way. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Buckeye79 said:
    RedSkip said:
    I like how you think but I don't think I even want to try selling the wife on that...
    My 2nd large came with a table so the wife was on board. ;)

Go Blue!
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I will be the odd man out and a Large and Small or medium combo.   2 temp zone cooking at its finest.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lowandslow
    Options
    No doubt, get the XL.  I struggled with the same thing.   I am so glad I decided on the XL, especially for entertaining.  I think the Large is too small.  Rack of ribs tend to be bigger than the platesetter on the Large. and a large brisket will not fit.  

Also, you will never have to buy another grill again.  The egg will outlive you and me.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Mosca
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Large is fine for two or three people, and will accommodate four. But there is no way it will work for larger groups on a regular basis. You can do an occasional garden party with a large, but you wouldn't want to have to do that regularly. Me, I'm glad I have the Large instead of the XL. But were I in your position it would be the other way around. 

To those who suggested more than one BGE, notice in Buckeye79's first sentence, "My budget is more in line with the LGE...." And he further alludes to another interested party. Buckeye79 can let Mrs Buckeye79 taste and discover the wonders of the BGE, and then, in time, add the second Egg!

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Before I bought mine I was fortunate to have friends with both, I went with the XL and have never regretted it.  My father in law has the large, he is happy but there are times he says he should have gotten the XL.  I have never heard the opposite.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have a XL, L and M.  If I could have only one it would be a XL.  @lowandslow makes a great point.  The platesetter on the XL will cover an entire rack of BB Ribs.  On the large you need the AR R&B combo with the oval stone.  I find it the easiest to maintain temperature and makes great large pizzas.  They are all good but the XL is the most versatile IMHO.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • coooltroy
    Options
    I CAN HELP YOU.  Your first one should be the XL especially if your not needing to bring it places.  The L will burn outer edges of pizzas (maybe the greatest thing to cook on BGE if you could vote such a thing).  I bought a L BGE as I was going to bring it from my house to my cabin and pro BBQ comp.  I just bought my XL BGE today as too many times Ive needed more space.  No brainer here.   Make sure to get a Kick Ash Basket, its one of the best things you can get for it.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Both sizes are great, family size and amount of food you typically cook is a good start to asses your needs. I use my large for most of my regular cooks and save the XL for bigger cooks.  I have had 24 pounds (2 x 12 lb) briskets on my large just to give you an idea.  You can pack a lot of meat on the large if you need to.  I think you will be happy whichever way you decide to go, enjoy! 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    If yer around Cbus there's an eggfest coming up and maybe get a deal on an XL.  Get the biggest one you can.....
    Go Blue!!
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    Sounds like I need to hold out until I can afford the XLGE. That is what my gut was telling me. You guys have confirmed it. 

Thanks for all the input! 
  • canuck19
    Options
    no brainer I bought an XL and it was the best decision i have made 
    the pizzas are amazing on it with the extra space and if you get the large you will one day wish you went bigger