Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Randomness from last weekend

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Received a belly and unfrenched rack from Berkwood Farms.

Picked up some Rockwood to see what the fuss is all about.  2 caveman, 2 seared on CS.  More sparks than the Mesquite crap from Sams.  Sparks were shooting at least 4 ft from the egg, even shooting out of the closed screen.  Had to throw on the safety glasses.  Tried a second time raised direct CI skillet brat beer simmer.  Same thing, 4th of July.  Couldn't capture the sparks in the dark for the brat cook, but this was what I caught with the chop cook.  And this is mild.

No bueno

Glad we only bought three bags, which will be dedicated for low and slows.  Nowhere near worth $25/bag compared to $9-10 RO HD 17lbers.  When talking with another seasoned egger, they too, ranked it below Sam's Mesquite lump.

Caveman   

CS

For the first NFL Sunday, we did two batches of some venison stuffed frito scoops thanks to a recent post.  Ground bambi, onion, garlic, roasted hatch, ground hatch, kosher, white pepper.  

Guac'd and locked. 

QC approved by my 8 yr old, end of plate #1.  

Brined and rotiss'd a 12lb bird.  Slathered in house mayo and Walkerswood Jerk paste, stuffed with lemon and lime.  
Cherry wood and Comp K.  Started out at 275, let it creep to 350.  Glazed at the end with some honey and pineapple juice added to the house Q sauce. 

Use the BGE extender more for drying, curing and resting, than in the egg.

The Turk Jerk was killer.  Definitely livened things up.

And lastly, received my CA.....tis true, I am a Thermoworks whore.  Picked up the Guru pit probe holder at Prescotts in Sterling, IL.

thanks for lookin'

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments