Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite store Or internet bought rubs (not homemade)

Options
What are your favorite store (or Internet) bought rubs for beef, pork, chicken, and fish?  I see a lot of posts mentioning 'Dizzy Dust' and looking into it, I see there are MANY varieties. So which ones are your favorites? I don't have the time to experiment and make my own right now so any help is appreciated. 
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I like McCormick's Montreal steak Rub. For DP I like Red Eye Express, Cow Lick, Raising the Steaks. I even do a Red eye and Raising the steaks combo. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Oakridge rubs are superb.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Best all around rub in my opinion 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm enjoying Meat Church rubs right now.  Going through my Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot rubs way too fast.  Also have their Holy Cow rub and Season All rubs as well.  When I re-order I'll add some Bacon BBQ and Deez Nuts rub as well.  I've really enjoyed them.

I absolutely love my baby back ribs with Honey Hog for the rub and Blues Hog Smokey Mtn as the sauce.  Perfect combo for me.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    All of the Meatchurch rubs are AWESOME!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Both oak ridge and dizzy pig have samplers you can order.  

I definitely recommend the oak ridge sampler:
    https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/ultimate-value-sample-rub-pack/

at $5 it is a no brainer (includes shipping).  I just ordered another one because I want to try some new stuff they added. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've been enjoying making some rubs, lately, but for a few years I've really loved all of the Dizzy Pig products.  The ones I've used the most have been Dizzy Dust as a general rub for practically anything, Swamp Venom for practically anything, Cowlick for steaks or burgers, Raising the Steaks for some reason I mostly use on burgers.  But I've tried every one they make and they're all wonderful.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    The best rubs are the ones you get from the forums exchange. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    Good recommendations so far.  Meat Church rubs are great and a good deal at 12 ounces each bottle.  I like that the hot uses Jalapenos instead of cayenne so there is some added flavour. OakRidge makes great rubs as well.  I use the Death Dust on just about everything to add some heat.  I'm going to do a Brisket this weekend to try their Brisket Rub.

Some other one off favorites are Smokin Guns Hot (good black and red pepper kick but not overpoweringly spicy) and Cimmaron Docs Sweet Rib Rub (nice smoky flavour).
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • BKD
    BKD Posts: 10
    Options
    Meat Church on my top shelf!

1 XL BGE

2 Med BGE

1 Mini Max

• calracefan
    Options
    Blues Hog
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • GATraveller
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Dizzy pig, meat church, caribeque, pork u
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Davec433
    Options
    SWMBO loves McCormic BBQ which surprised me. Beginning of the month my samplers from DP and Oakridge arrived. The ones I like the most are Red Eye Express and Happy Nancy. I'll be using the Oakridge Vension and Game Rub on some Bison I have stashed in the freezer probably this weekend. I love Dillo Dust by Larue but I use it sparingly since I can't find it anywhere.
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Definitely Oakridge. Love that stuff.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    My favorite rub is MONEY rub from big poppa smokers. That stuff is MONEY!

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • gerhardk
    Options
    I liked dizzy pig as well but then the local store no longer sold the large bulk bags so I went to making my own.  Just buy some brown sugar, paprika, powdered garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, cracked pepper and pepper flakes.  When I started I made some to spicy and some with too little kick but all where very useable.   I like my own rub better now than any of them and the savings are huge.

Gerhard
  • johnl350
    Options
    My go to rubs are Dizzy Pig (cow lick, shaking the tree, dizzy dust, swamp venom, raging river). My other favorite is Southern Flavor, which is made in my hometown and I grew up on it. Check them out www.southernflavor.com
  • chrisc133
    Options
    I really like Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.  I've also used Bad Byrons and the Costco branded stuff...they are OK.

I just ordered the Meatchurch tailgate pack...will see how I like it compared to Dizzy Dust.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    My favorite DP rubs are Tsunami Spin, Raging River, Shakin' the Tree, Red eye, and Dizzy Dust.  Favorites from Oakridge are Black Ops Brisket Rub and Secret Weapon.  Others that get lots of use are The Rub Company Santa Maria Style and Plowboys Yardbird.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Dizzy Pig for sure.  Red eye is my #1.  Dizzy Dust for pork butts.  Curry-ish is used all around on veggies, spatchcock chickens.  Mediterranean-ish is great on salads and pizza.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The freshness of the spice is everything.  Some companies keep inventory down and freshness up, like Dizzy Pig.  I like Byron's Butt Rub on my Brisket.  My buddy is friends with Byron Chism and picked up a few in person last month, which was great because I was out of it.
    The freshness of the spice is everything.  Some companies keep inventory down and freshness up, like Dizzy Pig.  I like Byron's Butt Rub on my Brisket.  My buddy is friends with Byron Chism and picked up a few in person last month, which was great because I was out of it.
    Byron makes a great seafood rub as well called Jubilee 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Honest to goodness sometimes I think you could just mix them all up and they'd taste the same.

That being said, I'm partial to those mixed up by Fred Bernardo at Tasty Licks, a/k/a Fred's Music and BBQ, in Shillington PA. (Fred is also a BGE dealer.)
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have used many over the years and pretty much these two are my go to or I use them as a base and add to it. And yes this is the rub that is made by EggObsessed (Kelly) and No Joke Smoke (Bruce). It is used in their famous award wining Brisket Chili. Hell I use it in everything! It's what makes my "Not So White Salas" so good.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    GA!  Meant to tell you I used the rub you sent me on my brisket last weekend.  Was excellent!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Oakwood BBQ:

Competition Rib Rub

Beef and Poultry Rub

Habanero Death Dust! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Both oak ridge and dizzy pig have samplers you can order.  

I definitely recommend the oak ridge sampler:
    https://www.oakridgebbq.com/shop/ultimate-value-sample-rub-pack/

at $5 it is a no brainer (includes shipping).  I just ordered another one because I want to try some new stuff they added. 

Thanks for the recommendation. For $5, that is a no brainer. Always looking to try something new.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Big fan of Kosmos Dirty Bird for chicken. The Oakridge Santa Maria is great on beef as well.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• clifkincaid
    Options
    Meat church for me...just ordered another $60 worth a little bit ago!