Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moisture in my Tel-Tru Thermo

Options
A31unit
A31unit Posts: 199
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Anybody know why this moisture spot is always in my dome thermo?  Always!
Sorry. The adult beverage science is a bit more accurate at this point than my brisket cook.

LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    That's already happening to mine too
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    My 3 year old one does not, my 2 month old one does
    XL times 2
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I toss mine in sealed ziplock bag and bury it in dry rice overnight (at least) or a couple days if possible and usually its gone when you take it out.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think it's under warranty for 1 year. You may be able to get a replacement. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You can drill a really small hole on the side. I have posted pics here several times just don't feel like searching right now.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    x2 on what @Lit said

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mine does that as well.  

As of my last cook, it stopped working all together.  Did a rib cook, never got the temp above 275.  Shut the Egg down, came out next morning and the temp gauge was stuck and never moved.  It's constantly reading around 300 right now.  Need to take it out of the Egg and mess around with it a bit.  See if I can fix it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Lit said:
    You can drill a really small hole on the side. I have posted pics here several times just don't feel like searching right now.
    Just to clarify a small point ... the hole needs to be in the outer edge (side) like @Lit said, but at the bottom of the face.  Think of it as a hole to allow moisture to evaporate out, but no new liquid to drain in.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Mine does that as well.  

As of my last cook, it stopped working all together.  Did a rib cook, never got the temp above 275.  Shut the Egg down, came out next morning and the temp gauge was stuck and never moved.  It's constantly reading around 300 right now.  Need to take it out of the Egg and mess around with it a bit.  See if I can fix it.
    I had one stick like this once. I re calibrated it and it worked fine after.
  • fljoemon
    Options
    Here's the pic of the hole drilled on the Tel-Tru
    Picturejpg
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Lit said:
    YEMTrey said:
    Mine does that as well.  

Thanks for that info @Lit , I'll try that.
    Steve 

• A31unit
    Options
    Seems like if there's a hole drilled it could also let moisture in
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You could do what I did... accidentally drop the thing on some pavers and break the glass. =) Pull out whatever shards are left and keep on grillin'. Voilà, no more condensation! Water hasn't hurt it, but I DO have to be careful not to damage the needle! =) I guess I'll have to come up with Plan B when the snow starts to fall.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Michael :lol: 3 meter drop check huh. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Options
    A31unit said:
    Seems like if there's a hole drilled it could also let moisture in
    That's why you drill the bottom so it just lets it out. Even if you leave it upside down and it fills with water it will just drain and dry.
  • A31unit
    Options
    Thanks for the responses
  • YEMTrey
    Options
    Lit said:
    YEMTrey said:
    Mine does that as well.  

Thanks @Lit this worked.  I got it calibrated last night and it works like a charm again.  Thanks for the post/help!
    Steve