Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seeking advise concerning 2nd Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Currently I own an Xlg Egg and want to acquire another smaller egg. I believe a smaller egg may be more appropriate since I normally cook for 2 to 4 during the week and larger groups on the weekends. Cost is not an issue. What size would you purpose I get considering the above?
Thanks
Bob

Comments

• Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    FL Bob,[p]IMO I'd get a medium unless you possibly want to haul around the little brother for camping, tailgating, etc. I have a large and a medium and I mostly cook for 2-3 but often I'll do things that I think would be tight on a small although I haven't cooked on one personally.[p]Todd
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    FL Bob,[p]I would get a small or a large. The small is nice for smaller cooks, fairly portable, and is a great addition. I love my small and use it quite often. If you think the small is smaller than you want my 2nd choice would be a large. It isn't much more than a medium dollar wise and the extra space comes in handy. My first egg was a large and I was going to buy a medium for my second but got the large instead for the above reasons. I am very happy with the decision. [p]Chuck [p]
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I started with a large and just added a second large and that's working out really well. Since you already have an XL, perhaps adding a medium wouldn't be a bad way to go. I just know if I had the XL and added the medium, sooner or later I'd be kicking myself for not getting something bigger because there will be situations where I'll be needing more cooking area.[p]I was debating a topic very similar to this one with my local BGE dealer just the other day. I liken this situation to dogs. I own and show a Bull Terrier - 65lbs. of steel. There are also Miniature Bull Terriers and I have friends that like them too. But I always figured, "Why get a mini when a full size will do just fine?" But that's just me![p]Decisions! Decisions![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    I got a large first, then added a mini and a small. Then I sold the mini and the small and bought a second large, and I'm very content now. [p]Unless I get the deck add-on I want. Then it's more eggs and an outdoor kitchen!![p]But mum's the word. Don't tell Eggsellent...
  • California Sooner
    Options
    FL Bob,[p]I recently added a small to go with my XL. Seems like a great combination to me. It sits on a table out of the way while the XL is free to roam the patio in its nest![p]Enjoy![p]Jim

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    FL Bob,
    I would just step down to a large.[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    FL Bob,
    It depends on what your needs/wants are. Do you want it to be portable, as in would you want to take it to a picnic or on a trip? Then the small might be what you want. At 60 pounds, it is just about portable, yet it can do most everything the large egg can do, just in smaller quantities. If not, then a large might be the ticket for your second egg.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • trackman
    trackman Posts: 47
    Options
    I have an XL and was in the same position you were about 6 months ago. I decided to go the route of getting a mini thinking that all I really wanted it for was small sides or a single steak while I'm using the XL. Big Mistake on my part !! Don't get me wrong, the mini is great also but I wish I had gotten a small. The mini is just not big enough in my opinion to cook enough food at once for 4 people (wife and 2 kids). I'm now at the point that when we go to the beach or something like that I either have to take a little Smokey Joe with me or stagger when we eat.

My advice would be to go with a small.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FL Bob,
    I would agree with Chuck below about getting a large over a medium because the dollar difference is not that much for the extra space. I have the lg,med,small & mini.[p]
    Good luck,
    Bordello

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Hey if money isn't a problem. I recommend that you buy a large, medium, small and a mini. Use them all, decide which size you like best. Then, (here is the important part), ship me the three remaining grills and I'll make sure they have a good home. ;)

Seriously, I am having the same dilemma. Like you I currently have the XL. Two weeks ago I was in Atlanta and compared the sizes side by side and still couldn't decide between the medium and the small. I did decide the mini was too small. The trouble for me is how important is portability. I have season tickets for the Cincinnati Bengals and like to tailgate. I also want to be able to take it other places too. I still haven't made up my mind.

I did get a chimnea though and I love it.

Rollocks
  • Unknown
    Options
    FL Bob,
    I have a large that I am very happy with.
    I usually cook for 3 and sometimes 4 or five.
    For me it's the perfect size
    Good Luck

• Unknown
    Options
    FL Bob,[p]We have all the sizes except the XL. As others have said, if you don't intend to transport it, go with the large. If you want to take it with you sometimes, I would choose the med, unless you plan on taking it a bunch, then I might consider the small, but I like the medium better.[p]Larry