Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg help

Hoping the "regular" Egg "big guns" chime in here...  I have had my large BGE for a few months now, but have my first Fantasy Football league cook this sun, doing a SRF Brisket and there are 30-40 people coming.  Its not the first time I have "had" to use use my island gas grill to help feed the masses, but now I am considering getting a an XL or XXL to eliminate this issue  ;-).  I have limited BGE experience and have seen many stacked cooks, but seems less than optimal to do so especially with different meats.  Can you provide the pros and cons, I have read a few posts about XXL being too big.... so I really am curious what you all think of an XL L combo or XXL L combo.

Comments

• In case your wondering, I am now thinking of doing pork butt with the brisket.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    All I have is a large, and there have plenty of times I wish I had more room. Haven't heard a lot of feedback about the XXL, but I think an XL would be fine, unless you are regularley cooking for 30+
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • I have an XL. You can put a lot of meat on that grate..............but not for 40 hungry people unless you stack /  cook ahead. A XL/L combo would come close. Just how many briskets are you considering? 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    You can buy 3 XL's for the price of an XXL. With an XL and a L, you can cook lots, especially if you get a 2 tier setup for both. With 2 tiers, I've done 8 butts in my XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • @jabam thanks.   @SmokingPiney thanks and I am doing 1 one brisket on my Large, and two butts or so on the new one.  I have had this problem multiple times, and also think the XL or XXL would be best for XL pizza.  The large tends to overcook the edge of larger pizzas.
  • @DMW, was hoping to get your feedback, thanks!  Also, I am going to see Pitt play Cinn Nov 1, do you have a restaurant in PA??  If you do Im going :-).  Sounds like an XL and L will be fine for me.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    coooltroy said:
    @DMW, was hoping to get your feedback, thanks!  Also, I am going to see Pitt play Cinn Nov 1, do you have a restaurant in PA??  If you do Im going :-).  Sounds like an XL and L will be fine for me.
    Lol, my "restaurant" is my deck. And I'm about a 5 hour drive east of Pitt, but if you want to make the drive, let me know and I'll have something cooking for you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • @DMW wow, your "cooks" would lead most to believe you do it for a living!  
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    XL / L is a great combo for me.  I have done a few cooks here with 40 or more including pulled pork, briskets, ribs, and chicken and steak fajitas during different events.  

I have cooked on the XXL twice now and it is nice and I will say it actually cooks similar to the large in regards to heat and control.  I found it to be pretty efficient on charcoal and there was no shortage of room. It would be ideal for large families, big parties or catering for sure.  I have to also mention, It's price tag is equal to its massive size!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have an XL, I have cooked enough on it for 30, on several occasions. XXL, unless you will be hosting large gatherings every night of 40+, is not necessary. A L and an XL will be all you will need.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    DMW said:
    coooltroy said:
    @DMW, was hoping to get your feedback, thanks!  Also, I am going to see Pitt play Cinn Nov 1, do you have a restaurant in PA??  If you do Im going :-).  Sounds like an XL and L will be fine for me.
    Lol, my "restaurant" is my deck. And I'm about a 5 hour drive east of Pitt, but if you want to make the drive, let me know and I'll have something cooking for you.

I don't know anything about cooking for large groups of people, but I'd definitely take @DMWup on the offer. Wouldn't even think twice.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have a XL and L, both with Adjustable Rigs.  That would allow you to easily to cook for 40. The two units give you the ability to cook at two temps as well. If I could only have one it would be the XL.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • I have an xl and have cooked for 25 on it doing a 9 lb pork butt and 10 lb beef chuck roast and had left overs 
    by the way the xl does the best pizzas I have ever eaten 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I have an XL and L combo. I have never had a problem with enough meat. My problem was always with the side items. Side items IMO take up more room. I do own the AR for my XL. I also have a handmade two tier for my large. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• You are going to LOVE that SRF Brisket.  Head and shoulders above any you'll ever do!!!  Enjoy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    edited September 2015
    I just picked up the XL (Dang its heavy, I could lift my L alone but this one is too much I think) to go with my L... It looks like a perfect pair!  Now the question is should I get a controller or just use the one I have and do brisket with the controller and go without for the shorter cook items.  I know its mainly a convenience.  hmmm.  decisions decisions.
  • Man, I went to bed at 12 am, woke up at 1:30 to get Eggs going and rub meats (Butt and SRF Brisket) Had meat on grills by 2:20, up at 5am and church road warrior at 7.  Flameboss 200 allowed me to go for a few hours, back at 10am and with all the work missed all pics but the serve tray for the brisket!  IT WAS INCREDIBLE.  Fantasy football league was treated to great brisket and pork tacos/sandwiches/plain ol great meat.  Thanks for the great input to help make this happen!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great!  How did you end up arranging the meat on the large?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    DMW said:

Lol, my "restaurant" is my deck. 

Another opportunity for this classic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_XVioiKXM  
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • @SmokeyPitt , thanks, bought an XL to go with my L, had the brisket on the XL.  Although I only had a 7lb shoulder so I could have done the brisket with the shoulder on the L.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    coooltroy said:
    @SmokeyPitt , thanks, bought an XL to go with my L, had the brisket on the XL.  Although I only had a 7lb shoulder so I could have done the brisket with the shoulder on the L.
    Ahhh...I skipped over the part where you said you bought the XL.  Congrats on the new XL! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thanks @SmokeyPitt looking forward to the first XL pizza, no burnt ends lol!