Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

May be a dumb question?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of the chili recipes have beer in them. I would assume that during the time for simmering it will remove the alcohol. Am I right?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Doug Winter,[p]Yes, same with adding any alcohol to food that is cooked.
    It leaves all but the evaporated alcohol behind.[p]Tim

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Doug Winter,[p] Tim's correct,after cooking for any length of time all
    signs would be removed from the chile. You would never
    even notice it, except for in the flaver.[p] Earl

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    doug winter,
    when i cook, brunswick stew, or other recipes that call for beer i use a dark beer or a wheat beer - seems to add more flavor

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Doug Winter,[p] Alcohol will evaporate during cooking, but just like the simmering process, it takes some time. This occurs because alcohol begins to evaporate at 172F, which is lower than the temp water does. This also means that if you simmer at a low temp, the process will be very slow . . . For a short article on the subject, see:[p]Cooking with Alcohol[p]For a table of cooking times vs. remaining alcohol content to use as a guide, see:[p]Alcohol Remaining in Your Food[p]A couple good rules to apply are:[p]1. Don't use any beer or wine that you wouldn't drink in food.
    2. Use a non-alcoholic product if anyone who will be eating the food is allergic to alcohol.[p]MikeO

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    I should also add that if you simmer the chili with the lid on the pot, the alcohol will not be able to escape very easily. It'll condense on the lid and drip back in just like the water will.[p]MikeO