Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Consumption

124»

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2015
    KennyLee said:

1.  5-7 lbs.

2.  6-8 cooks

3.  Most hot and fast, i.e., chicken, hanger steak, burgers, steak and one low and slow, usually ribs or a butt.

Now I know it's reading comprehension.  Seriously.  Do you take a moment to soak things in when you read?  You should.  I bolded it for you.   

Out of 6-8 cooks, I said I do ONE (1) low and low.  And that's probably high compared to the others actually. How long does it take you to grill chicken?  Takes me 25-30 minutes from the minute I fire up the torch until I shut down the Egg, which is actually a little less than @HeavyG's example where he burned 3/4 of a pound.  The chicken is hot and fast.  I never said otherwise.  That was just in your vivid imagination.

And even in my occasional low and slow, I don't use much lump at all.  Normally have about 30-40% wood chunks too. 

You lose this one.....sorry, man.    

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Also look at your post. Well just use your low end estimations. You do 6 cooks on 5lbs one is a low and slow. That shoulder you cooked used 4lbs so now you have to do 5 cooks on 1lb. See where your logic is flawed? 
  • Nope....that would be assuming that I'm doing a shoulder AND assuming I use 4 lbs. of lump (you assume a lot....like chicken is always a low and slow).

First of all, it would be less than 5 lbs. in the first 6 cooks AND less than 4 lbs. on average to do a butt or ribs.  Actually do probably three times as many rib cooks as butts also, which makes a difference.   Hell even at HeavyG's average, I'm at 4.5.  And mine are on average less than his timewise.

Bottom line is you are wrong.  I wouldn't sit here and tell you your experience is wrong because I have no knowledge of yours.  I don't know how long you let your fire go before putting the food on, I don't know how long you let your fire burn after you take it off, just as you have zero clue when it comes to my cook.

And I never mentioned hot dogs.....never cooked 'em, at least on the Egg.  Another assumption on your part.

Nothing more annoying when the guy who thinks he's the smartest in the room is anything but.    

LBGE

• Lit
    KennyLee said:
    KennyLee said:

1.  5-7 lbs.

2.  6-8 cooks

3.  Most hot and fast, i.e., chicken, hanger steak, burgers, steak and one low and slow, usually ribs or a butt.

Now I know it's reading comprehension.  Seriously.  Do you take a moment to soak things in when you read?  You should.  I bolded it for you.   

Out of 6-8 cooks, I said I do ONE (1) low and low.  And that's probably high compared to the others actually. How long does it take you to grill chicken?  Takes me 25-30 minutes from the minute I fire up the torch until I shut down the Egg, which is actually a little less than @HeavyG's example where he burned 3/4 of a pound.  The chicken is hot and fast.  I never said otherwise.  That was just in your vivid imagination.

And even in my occasional low and slow, I don't use much lump at all.  Normally have about 30-40% wood chunks too. 

You lose this one.....sorry, man.    

What chicken are you cooking in 25 minutes including warming up the egg cutlets? I'm done here you obviously are just making crap up. And chicken is not considered a hot and fast cook.
  • KennyLee
    edited September 2015

You should be done. 

Ever heard of chicken breasts, chicken fajitas, chicken wings?  Seriously, man.  What is with you?  I do at least 3-5 lbs. of chicken fajitas a week.  Takes me about 25-30 minutes start to finish.  And that is grilling them indirect too at around 350*-400*.  How is that not a hot and fast cook?  Do you smoke yours for 10 hours? 

I just don't get how you can call BS on people like you have in this thread.  People cook different things with different methods for different lengths of time.  That's the great thing about the Egg, the versatility.  Not everyone's results are going to be the same, and they shouldn't be as everyone does things differently.  I clearly stated mine in response to the OP's question based on over three years of experience and you called ****.  You were wrong.   

LBGE

• Lit
    You do realize chicken breasts take 30-45 minutes at 350 indirect? If you are cooking your chicken wings in under 30 minutes you probably need to try something different. So that's the answer in 3 years you still haven't learned how to cook.
  • KennyLee
    edited September 2015

I said chicken fajitas.  Seriously....can you comprehend?  Wow.... 

I'll end this by enlightening you that there are people who know how to cook (I am one and my family would agree) that do things differently than you.  I know that's obviously a very hard thing for you to grasp, but true nonetheless.

Good luck with the next cook. 

LBGE

• Lit
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
     Ladeback69, thanks... I really wasn't fishing for answers so I could understand what I might expect to burn. I was just asking to see what people went through. No matter what everyone opines, we all will burn what we burn, when we burn what we burn, to cook, what we cook. (and for you English Majors out there, relax on my punctuation).

For the record, by this weekend, I will be through a 20 lb bag of Rockwood in two weeks. All but two, maybe three, of my cooks have been posted in that span.

My drink of choice, most any craft beer concocted by Lagunitas or Founders. You can toss a few others in there as well, and I do enjoy some Belgians as well.

If you are talking spirits than vodka would be my preference. However, I will not shy a way from a good whiskey.

Wine? I am partial to a malbec or chianti classico Riserva.

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    @Lit is just polling for support. He is trying to tell everyone that a 4 minute cook will use at least a pound of lump. I disagree. That's the equivalent of burning 15 pounds an hour. My small egg would be glowing red burning15 pounds an hour. On low and slow cooks I burn about 1/3 pound per hour.
  • Lit
    Mikee said:
    @Lit is just polling for support. He is trying to tell everyone that a 4 minute cook will use at least a pound of lump. I disagree. That's the equivalent of burning 15 pounds an hour. My small egg would be glowing red burning15 pounds an hour. On low and slow cooks I burn about 1/3 pound per hour.
    Mikee you are a little slow aren't you? Your dumb ass keeps saying a pound in 4 minutes but you aren't mentioning the ramp up time or the cool down time. The guy above who tested it even burned 3/4 of a pound just doing a quick burger cook so I am pretty sure my average of atleast a pound a cook is correct unless you only cook burgers and dogs.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited September 2015
    This stuff has me rolling. :rofl: 

When my daughter came to visit me two summers ago, she said "That thing sure takes a lot of charcoal" as she watched me fill up the empty LBGE. My response was that it didn't really use that much lump and I can reuse it. After a few weeks go by, she says "That egg really does use a lot of charcoal and your not really reusing it if you keep adding more every time you cook".
    Then the gotcha question came.

Her: If it doesn't use very much charcoal, why do you order a 100lbs. at a time?  

Me: Free shipping. 

Her: Free shipping or not,  you're still using 100lbs. That's a lot of charcoal.  You're not fooling anybody but yourself. 

Point is, I think we all use more than what we say we do. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @stemc33 ... it always amazes me that we continue to allow our offspring to live.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stemc33
    @stemc33 ... it always amazes me that we continue to allow our offspring to live.
    I'm just lucky my wife wasn't present during the conversations. I try to get the lump into the garage before she sees it. Again, probably only fooling myself. :smiley: 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited September 2015
    I think all of us do things differently and cook different things. Just saying chicken doesn't begin to describe the many variations of cooking a chicken.

Cooking a whole chicken for example vs. chicken breasts is entirely different. Cooking chicken breasts vs. slices of chicken breasts on a skewer will of course cook differently also.

Additionally, we haven't even begun to discuss the fact that some might be using XL vs. Mini which could lead to entirely different results.

So, for what it's worth, no need to jump on someone else on the forum. It's not a fact so just take it as it is.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    stemc33 said:
    ... I try to get the lump into the garage before she sees it. Again, probably only fooling myself. :smiley: 
    @stem33 ... @Ozzie_Isaac measured the lump usage in an XL egg for a low-n-slow cook on a cold day at 0.4lb/hour including start-up, cook, and cool down time.  Our dealer is currently selling Rockwood for around $21 or $22.  That's in the range of $0.45 an hour ... where else can you get so much enjoyment for so little cost per hour?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stemc33
    stemc33 said:
    ... I try to get the lump into the garage before she sees it. Again, probably only fooling myself. :smiley: 
    @stem33 ... @Ozzie_Isaac measured the lump usage in an XL egg for a low-n-slow cook on a cold day at 0.4lb/hour including start-up, cook, and cool down time.  Our dealer is currently selling Rockwood for around $21 or $22.  That's in the range of $0.45 an hour ... where else can you get so much enjoyment for so little cost per hour?
    I like this math. Since I'm cooking on a large and a MM, my cost per hour should be about 30¢ . :money: 

A simpler way to look at it is if I burn 400lbs. per/year then I'm averaging about 1.1lbs. per day. Too many cooks to count. 

This stuff hurts my brain thinking about it. Egging is much funnier when math isn't involved. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    stemc33 said:
    This stuff has me rolling. :rofl: 

When my daughter came to visit me two summers ago, she said "That thing sure takes a lot of charcoal" as she watched me fill up the empty LBGE. My response was that it didn't really use that much lump and I can reuse it. After a few weeks go by, she says "That egg really does use a lot of charcoal and your not really reusing it if you keep adding more every time you cook".
    Then the gotcha question came.

Her: If it doesn't use very much charcoal, why do you order a 100lbs. at a time?  

Me: Free shipping. 

Her: Free shipping or not,  you're still using 100lbs. That's a lot of charcoal.  You're not fooling anybody but yourself. 

Point is, I think we all use more than what we say we do. 

I only add more lump an a later cook if it was a low & slow.  Most of the times I just relight it until it looks like it won't last through a cook then add some more.  For another L&S, I clean it out, add new and leave room for the old on top.  Lately I am not egging as much for some reason so I have been on one bag of Rockwood for about 3 weeks now.  I guess I could ask my dealer how much I have bought and figure an average, but I really don't care as long as I don't have to buy propane anymore.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • You all have to remember @lit is calculating from the busted bags of rockwood from firecraft. Bet them bags were short lump before they packed it.

and really people??? We spend thousands of dollars on the eggs and you tight a$$es are worried about a 20.00 bag of lump?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lit
    @badinfluence I don't think the monetary side was ever discussed it was just questioning the usage reported.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    We all know that usage will vary from brand to brand. Not trying to be argumentative but some lump burns faster than others to maintain the same temp. Some (me) will let the egg burn for a bit before and after a cook, some get clear (mostly) smoke and meat goes on and as soon as it's off the vents get closed. To each their own. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited September 2015
    The real question that needs to be asked, is; How much bourbon was consumed during this blog at this point by all those who have contributed?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    It hope this thread does not die before the alcohol starts flowing this weekend.  This could be fun. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    You all have to remember @lit is calculating from the busted bags of rockwood from firecraft. Bet them bags were short lump before they packed it.

and really people??? We spend thousands of dollars on the eggs and you tight a$$es are worried about a 20.00 bag of lump?
    I couldn't care less about the price of lump. I was just curious about how much might actually be consumed in a typical cook - based on actual data and not guesstimates/assumptions.

I also couldn't care less about the price of gas but I still like to know how many MPG's I get with each fillup.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I had some lump. I cooked. Now I have less.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 1 bag of WG Jake's Blend every two weeks, I typically cook 4 nights a week and one low and slow each weekend. And I have no idea and i don't care what my car gets for MPG.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I started with a full bottle of Basil Hayden this evening, thus far I have only used 8 oz. I put four ounces of ice in the Yeti, and I still have 2.4 ounces left. The Basil Hayden has consumed 1.6 ounces of ice, and I have consumed 9.6 ounces of liquid.  Friday will be Epic!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just want to know how much people will lose their sh!t over a topic as banal as the quantity of burning charcoal.  No offense the the OP.  I should really thank you.  MOAR FIGHTING = MOAR ENTERTAINMENT!!

Ahem.  Carry on.
    I just want to know how much people will lose their sh!t over a topic as banal as the quantity of burning charcoal.  No offense the the OP.  I should really thank you.  MOAR FIGHTING = MOAR ENTERTAINMENT!!

Ahem.  Carry on.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming