Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Consumption

Options

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I really hope some of you hold life or death positions and are using this forum as an outlet, because this is the dumbest argument I might have ever read through. 

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @mikee that explains it. You don't count the lump you burn during warm up or cool down just when food is on. 
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    @jeremiah, to your 9:18 post... I wish I could take the original post back. I really was looking for a simple answer of a use roughly a 20 pound per week, or whatever the case may be. I did not expect it to go like this.

@jeremiah, to your 9:21 post. BS, I google mapped your lot, it does not take 12 bags per cutting. :)
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeremiah I just grow weeds, have my FIL cut them and drive a Japanese sedan. Winner!
  • Lit
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I really hope some of you hold life or death positions and are using this forum as an outlet, because this is the dumbest argument I might have ever read through. 

Ever? I have to disagree...
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It ranks at least. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:
    Jeremiah said:

Ever? I have to disagree...
    He said "dumbest argument he has ever read through".

I'm guessing he gets bored on some of the dumber arguments and bails before reading to the end. :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    No..no..no.. :nuh_uh: this thread is building momentum. Not the time to change it to grass cuttings. It's almost popcorn time. 

@mikee, does your lump consumption claim include your pizza cooks? I seem to burn through some lump on pizza. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Lit said:
    @mikee that explains it. You don't count the lump you burn during warm up or cool down just when food is on. 

I think I already stated that I burn more on heat up than the cook!
  • Mikee
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    No..no..no.. :nuh_uh: this thread is building momentum. Not the time to change it to grass cuttings. It's almost popcorn time. 

@mikee, does your lump consumption claim include your pizza cooks? I seem to burn through some lump on pizza. 

Personally, I do not think my small egg is good at cooking pizza. The small egg has a very small fire grate and does not produce high heat with a platesetter.

@stemc33 The pizza's on the egg did not compare to those in the oven at 500*.  While I value my small egg, I would never suggest its a great or even a good pizza making oven. The large egg or XL large seems to be able to produce high heat. Any other questions you have @stemc33 in regards to how to make a pizza?

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mikee said:
    stemc33 said:

Personally, I do not think my small egg is good at cooking pizza. The small egg has a very small fire grate and does not produce high heat with a platesetter.

@stemc33 The pizza's on the egg did not compare to those in the oven at 500*.  While I value my small egg, I would never suggest its a great or even a good pizza making oven. The large egg or XL large seems to be able to produce high heat. Any other questions you have @stemc33 in regards to how to make a pizza?

Do you have a good dough recipe you could share?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mikee
    Options
    Lit said:

Do you think I fire up the egg with red hot coals and then weigh them while they are glowing? @Lit you are trying to prove you're point but are falling short.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Because of this thread I was curious just how much lump (by weight) would actually be used in a typical (for me) short cook.

Tonight I grilled a few burgers and a bunch of scallions.

Total time from lighting fire to closing vents - 35 minutes.
    Weight of lump used - 325 grams (11.5 ounces).

I'll weigh it on a low and slow cook sometime which would be at about half the temp of tonights quick cook but I'm SWAG-ing that it will use significantly less lump - easily well under a pound/hour.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mikee
    Options
    Its been already stated by @Lit that it takes 1 pound of lump to cook. Basically you'll burn close to 15 lbs/hr. You, just like me, must have a miracle egg.
  • stemc33
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Because of this thread I was curious just how much lump (by weight) would actually be used in a typical (for me) short cook.

I'll weigh it on a low and slow cook sometime which would be at about half the temp of tonights quick cook but I'm SWAG-ing that it will use significantly less lump - easily well under a pound/hour.

Cool stuff. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Lit
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Lit said:

Do you think I fire up the egg with red hot coals and then weigh them while they are glowing? @Lit you are trying to prove you're point but are falling short.
    You do realize you were the one that calculated your pounds per hour used based off your 4 minutes of cook time right? 
  • Mikee
    edited September 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    Mikee said:
    stemc33 said:

Do you have a good dough recipe you could share?

I've already posted it. Should I make the recipe my signature? Do some research on my previous posts and get off my dic!
  • Lit
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Its been already stated by @Lit that it takes 1 pound of lump to cook. Basically you'll burn close to 15 lbs/hr. You, just like me, must have a miracle egg.
    Yes that's what I said. 15lbs an hour. i just said you are full of crap you don't average under a pound per cook.
  • Mikee
    Options
    Lit said:
    Mikee said:
    Lit said:

You do realize you were the one that calculated your pounds per hour used based off your 4 minutes of cook time right? 
    Yup! I burned 2 pounds of lump in 4 minutes. My Green Egg was a Red Egg. I hit 10,800*.  You are certainly correct that no one can burn less than a pound of lump doing a short cook.
  • Lit
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Lit said:
    Mikee said:
    Lit said:

Yup! I burned 2 pounds of lump in 4 minutes. My Green Egg was a Red Egg. I hit 10,800*.  You are certainly correct that no one can burn less than a pound of lump doing a short cook.
    I know I am right. Look what others posted they average.
  • Mikee
    Options
    You are correct! I burn an average of 2 lbs of lump  when doing a 4 minute cook. 17 pounds of lump and it last for over 30 cooks. Those bags of lumps are just a tad over weight. They probably weigh in at closer to 60 lbs. I'm amazed how RO stuffs 60 lbs of lump into a 17lb bag.
  • stemc33
    Options
    Lit said:
    Mikee said:
    Lit said:
    Mikee said:
    Lit said:

I know I am right. Look what others posted they average.
    This so reminds me of the classic "I know you are, but what am I" 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XOGWbzUM-y8
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    @jeremiah, to your 9:18 post... I wish I could take the original post back. I really was looking for a simple answer of a use roughly a 20 pound per week, or whatever the case may be. I did not expect it to go like this.

@jeremiah, to your 9:21 post. BS, I google mapped your lot, it does not take 12 bags per cutting. :)
    @bob.bud, as to lump use it all depends on what temp you are cooking, for how long you are cooking and how many times.  When I first started i was cooking about 4 to 5 times a week and maybe going through a bag every 2 weeks.   If I do a long low & slow on my XL and I filled it up i can usually get 4 or 4 more cooks out of it.  @DoubleEgger's idea of tracking it on the bag is a good way.  I just try to keep an extra bag on hand when I get low.  That reminds me, I need to get a second bag for backup.   Short cooks burn less, but pizza cooks you burnt it up fast.  Did pizzas for2  his once at 500 or so.  That burned up almost the whole load, but still had some to cook a few more meals. 

Sometimes these post can get off point a little,  but that makes it a little interesting.  Hope you are enjoying your egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited September 2015
    Options
    According to my formula, I have enough charcoal to run my LGE 88 days straight at 250 degrees...  I may have a hoarding problem... 

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Lit
    Options
    Mikee said:
    You are correct! I burn an average of 2 lbs of lump  when doing a 4 minute cook. 17 pounds of lump and it last for over 30 cooks. Those bags of lumps are just a tad over weight. They probably weigh in at closer to 60 lbs. I'm amazed how RO stuffs 60 lbs of lump into a 17lb bag.
    Have you started smoking the rocks from your RO? Please anyone getting a new egg don't think you are going to average 30 cooks per 20lb bag of lump. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2015
    Options
    HeavyG said:

There you go.  Great insight @HeavyG.  Impossible according to @Lit, but resembles my experience as well even though I've never calculated it, just know how much lump I buy and how many cooks on average it takes to burn through it.   Which is fact, not assumption from someone who I've never met and doesn't have a clue of which they speak.

That very much explains and would confirm my initial posting in this thread re: my lump usage.  I would say your 35-minute time frame from lighting to closing vents resembles a good 80% of my cooks as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the other 20% being low and slow.  Although my average of those faster cooks is probably a little less than your 35 minute example.        

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Lit
    Options
    KennyLee said:
    HeavyG said:

There you go.  Great insight @HeavyG.  Impossible according to @Lit, but resembles my experience as well even though I've never calculated it, just know how much lump I buy and how many cooks on average it takes to burn through it.   Which is fact, not assumption from someone who I've never met and doesn't have a clue of which they speak.

That very much explains and would confirm my initial posting in this thread re: my lump usage.     

What do you mean there you go? He burnt 3/4 of a pound on the shortest cook you can possibly do. Once you throw chicken/pork etc into the mix that take 6 times longer than hamburgers you are going to put your average use way over a pound. Pretty sure his post proved my point.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2015
    Options

@Lit is it math skills or reading comprehension that you're lacking?  As stated earlier in the thread, what @HeavyG describes very closely resembles roughly 80% or so of my cooks at least, probably more.  Even said it in my very first response, which you would know if you actually took the time to read what people type instead of being in such a rush to call BS on something you know nothing about. 

His results just proved you wrong, at least as it relates to my experiences.  Hell, you already said there's no way you could burn less than a pound in a cook like this.....wrong.  Do some people burn more?  Sure.  But I stated my experience, which obviously I have far more knowledge of than you.

Good grief.....

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Lit
    Options
    KennyLee said:

1.  5-7 lbs.

2.  6-8 cooks

3.  Most hot and fast, i.e., chicken, hanger steak, burgers, steak and one low and slow, usually ribs or a butt.

4.  Has been Ozark Oak, Rockwood, then The Good One, but now Royal Oak due to lack of availability of the others.  And actually quite happy with RO at a lesser price.

5.  Normally beer of many flavors and varieties as I'm not really picky.  Like Mexican in the summer months and Shiner Bock in the cooler times.  I'll usually try the latest microbrew too, especially local brews.  Miller Lite is always a go-to for a standard premium beer, but sometimes pick up some Bud or regular Coors.  Also Tito's & tonic or gin & tonic, preferably Bombay Sapphire or Boodle's.

KennyLee said:

@Lit is it math skills or reading comprehension that you're lacking?  As stated earlier in the thread, what @HeavyG describes very closely resembles roughly 80% or so of my cooks at least, probably more.  Even said it in my very first response, which you would know if you actually took the time to read what people type instead of being in such a rush to call BS on something you know nothing about. 

His results just proved you wrong, at least as it relates to my experiences.  Do some people burn more?  Sure.  But I stated my experience, which obviously I have far more knowledge of than you.

Good grief.....

Look at your original post. 2 of the 5 things you listed are chicken and ribs. My lacking engineer math skills put that at 40% of your cooks are not hot and fast. Even steaks burn more lump than burgers. Also you are the one that put yourself in the middle of this saying I was stirring **** so how are you saying good grief? Enjoy your hamburgers and hot dogs 90% of the time.