Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket flat tomorrow.....

Options
I know you can't bear to answer another "First Brisket" question but I'm doing my first tomorrow on a large egg.  I got a small flat from Costco so that I can start it early in the morning and hopefully it will be done and rested by dinner time with any luck.  I'm still trying to hone on a source around here for packers.
so here it is:

Ok. so the only thing in the way of temp control I have to rely on is the dome thermometer and a thermapen but I'm still going to cook this brisket!
So after reading for months the best way to do this my head is spinning and I have no fn idea how I'm gonna get it done. Hahaha!
well here is my plan

1). slight trimming because there isn't really much to come off this already lean and small brisket flat 5.75lbs.
2).  Gonna use light coat of yellow mustard and Meat church Holy Cow Rub!!
3).  On the egg at a clean 275 dome around 7am tomorrow morning with oak wood chunks.  Gonna start checking it after 3 hrs or so.
4).  At 185 wrap it in butcher paper put back on the egg until about 200-203.
5). Unwrap Check for done and let rest.

is this a good plan or are there other variables I'm not considering being such a small flat?

Thanks
LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Make sure all meat is heat protected by your platesetter or whatever you use as a deflector.  Use an air gapped drip pan (empty).  Cut a notch across the grain before you prep it.  That way you know the slice direction once it transforms into a tasty meteorite.
    Put the thickest part toward the back of the BGE (hottest area) and I run fat cap down.  Regarding the wrap-if going with the paper those who use it base the time to wrap on the look/texture of the bark.  And the finish indicator is when the thickest part of your flat probes like buttah.  Can be from 190 into the low 200's. 
    You are good with the dome thermo and thermapen.
    If finished early you can FTC to the desired slice and eat time.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks for the response. I have been studying your responses on other posts!
    i am using a psWoo2 with the plate setter and 16" drip SS drip pan that's fits perfectly on the PS.  I was thinking of using water and a tin pan on the Ps but I guess it's not necessary.
    do you think I need to wrap at all?
    what would ballpark for a small cut like this be?
    im guessing 5.5-7.5 hrs.
    thanks
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    All set up for tomorrow so no playing around in the morning

With some nice clean oak chunks I just split up off the stack in the back yard

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No need to trim fat - the additional mass is your friend on a flat.  Sound plan.  Good luck!
    Looks like you are in the good to go category.  Patience is key.

Also, go on the desktop forum side and add your location in the Signature line so we can get more local appropriate information.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lousubcap
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Regarding cook times-the cow drives that equation but with 275*F or so on the dome (calibrated) you can plan on around an hour /lb.  
    Water in the pan-the BGE is a great moisture/humidity chamber.  If you run with water in the pan the water acts as a heat sink (the temperature at the water is no more than boiling for your elevation) until all the water has turned to steam.  Then your BGE temperature will rise to the natural vent settings without the water sink.  
    As with any BGE cook you can go in many different directions and get to the finish-line.  The key out of the gate is to remember the set-up for a cook and then change one thing on the next one and note the difference in results.  Not totally scientific as the adult beverage flow rate may be different and the cow has the largest voice.
    Regardless, enjoy the cook and don't over-think it.
    Edit: the wrap is really a personal preference based on the bark set-up.  Paper will preserve the bark finish better than foil and nekked for the duration produces a more defined bark.  Aaron Franklin has a great video on the whole paper, foil, nekked deal but I can't find the link.  Perhaps @SGH can recall it as I believe he surfaced it the first time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @A31unit, sounds like a good plan and there has been some great advice.   All I can add is make sure to let it rest before cutting.   It will help and don't cut it tell you are ready to eat. Good luck and have fun.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the wisdom. I'm gonna give it a go and the only thing I'm still not sure of is weather to wrap in paper at some point.  I like the idea of a crisper bark so I think foil is out.
    when I pull it do I let it cool for a time before FTC?  If it gets done early I wanna be able to hold it best way possible without the chance for it over cooking in the wrap
  • jakebge
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying my first brisket flat this weekend.  So, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    If finished early give it around 15-20mins sitting out to stop the cooking process.  Then FTC (there are many threads on that subject that will get you six-eight hours easy) until ready to slice on demand and enjoy.
  • A31unit
    Options
    I will keep everybody updated. Thanks
  • A31unit
    Options
    @lousubcap may be a stupid question but how do I cut a notch to identify my grain. I don't want to do it so it disappears once shrinkage sets in
  • shadowrider
    Options
    A31unit said:
    @lousubcap may be a stupid question but how do I cut a notch to identify my grain. I don't want to do it so it disappears once shrinkage sets in
    I cut mine on the small end.  Just a little trim piece off the corner to let me know where to start.
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    I take a picture of the lean side before seasoning and use that as a "roadmap" before cutting.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The end where the cross grain cut should be made will be the shortest side.  If you have any doubts, make a small test cut and look at the grain of the meat before proceeding.
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Okay.  The only thing I might add, and this is a personal preference thing, is that I might suggest that you not use all of the oak chunks you show pictured.  Maybe use five or six chunks maximum for starters.  I place a couple of chunks resting on the bottom layer of lump, centered, and work my way up with no more than three or four more chunks, including the one or two on the very top layer. You'll want to fill with lump pretty much all the way to the top of the fire ring (or just below). I place the final top chunk or two in there immediately after lighting.  Then let the smoke clear some before adding the brisket.  I only mention this because you say it is your first brisket. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• A31unit
    Options
    @mahenryak good advice. I used only about 4 of those oak chunks.  The photo is just what I split up. 
    Anyway, it's ON!

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    A31unit said:
    @mahenryak good advice. I used only about 4 of those oak chunks.  The photo is just what I split up. 
    Anyway, it's ON!

Cool, and it Looks like you are in for a real treat!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• CtTOPGUN
    Options
     Staying tuned in! Supermarket had nice looking flats last week for the Jewish holiday. Not something we see often here in CT. I bought a pretty good size one( 7+ pounds) that appeared to be the floppiest of the bunch. In the deep freeze now, but within the next few weeks will try this brisket thing. I think I have read enough and watched enough vids to have a fighting chance delivering a good meal.

Jim 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok. Here's my update. The stall was at about 168 for a couple hours. At 175 I am pleased with the bark so I wrapped in parchment paper and right back on but at this point I flipped it to fat side up.  I think I'm looking for about 203.  How often at this point should I be checking it for doneness (or from the 175-203).

• lousubcap
    Options
    Sounds like all on track.  Butcher paper or parchment paper-you initially
    mentioned butcher paper-don't know how all will go with parchment.
    And regarding what you are looking for, temp is only a guide:
    From a post above:
    "And the finish indicator is when the thickest part of your flat probes like buttah.  Can be from 190 into the low 200's."  Check around every 30 minutes or so starting in the mid high 180's and then base your interval on how the cook feels. 
  • A31unit
    Options
    Yeah. I didn't want to do the parchment but that's all I could scrounge up today. I researched it and found that it's pretty much the same (no wax).
    thanks
  • A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Quick adjustment. I took off the parchment paper. At the first it temp check it appeared as it was holding ALL moisture in and messin wit my bark!! So I'm gonna ride it to the end nekked!
    I t feels right. The parchment paper felt wrong.
    Here's where we are at. Still feels really dense at about 179ish

• lousubcap
    Options
    Good call going with the gut feel.
  • A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not sure what to make of it at this point but I'm at hour 7.5 with this 5.75 lb brisket and I'm still at 168-170 IT with my thermapen in the thick and it feels dense to probe in there....
    again I have been running at 275 dome all day??
    the bark is looking a bit dry now
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Do you really mean 175° dome, and not 275°?
    Judy in San Diego
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    I say don't worry about it until 190.  My last brisket (14 lb trimmed) stalled from 160 to 180. It hit 160 on hour 3 and passed 180 on hour 11.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Judy Mayberry I meant  At 275 dome all day
  • A31unit
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm at about 197 and not probing like buttah :-(
    When is enough is enough??
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You most likely will not get the "probes like buttah" feel across the whole thing (flats are a challenging cook at times) but you need to get that type feel for a great majority of the hunk of beef and then declare victory.  And remember, this is not a temperature driven event (temp is only a guide).  It is "done when it is done".  FWIW-