Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket

Options
I just received and installed my "kick ash basket" to replace the standard fire grate.  Fire lit much faster, seems like this should be a no brainer for any Egg owner, is there anything negative I should be aware of when using this?

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I haven't found one yet. I really like mine.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • coooltroy
    Options
    @minniemoh My guess is I will see better fuel use and balanced heat regardless of lump size, has that been your experience?  Seriously I think this should be a standard item considering how much small material impedes balanced heat as it restricts airflow with standard grate.
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    @coooltroy, I have only had my KAB since 8/28/15, but I have a few cooks under my belt with the KAB in place and I cannot find a thing to complain about. 

Don't be afraid to fill it up above the basket. I filled halfway up the fire ring burying the basket for an overnight cook and had no issues at all.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Love mine. Glad to see others do to. Chad is a good guy, and deserves the success.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    Yep mine works very well. It's not even the HD version and surviving pretty well. Hope up upgrade it soon though
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    It drastically changed my enjoyment of my small egg. It's my favorite egg now.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Good to hear. I've had one for my large the last 9 months but have wanted one for my small since KAB started. I'm pumped that they now have an option for the small. It just makes so much sense. I'm hoping that KAB will be at Midwest Eggfest again this year and have a chance to pick up a small KAB
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Only draw back is that it made me a "lazy egger".  I use to scope out all the charcoal, remove the fire ring & fire box, then sweep up all the ash, then stack my charcoal NEATLY the day before a long cook.

Now, I pull out the basket, shake it a few times, push my pinky down the 6 holes, scoop 90% of the ash right before I need to cook...

I've became a slacker...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've had one in my large for a fairly long time and did recently get a heavy duty one for my KJ Jr. 
    Love them both. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I have one for both my lg bge and my KJ Jr.  Very nice product as far as I am concerned.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Have both generations of the KAB .Really like the new heavier gauge steel .Still use the stock charcoal grate with KAB .Don't like possibility of hot coals falling down into unprotected bottom area of egg . Maybe overcautious but been using KAB for a long time and it never gave me trouble using the stock charcoal grate and KAB .Most of my cooks are lower temps and I believe I have more control with both in there .
  • minniemoh
    Options
    coooltroy said:
    @minniemoh My guess is I will see better fuel use and balanced heat regardless of lump size, has that been your experience?  Seriously I think this should be a standard item considering how much small material impedes balanced heat as it restricts airflow with standard grate.
    Honestly, my favorite part is that I don't have to fight with small pieces clogging the fire grate. I used to have trouble with the fire grate getting knocked out of position from the ash tool while trying to get the ash out of the way. It does seem to start faster and burn better to me. It just makes start-up more convenient and I still have plenty of lump capacity for low-n-slows, no problem.

eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options

WeberWho? said:
    Good to hear. I've had one for my large the last 9 months but have wanted one for my small since KAB started. I'm pumped that they now have an option for the small. It just makes so much sense. I'm hoping that KAB will be at Midwest Eggfest again this year and have a chance to pick up a small KAB
    I would suggest you get one for your SBGE @WeberWho? as it has improved start-up times for me and just makes the small work like the rest of the eggs with regard to air flow. I think you'll like it. I have tried the expanded steel grates, high-que's and this works better than the others in my opinion. It doesn't let as many embers drop into the ash collection area as the other upgrade grates either. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have one for my MM. Its performance has me ordering one for my XL.
    Sp much easier to clean, much better air flow, much better temp control, economical on the lump useage as well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    First time hearing about this. Dam it now I need two. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Not necessarily a negative...corrosion vs SS. But, haven't had any issue due to this. Product works great and is HD w/ no warping. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I use my KAB with the stock fire grate still in place.  If you remove the stock fire grate, you will expose the bottom of your egg to much high temps. I don't know it that it is really a problem or not.  But considering the people who designed the egg have always used a fire grate that provides some heat protection to the bottom of the egg, I choose to continue to do so. With the stock fire grate in place, more heat is redirected up towards the food you are cooking, making lump consumption more efficient (although I am not really sure it is a noticeable amount).  

I haven't had any air flow issue using the KAB in combination with the stock fire grate. So, until I do, I will continue to keep the stock fire grate in place.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• clifkincaid
    Options
    I have 1 in my MM and MBGE! Worth every penny IMO
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I know the KAB has been covered in depth, but I have a question now that we're on the topic. 

1. How is the fit when used with woo/stone combo on the MM? Any pics?

My main reason at looking at getting the KAB for the MM is ease of cleaning. My LBGE ash tool doesn't work well with the MM. Plus when the MM is close to the ground, scooping ash is a pain in the ash. I've not had a problem with airflow on my MM, unless I haven't emptied the ash after 4-5 cooks.  
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mistick2
    Options

Just got my KAB last week, used it a couple of times and so far its fantastic.  Love the 'no cleaning' out the ashes at the end of the cook. Like others have stated, no clogging at the bottom BGE fire grate either...love it.

• CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Do majority of people remove the fire grate with their KAB?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I love these revivals.  Coin toss will be your answer brother.  I have a kab in my XL with the fire grate.  Kab's in my L and MM without.  Don't ask me why.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    I’ve kept my grate on in my LBGE with the KAB, but curious if airflow would affect it differently? Thinking I’ll experiment around with it and see how it goes
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    I know the KAB has been covered in depth, but I have a question now that we're on the topic. 

1. How is the fit when used with woo/stone combo on the MM? Any pics?

My main reason at looking at getting the KAB for the MM is ease of cleaning. My LBGE ash tool doesn't work well with the MM. Plus when the MM is close to the ground, scooping ash is a pain in the ash. I've not had a problem with airflow on my MM, unless I haven't emptied the ash after 4-5 cooks.  
    I just replaced this raised direct/indirect rig for my MM KAB combination

with a PS Woo with two stones. Cooked pork chops with a drip pan underneath on the PS Woo and KAB setup last Thursday evening. Sorry but no pictures of that setup, yet. KAB does not present an interference issue with the MM but it sure does make it easier to clean out the ash. I remove the KAB, wear nitrile gloves, and scoop out the the ash and small pieces of charcoal by hand. Easy.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I really like mine!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va