Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My turn at nom nom

13»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Bacon bump!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I just picked up an 11 pound belly for 2.80 a pound. They sell it for 2.60 if the skin is still on. Ill start the cure tonight! 

I have the standard pink cure salt like i use for deer sausages, is that the right stuff?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• cazzy
    I just picked up an 11 pound belly for 2.80 a pound. They sell it for 2.60 if the skin is still on. Ill start the cure tonight! 

I have the standard pink cure salt like i use for deer sausages, is that the right stuff?
    Yeah, that should work fine!  Good luck!
  • milesvdustin
    How long should i cold smoke this with the amazen smoker in the egg? I have the pitmasters choice pellet blend. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I've only done this once but I smoked until it was 150.  Took several hours with my egg running at 180-190 as I recall.
  • cazzy
    How long should i cold smoke this with the amazen smoker in the egg? I have the pitmasters choice pellet blend. 
    Go about 4-6 hours, then hot smoke the rest of the way. 
  • milesvdustin
    Can i not hot smoke at all, or is that essential to proper bacon?

• milesvdustin
    And 4 teaspoons of cure for 10 pounds? The directions on the cure say 1/8 tsp per pound. 

• cazzy
    Just get it to 150 at some point.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    cazzy said:
    If it's properly cured, you don't have to bring it to 150. You can just cold smoke it, then slice and freeze. Or just keep it in the fridge for a while. Cured meats will last quite awhile in the fridge. Or even at room temp if properly hung to dry. However, if you aren't confident that it is cured properly, bringing it up to 150* is a good fail safe. You will be cooking it when you fry it to eat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy

And 4 teaspoons of cure for 10 pounds? The directions on the cure say 1/8 tsp per pound. 
    Not sure man...I followed the recipe and it was great.  This is what I used:

• cazzy
    DMW said:
    cazzy said:
    If it's properly cured, you don't have to bring it to 150. You can just cold smoke it, then slice and freeze. Or just keep it in the fridge for a while. Cured meats will last quite awhile in the fridge. Or even at room temp if properly hung to dry. However, if you aren't confident that it is cured properly, bringing it up to 150* is a good fail safe. You will be cooking it when you fry it to eat.
    Or that.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    cazzy said:
    DMW said:
    cazzy said:
    Or that.
    I'm channeling my inner @nolaegghead and @Darby_Crenshaw

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • milesvdustin
    Ill bring it to temp after i smoke it. I went ahead with the 4 tbsp, several other sites said that was the same ratio they used. I can always soak some salt out. Thanks guys!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    edited October 2015

@milesvdustin
    Those numbers sound confusing. 1/8 tsp per lb X 10 lb would be 1 and 1/4 tsp. Is that just the amount of pink salt? I'd double check because you definitely don't want to use 4 times the needed pink salt. I use the ruhlman recipe and his numbers work well. If you want it let me know, good luck! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited October 2015
    I want to make bacon.  Is there a making bacon on a BGE for dummies out there?

Also, are cures mixes organic or are there chemicals or other bad things in them?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    stompbox said:
    I want to make bacon.  Is there a making bacon on a BGE for dummies out there?

Also, are cures mixes organic or are there chemicals or other bad things in them?
    @stompbox can't get much more natural than curing to preserve food! as far as chemicals / bad things, well, sodium nitrate in big amounts is a "bad thing" but is safe when used properly.  Michael Ruhlman's web site and book are very informative.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/meat-curing-safety-issues/
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • milesvdustin
    edited October 2015
    My pink cure salt says 1/8 tsp per pound. The ruhlman recipe says 2 tsp per 5 pounds, PLUS the 2 ounces of kosher salt. I went with the ruhlman recommendation 

My salt is the 6.2% nitrate stuff. 

• milesvdustin
    Did a test fry, was too salty. Soaked out some of the salt for a few hours, now its time to smoke it. 

• milesvdustin
    My wife said it tasted like ham, will it get bacony after the smoking?

• Alright, so i asked a ton of questions and answered them myself (Meaning i should have just followed the directions and kept quiet.)

Soaking in cold water for 5 hours got the salt rectified. 

I did a cold smoke for 6 hours, then lit the egg and kept it at 225 for just under 3 hours, when my IT of the bacon hit 150ish. Then i freezered for 2 hours and sliced it. 

Smoking it definitely did the trick and it doesnt taste like ham. Its solid bacon. Excellent excellent flavor!!!!