Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dexter Scalloped Roast Slicer $24 ?

Options
mahenryak
mahenryak Posts: 1,324
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Okay.  I was reminded of this purchase by another thread this evening and noticed that it is now available for $24.16 on Amazon Prime.  I paid around $33 back in March and thought that was a very fair price. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NG98RI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'm hoping maybe some other purchasers can confirm it is the same knife. I think there were quite a few of us that took @Cazzy 's recommendation at the time,   I linked to it from 'My Orders' so I'm thinking it has to be.  Anyway, that is a very nice price for anyone that hasn't already purchased this knife--if indeed it is the right knife. 

Note: I would wait for some others to weigh in before ordering to make sure I don't have this wrong.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I clicked on your link and Amazon showed that I purchased this exact item, as instructed by Cazzy, for $24.16 on Sept 8th.

It's a no-brainer if you're looking for a knife for brisket, ham, etc.
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Order away!  The price fluctuates on amazon.  You are given two options...stick with the default config, which is scalloped.  That really carves through the bark, where as a non serrated knife can push it and ruin your bark.

I use this knife for a lot of different meats...even my bacon!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • mahenryak
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ^^Thank you very much for confirming @nolaegghead and @Cazzy.^

...and if you haven't ordered one of these, yet, it is indeed a great knife.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I bought the same one on @cazzy's recommendation. I've been very pleased with mine too. It definitely works better than the fancy one that I paid twice the price for. I think I got mine for around $24 too. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I ordered it as well for about that price.  I still have the cut on my thumb healing.  Even after all the warnings...

He thought, it doesn't feel that sharp, as he drug his thumb lightly across the scalloped blade.  As soon as his fingers traversed a peak his thumb opened like a ripe peach. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Got mine for free.  I won the rub exchange sweepstakes! :smiley: 

I did order one for a friend of mine as a gift and it was about what you're stating.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Well dang, I bought mine in March for $33. I missed out on the Kool Kids Klub Knife Kerfuffle.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I grabbed the knife when I saw it on sale the other day when I was shopping for a new beast. I like sales. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fljoemon
    Options
    @cazzy .. OMG .. that bacon looks amazing .. is there a thread of your bacon cook?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2015
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @cazzy .. OMG .. that bacon looks amazing .. is there a thread of your bacon cook?
    Thanks!!

Here ya go: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185615/my-turn-at-nom-nom/p1

I'll bump it for you!  ;-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @SGH   I have an injector on it's way - bayou classic - it's rated a little lower than yours, but saw your post too late.  

Also have the The Briner on it's way.  I'll be a turkey cooking machine by next weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PPRX9MO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:
    @SGH   I have an injector on it's way - bayou classic - it's rated a little lower than yours, but saw your post too late.  

Also have the The Briner on it's way.  I'll be a turkey cooking machine by next weekend.

My briner and briner jr was sitting on the porch this afternoon when i left for work. Cant wait to try them out. The Bayou Classic injector that you bought is great. I have been using one for years for small jobs. The only reason that i bought the Beast was it was on sale. Im a true sucker for crap on sale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Got mine!  :)

Dave - Austin, TX
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited October 2015
    Options
    for big slicing jobs, I use this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl309-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL309.html

I like my cabbage sliced really thin for making coleslaw and this really does the trick.  When we slice sirloin for stir-fry, we get really thin sliced meat that make wonderful beef broccoli or pepper steak.

It is not made of plastic!!!!! 
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    I picked one up, thanks for the heads up! 
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    I grabbed one also.  Sliced my tri tip like a pro Sunday!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have a few of the Dexter knives and love the blades for the money.
    The only thing I don't like is the handles get gummy/sticky after a few years.
    I keep keep them dry and clean but all 4 of mine have done this over the years.
    The soft grip is just breaking down I guess.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    ;) I just got my new Dexter also. Hopefully I can keep up with the big boys now!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• mahenryak
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It is great to know that at least a few folks have benefited from this post.  

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    It is great to know that at least a few folks have benefited from this post.  

Keeping up is doable when we're talking about a $24 knife.  

SRF $200 briskets and $10,000 Jambo smokers, not so much.

Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    there seems to be remedies for rubber handled tools out there, window cleaner, googone, wd40 etc.  surprised dexter doesnt have a solution on their site as ive seen this on other similar style handled knives
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Order away!  The price fluctuates on amazon.  You are given two options...stick with the default config, which is scalloped.  That really carves through the bark, where as a non serrated knife can push it and ruin your bark.

I use this knife for a lot of different meats...even my bacon!

+1. I own both the scalloped and nonscalloped. The scalloped knife gets more use. Both are useful depending on what you're slicing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    fishlessman said:by
    Photo Egg said:
    there seems to be remedies for rubber handled tools out there, window cleaner, googone, wd40 etc.  surprised dexter doesnt have a solution on their site as ive seen this on other similar style handled knives
    Thank you...
    Will give those tips a try.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HarveyLytle
    Options
    I have both the Dexter Basic and the Sani Safe Dexter and the Sani Safe handles really well as compared to the Basic. I try to buy Sani Safe.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Just ordered mine!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• mahenryak
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just ordered mine!
    Nice!  I'm glad you were still able to get in on this price.  I think @Cazzy 's royalties must be going wild by now (I say this partially in jest, of course, but also as as a nod to the original impetus for a lot of these orders.  :wink: )

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    It arrived last night, just a couple days before my first run at bacon is complete!!!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    I grabbed the knife when I saw it on sale the other day when I was shopping for a new beast. I like sales. 

Amazing, my kids just gave me that Beast and same meat tenderizer for my birthday, haven't had a chance to use them yet.  I still have a 35+ yr. old Chicago smooth slicer, guess I'll have to add that Dexter to my wishlist for Christmas.  

This could be construed as a futile attempt to keeping up with the SGH's  How do you like that tenderizer?
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA