Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Look what I found, pre-made 00 pizza dough

Options
Found this at Harris Teeter, can't wait to try it out. Is it ok to freeze pizza dough for later use?

LBGE in Northern VA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cool!  Yes, dough freezes well.
    Options
    yep freeze it!  i buy 6-8 at a time and freeze them
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If that's $2.29 a pound, I'd strongly consider buying some Tipo 00 flour and making it yourself.
    Yeah, it's a bit pricey. I just wanted to try it out to see if i even like 00 pizza dough

LBGE in Northern VA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Cool find, I haven't seen that before.  Does anyone have a well-priced source for 00 flour?  I've ordered the Antimo Caputo from Amazon but it runs 3-4$/lb shipped. 

I've gotten great results from the forno bravo dough recipe, which is really easy to make.  but I'm not enough of a pizza pro to always use 00 instead of cheaper king arther AP.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I have used AP and Bread flour from King Arthur and Antimoto Caputo OO. All of them give a very good crust. The main difference, for us, is the OO flour has a sturdier texture and crispier crust and it can take a higher temp. I get the OO from Amazon (4) 2.2 lb. bags. I vacuum seal and freeze the flour. I can get 5 to 6 14 inch thin pizzas crusts from one 2.2 lb. bag. I just started a batch in the bread machine about an hour ago.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • jimithing
    Options
    Pizza dough freezes well so I'd say go for it.  One of the stores by me actually makes their own in house and then freezes it before selling it.

blind99 said:

Cool find, I haven't seen that before.  Does anyone have a well-priced source for 00 flour?  I've ordered the Antimo Caputo from Amazon but it runs 3-4$/lb shipped. 

I've gotten great results from the forno bravo dough recipe, which is really easy to make.  but I'm not enough of a pizza pro to always use 00 instead of cheaper king arther AP.

If you have any higher end grocery stores locally I'd check there.  Even better would be an Italian market type of store.  I found mine at Central Market here in Dallas which is a grocery store. 

XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    blind99 said:

It's about $1.80 pound shipped from amazon if you buy 20 plus pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Pizzeria-Flour-Repack/dp/B0067DCK52/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1442335639&sr=8-13&keywords=00+flour

You hydrate to about 65% so 2 pounds of flour make 3.3 pounds of dough - about a $1.40-ish a pound without doing any math.

Shipping is the killer.  If you can find it in bulk locally it should cost around a dollar a pound.

Options
    ^^^^  I bought 20 lbs for my brother and 20 lbs for myself. shipping to Canada was not bad considering I cant find it regularly here. I bought the pizzeria flour. We have a couple Italian specialty stores here and the red bag worked out to be pricier than the shipped Pizzaria flour.

I tried the Forno Bravo recipe and liked it, so I took the flour I got and measured out the recipe and put it into FS bags and sealed them and put them in the freezer. When I want pizza, I take the flour mix out of the freezer and let it come to room temp and just add the water. I find 60-61% hydration works best for us. Fresh dough all the time.
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    You can buy Caputo 00 flour at Artisan Ingredients on 2nd. ave. in Saskatoon. They also have San Marzano Tomatoes and a really good pizza finishing oil as well. It is in the same Building as Earls at the north end.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.