Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making wings for the first time

Options

I'm looking to make wings for the first time on my new BGE.  We have a place down here called 'Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza' that makes wings that we love.  I wish I knew their recipe.  Anyway... I'm looking for some popular wings recipes that give a nice chargrilled taste with crispy (not gummy) exterior, but not fried.  I just want to season them and grill them.  Also, it would help for me to know details like direct vs indirect, cast iron, etc.  Thanks in advance!

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Numerous ways, but last time I just salted them first and let them sit in the fridge to dry out.  Raised direct at 375-400 with basic seasoning.  At the end dropped them to the main grid to crisp up, opening the Egg up some to get some more heat.  Had some warmed sauce ready in a bowl.  Tossed the finished wings in sauce and plated.  The way I figure it, you can have as many flavors of sauces you want, but the key is to toss the hot wings right of the Egg into the sauce and then plate them.  Don't wait around or they get soggy.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    350 raised direct. lemon pepper, seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder for the seasoning. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Add a little corn starch to your seasoning, it will help crisp them up.
  • tailg8ers
    Options
    We usually brush lightly w/ olive oil and add a dry rub - have done sauce - either way works & always tasty!  Depending on your timing of when you want them done - you can do direct or indirect(longer) - crispier if you do direct but must turn them often.  If you want to go slow - get Egg temp to about 275 - put them on and close the lid for at least 30 minutes - after that start turning every 15-20 minutes and after a total of an hour has passed - bump the temp to 325 - should be done within an 1 hour 15-20 minutes total cook time - never dry out this way.
    If you don't have time to wait - cook direct on raised rack - but turn often 
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options

Ok, Let's assume I don't have the ability to do 'raised' direct since I don't have that accessory at this time.  Any simple way just throwing them on the grill at the 'standard' height?

XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • tailg8ers
    Options

Ok, Let's assume I don't have the ability to do 'raised' direct since I don't have that accessory at this time.  Any simple way just throwing them on the grill at the 'standard' height?

If you have something like a 'cooling rack' usually used w/ cookie sheet - you could put them on that to add a little height - or it's been posted on the forums of make-shift raised grids using nuts and bolts w/another grid to get a raised - simple and inexpensive way. 
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    How about I rephrase the question... Let's say that all I want to know is what temperature do I want the grill to be at and for how long do I put the wings on the grill for?  I guess I can figure out how to season them countless ways... My main concern is having a simple recipe where I can throw them on the grill, flip them a couple of times, and take them off the grill.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    As you can see there are about as many ways to cook wings as posters.  What follows is a great indirect method:
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/06/30-20-10-smoked-hot-wings.html
    I am currently in the raised direct camp running around 350-380*F on the dome flipping about every 10-15 mins for a total of about 45-50 minutes of cook time.
    And a quick raised grid-drink three aluminum canned beers (don't recycle :) ) and a second grate.  Weber has many sizes that work- put the original grate on the fire ring, then the three empty cans and your second grate on top.   You are off and running. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mgillia
    Options

Grill them indirect at 375 for 30 minutes, flip, 20 minutes, toss in sauce, 10 more minutes.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• EggPerfection
    Options
    How about I rephrase the question... Let's say that all I want to know is what temperature do I want the grill to be at and for how long do I put the wings on the grill for?  I guess I can figure out how to season them countless ways... My main concern is having a simple recipe where I can throw them on the grill, flip them a couple of times, and take them off the grill.
    Brother, I've got you. Go 450-500 Indirect, 15-20 mins each side.  No flares or hotspots and the wings fry in their own fat.  Season before and toss in favorite sauce after. Crispy and smokeyish (just lump) and then your sauce. Perfect.
    Best - Jack
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Brother, I've got you. Go 450-500 Indirect, 15-20 mins each side.  No flares or hotspots and the wings fry in their own fat.  Season before and toss in favorite sauce after. Crispy and smokeyish (just lump) and then your sauce. Perfect.
    That's what I'm talking about! Thanks
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Follow up...  Does anybody cover their plate setter with tinfoil or is that not even necessary ?   I just don't have a drip pan large enough to cover the whole plate setter and I'm sure the wings will take up the whole area of the grid.  
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Follow up...  Does anybody cover their plate setter with tinfoil or is that not even necessary ?   I just don't have a drip pan large enough to cover the whole plate setter and I'm sure the wings will take up the whole area of the grid.  
    Yes. I foil the PS but don't worry about spillage. It will turn white again with a high temp cook or clean burn. 

Agree with 375 direct rasied OR 250 indirect low and slow for fall of the bone. 

One minute at a time, of course. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• EggPerfection
    Options
    Foil it for sure.  I never did and my setter is effective but a filthy mess.  If you drip around your foil, just burn it off on a similar cook.  Your Egg will be super hot so watch for fire balling.
    Best - Jack
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    What about if I don't have them 'raised'?  I don't have an AR yet nor the time right now or anything else to make my own (yes I know how easy they are to make). My ONLY option right now is either direct or indirect (with plate setter) on grill at standard height. 
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    What about if I don't have them 'raised'?  I don't have an AR yet nor the time right now or anything else to make my own (yes I know how easy they are to make). My ONLY option right now is either direct or indirect (with plate setter) on grill at standard height. 
    I definitely meant standard (plate setter) indirect cooking.  It's going to work well for you.
    Best - Jack
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    There's no reason you can't do them direct at the normal grate height. Get your temps anywhere from 350-400. Flip occasionally. Its not rocket science and there really isnt a wrong way to do it, just check the temp to determine when they are done. I generally take wings higher, somewhere in the 180 range. No idea how long it will take direct as I don't cook them that way anymore. I'm sure I have at some point.

If you have time, let them air dry in the fridge for a few hours to help them crisp. Add a light dusting of cornstarch also helps crisp them up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    400 indirect for an hour works like a dream for me.  Tender, juicy meat and crispy skin every time.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Alright folks!  Thanks for all the recommendations.  I think I've got this!  Will post pics when complete :)
  • CTegger427
    Options
    I always do my wings direct around 500 degrees, and also, you can do some caramelized onions on a cast iron skillet to put over the top just like Anthony's does :)