Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT *** Nest Thermostat

Options
I've seen a discussion on here before regarding the Nest but can't find it now (this search feature is the worst).  Anybody here have experience with this product?  At $200 for gen2 and $250 for gen3, I'm guessing it will take a while to recoup that money.  Worth it?
Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just remember that there's a good chance you'll have to paint the wall as the sizes of old typical stats and the Nest are very different. 

I hate painting so the Nest isn't an option for me. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Haven't heard of a nest thermostat, but try using your web browser to find it. Type in big green egg + nest thermostat. Using your web browser often gets more hits than the forums search function. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Thought about the nest, but we ended up with Honeywell 9000's.  They don't have the learning features of the nest, but they are very easy to program and they are accessible via the web (or an app).  I've been happy with them.
    NOLA
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Have the nest and love it. Not sure about it as a money saving device, but it is nice to be 2 hours away from home and be able to turn the AC up and have the house cool upon arrival. As far as painting after removal of your old thermostat, it comes with several optional cover plates. I also use the nest protect smoke/c02 detector and a dropcam ( which was bought by Google and integrated into the Nest line). Between the devices I find it convenient to be able to check the status of my house from anywhere I might be. I only dislike that it is a Google ecosystem but it suits my needs. Wait a bit and see what comes out once Apple fleshes out there Homekit line of connected devices.
  • swordsmn
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Thought about the nest, but we ended up with Honeywell 9000's.  They don't have the learning features of the nest, but they are very easy to program and they are accessible via the web (or an app).  I've been happy with them.

I too have a Honeywell wifi thermostat. It is dependent on their web server , just as the flame boss 200 is on their company's.  The server does go down on occasion but it self resets and the pgmming runs.  It's just the remote monitor/changing  that occasionally gets affected
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • chrisc133
    Options
    I have two of the nest thermostats--I was able to use the rebates from Georgia power and get $100 back for each one. 

I like The nest but I really wish it had a hold temp feature. Seems like a basic feature that's simply missing. For the price I paid--I like them. For $250 I wouldn't buy them. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    Options
    I have an extra v1 Nest if you want a low cost trial - would sell for cheap...
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Love our Nest, does a great job of learning and constantly tweaking the temperature 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I installed two Honeywell WiFi thermostats about a year or two ago because they were cheaper than the nest.  One was the one with the color screen,  the second has a monochrome screen.  I mainly wanted to be able to control temps on my phone or through a Web browser,  so it suits my needs.  

A friend had 2 nests and had to change both of them out after a few months because they were not adjusting temps appropriately in his house.  

You will need a common (C) wire to supply power to these units. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a few nests....all gen1 and pretty much since their initial release.  No issues at all including a free service call to hook up my common wire for one of my units.  Easy to use and program and the money usage reports are very nice.  Learning feature is a novelty as I found very little value in it other than helping me set my schedule.  I have learning off now now.  On the other hand, the autoaway feature is invaluable.  Really awesome how it learned our work schedule and goes into autoaway in about 15mins from us leaving vs the initial 2 hour quiet period.  The other thing I really like are the updates.  Nest has been releasing enhancements at least twice a year and I have new features that I found useful and I think help save me money.  Last, Nest knows the difference between my heat pumps and my gas pack and adjusts operations according to run each unit efficiently.  For example, my Nest doesn't let my heat pump upstairs have the wide temp swings when away because it would have to work too hard to get to temp and waste all my savings.   This is not the case with my gas pack downstairs which can have much larger temp swings and save us money.  Very nice.  I'm not speaking badly about any other devices but only pointing out my positive experiences with Nest.   Highly recommend it. 

Oh yea, the Nest comes with an optional installation plate that you can paint or not to cover up your wall and hide anything that might show from your old unit.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • anish3232
    Options
    Love my nest, I have had 2 of them for 3 years (Gen 1) no issues.  If you can get the Gen 2 for $15-175, I would stick to that.  Otherwise go Gen 3.
    Lexington, KY
    Large Green Egg July 2015 - Custom Granite & Stucco Table
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    UKMatt said:
    I have an extra v1 Nest if you want a low cost trial - would sell for cheap...

I'm interested!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Parkersquared
    Options
    i went with the honeywell lyric.  no complaints after a year. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I've had my V2 nest for a few years now, and I love it!  I can use the auto away feature to check and see if anyone is home.  Nothing beats being in bed on a warm summer night, feeling too warm, and turning down the thermostat while still in bed!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I need to buy some kind of smart home/browser thermostat. I really don't need a learning one like a nest. Our schedule is to crazy for one. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I need to buy some kind of smart home/browser thermostat. I really don't need a learning one like a nest. Our schedule is to crazy for one. 
    Maybe your thermostat can figure it out?
    NOLA
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Infinite Energy in GA has a Nest offer where you get one "free" by signing a 2 year fixed rate natural gas contract. The fixed rate is reasonable but you pay a higher cust service fee, in the end you get the gen3 Nest for 25% off. Not sure if they are a gas service provider in TN and/or if they offer the same plan.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • cliffturner04
    Options
    I just did the infinite energy deal, I got the Gen 3 Nest and locked in a rate of .47/therm for 2 years... lately I've seen the prices increase to .48-.50, so I think thats a good deal.  Easy to install, came with a cover plate so that you don't have to paint!  Its cut TONS of money off my power bill, and its great to adjust the temp on the way home or in the middle of the night when you're hot/cold and don't want to get out of bed!
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Other than remote capability, I guess I don't understand how these are better than a programmable unit for much less money. Maybe if your installing a whole whole connection (garage doors, door locks, camera's, etc.) I'd by another egg first.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you guys down south crack me up. my basement is set for 42 and the house is set for 48 and there is no ac =) you either build a fire when its cold or freeze
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @fishlessman it's hard to sleep in a puddle...
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman it's hard to sleep in a puddle...
    was up at a friends camp once, laid out the sleeping bag out on the porch day bed, woke up around 2 and the ice on the day bed had broken through, you dont want to wake up in a puddle ;)
    fukahwee maine

• MelSharples
    Options
    @fishlessman if the Winchester 1873 won the West, the advent of central a/c won the South. I have no idea how my ancestors got any sleep from May through September between the heat and the humidity, not to mention the gnats.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @fishlessman if the Winchester 1873 won the West, the advent of central a/c won the South. I have no idea how my ancestors got any sleep from May through September between the heat and the humidity, not to mention the gnats.
    dont know how you can deal with heat. 2 heat waves this year, a heat wave is 3 days over 90 =) somehow that happened twice
    fukahwee maine

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    The nest saved us at least the equivalent of its cost during the first winter. I love it. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • GuitarEC
    Options
    We have Infinite Energy, and they are doing a program where you sign up for their flat rate for 24 months, and they give you a Nest Thermostat (Gen3).  Turns out that our plan we had with them was more expensive than the one they require for the Nest, so we got a reduced rate and a free thermostat (although we had to buy out our current contract with them for about $67).

So, we basically got a Nest for $67, along with a reduced rate.  If the thermostat ends up saving us energy, then it's a big fat win all the way around.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.