Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Handler I purchased does not appear to fit my nest (Large BGE - 2011)

Options
I have a Large BGE with a nest that I purchased in June 2011. I recently ordered and received the handler (also changing out the bottom half of the egg under warranty; crack went all the way through). 

In examining the instructions of the handler, looking at my nest and the ones in the store, I noticed that there are two bolts where the nest attaches to the handler. The problem is that I only have one pre-drilled hole in my nest. The newer nests have two holes, plus the large screw above the two holes near the top of the nest which mine also has. I did re-measure. My casters are 4" (not 3") and that was the only ordering prerequisite in determining which handler version to purchase.

So here I am on Sunday - do I just drill the extra holes near the top, using the handler parts as my template? Or do I have some other problem coming that I can't see yet? 

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have an XL in a nest with a handler.  I have no advice except the handler is awesome.  If you have to "make it work", then do so.  You won't regret it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are.  I received my handler a week ago, same issue.  I plan on taking it back to my dealer today.  I'm not in a hurry for it, so waiting is no problem, it took 5 weeks to get it in the first place.... 
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Drill a hole. The new nests have the holes. No big deal. 
  • Boileregger
    Options
    I had the same thing.  Got the handler right before a cross country move so the movers could handle the Egg safely.  Didn't have time to drill the holes so I just attached it with the two.  Survived the move just fine and has held up well for four months.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I had a similar problem.  Large BGE is about 15 years old and I bought a new nest a couple of years ago. Now the nest and the hinge assembly were not compatible. I ordered a new hinge assembly and all worked fine.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • drwho
    Options
    Larry
    What is the new hinge assembly?  The actual hinge for the egg?
    Thanks
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    yes, the bolt pattern is different on the newer hinge. The nice thing is with the new hinge and bands you also get the larger style handle.  Seems big green egg determines which style handler you need by the size of the nest wheels.  That doesn't work if you buy a new nest for an older egg or place a newer egg into an older nest.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • drwho
    drwho Posts: 6
    Options
    FYI. I drilled the holes. Worked out very well!! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    drwho said:
    FYI. I drilled the holes. Worked out very well!! 
    Thanks for the update!  Glad you got it sorted out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I had a similar problem.  Large BGE is about 15 years old and I bought a new nest a couple of years ago. Now the nest and the hinge assembly were not compatible. I ordered a new hinge assembly and all worked fine.

The new nest was not compatible with the hinge assembly?  I must be missing something?  Do the new nests run high enough to interfere with the hinge?
    Apollo Beach, FL