Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't waste your money on one of these.

Options
DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
After less than five uses

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Awesome. Looks like you tried to feed it through a paper shredder.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Mine looks the same.  It was a waste.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Awesome. Looks like you tried to feed it through a paper shredder.

I didn't put any pressure on it either!
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Been there...done that
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mine as well
    Parker, Colorado
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I trashed mine also after just a few uses. Now I use a pumice stick from Lowes or Wally World for a few $$.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I was smart enough not to buy one.
     Instead I bought a bag of two dozen Scotch Brite  stainless steel scrubbers, that I thought would work. Well I was wrong :(  
    One use and they rip to shreds.
    They are good however for cleaning my black cast iron skillets and pots.  
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Use a ball of aluminum foil. Works great. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I bought several different kinds as a test. This one failed worse than the normal brushes.  I normally use a-foil or the slotted wooden cleaner I made. 
  • YYZegger
    Options
    Thanks, I almost just bought one!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I'm a rebel I still use wire brushes. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FWIW. The Woody and Woody Paddle works great for me. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I found an old garden tool for digging up weeds, it works great, and it can't leave any wire bristles for accidental consumption
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I was just going to ask if anybody could remember what this was called. I'm using my ash tool and foil currently. I just saved their website so I can order in the future.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Thanks for posting this. I was just going to ask if anybody could remember what this was called. I'm using my ash tool and foil currently. I just saved their website so I can order in the future.
    I made one of those pretty easily with a miter saw and a Dremel tool. Takes just a couple minutes if you have the tools 
  • stemc33
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    I made one of those pretty easily with a miter saw and a Dremel tool. Takes just a couple minutes if you have the tools 
    Not to be a smart @$$, but why did you buy the scrubber if you have a paddle thing? Does it not work as advertised?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DoubleEgger
    edited September 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    stemc33 said:
    Not to be a smart @$$, but why did you buy the scrubber if you have a paddle thing? Does it not work as advertised?
    I bought several different things to see what works, what doesn't, etc. The paddle works okay, the scrubber above was a joke and the weed puller (metal v thingy) takes forever. The clear winner thus far has been the welder's brush that Mr Ron suggested. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ball of aluminum foil... If anything at all. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    heavy duty pot scrubber, left outside year round, works like a charm, no fancy handle though...

canuckland
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You will do yourself a big favor if you immediately brush your hot grid down before the crud welds itself to to it from the still hot Egg.  

A quick oil wipe will help protect it for the next cook.

Once the big stuff is erased from the grid, the pre-cleaning for the next cook is easy.    I've been cleaning grids all day from leftover gunk on them from the Coop Party a week ago.  All of my Eggs were put to use, some multiple times, so they got pretty messy.  

Cleaning them took a while, even after letting them soak in the deep sink for hours.  But they now look good once again.  

And I'm still using my same grid brushes and stainless steel SOS type pads after two years.  They still have lots of cleaning left in them.

Spring "Wiped Clean" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What are all these things FOR? I just light some lump. LOL

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stemc33
    Options
    @Spring Chicken, I cannot understand why someone would clean grids all day. That makes about as much sense as cleaning every particle of ash from the egg. 

I frustrate myself if I put my grid on the egg too early and my grease burns off before the food is put on. Especially when cooking boneless skinless chicken breast. I hate it when they stick to the grid. 

I realize your an experienced and accomplished EggHead, but I really don't understand this logic. 

I will occasionally sweep or vacuum the egg to check for cracks, but will always replace a small layer of ash when I'm done. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming