Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Consumption

A question for the veterans, or anyone that wants to weigh in, I have five questions:

1. How much lump do you consume in a typical two week span?
2. How many cooks do you get in during that span?
3. What does that cook list look like?
4. While the answer is likely Rockwood, what is your lump of choice?
5. Okay, one more, what is your beverage of choice while working your magic?
Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

1.  5-6lbs

2.  7-12 times on average for a 2 week period.

4.  Royal Oak

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Mikee said:

1.  5-6lbs

4.  Royal Oak

Sorry have to call BS here. You can't average less than a pound of lump per cook. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2015

1.  5-7 lbs.

2.  6-8 cooks

3.  Most hot and fast, i.e., chicken, hanger steak, burgers, steak and one low and slow, usually ribs or a butt.

4.  Has been Ozark Oak, Rockwood, then The Good One, but now Royal Oak due to lack of availability of the others.  And actually quite happy with RO at a lesser price.

5.  Normally beer of many flavors and varieties as I'm not really picky.  Like Mexican in the summer months and Shiner Bock in the cooler times.  I'll usually try the latest microbrew too, especially local brews.  Miller Lite is always a go-to for a standard premium beer, but sometimes pick up some Bud or regular Coors.  Also Tito's & tonic or gin & tonic, preferably Bombay Sapphire or Boodle's.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    1. Just checked my past FireCraft orders. Looks like it's greater than 400lb. in last 12 months. Breaks down to approximately 7.69lb. per week. Lump consumption has been greatly reduced after adding MiniMax to my arsenal. 

2. Approximately 5 cooks per week. 

3. 1-2 long cooks (1hr or more) and the rest are short cooks. Various meals. 

4. A.  Ozark Oak (not available :minus_one: )
        B. Rockwood. 

5. Sweet Tea 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    edited September 2015
    After seeing comments from @Lit, maybe my story is not correct. However, I do know I've used more than 400lbs. of lump since August 9th 2014...but my answers to questions 1,4,and 5 should be accurate. 

Keep in mind, a fish story always gets better and better or bigger and bigger every time it's told. :smiley: 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have an XL and I used 10 pounds of lump to prep for an 18 hour cook. I had some left over from a previous cook, ( about 3 pounds) and added it to the pile.
    at 225F, I used maybe 1/4 of the lump. I also used 4 fist sized chunks for smoking. So I am guessing 3-4 pounds on long cooks. The XL does not have a KAB. Fast cooks, I use almost nothing on the XL. I will get several cooks (7-8) out of 13 lbs, I use the XL 2-3 times per week.
    The MM, has a KAB. I hardly ever add lump to it. Maybe a couple pieces a week, 3-4 fast cooks / week.
    These Guesstimates is when I am home. I may go weeks W/O a cook when traveling for work.
    My lump of choice is indeed Rockwood, I also use Carbon Del Sur, which I like very well.
    My drink of choice is a red blend from the southern Rhone. Hermitage, or Chateneuf Du Pape, certain years....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    I seem to go thru about 2lb per cook.   This is for an XL.  
    An 18lb bag goes for about 8 to 10 cooks.

BUT……Larger pieces from the bag tend to last longer.   The small stuff I've been getting these days from Royal seem to go away pretty quickly.   This UPS usage substantially.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Lit said:
    Mikee said:

1.  5-6lbs

4.  Royal Oak

Sorry have to call BS here. You can't average less than a pound of lump per cook. 
    Wouldn't it really matter as to the specifics of  each cook? If I consider a cook to be the 20 minutes it takes to grill  couple burgers or steaks and then shut it down would one actually use more than a pound?

May have to actually weight my KAB before and after some time.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    SmyrnaGA said:
    A long time ago, I charted my grilling data into a spreadsheet.  Ave temp, duration, food cooked, and amt of charcoal used.  After 5 months, I reverse engineered a formula that fitted the coal consumption.  Since it was between May and Oct in Atlanta, I would guess the ambient temperature to be between 80-100.  All cooks were done on the Large BGE.  Charcoal used were BGE, Cowboy, Frontier, and Royal Oak.  Each cook begins after VOCs are burned off.  After each cook, the egg was cleaned and refilled by volume to the same level and the weight recorded.

The formula:

Pounds of charcoal consumed = 1 + (Duration of Cook  x Dome Temp)/500

Duration of Cook in hours
    Dom Temp in Fahrenheit

Example:
      -  2 hour cook @ 400 = 1+ (2*400)/500 = 2.6 lbs
      -  16 hour cook @ 250 = 1 + (16*250)/500 = 9 lbs

The numbers are not EXACT, but, it was close enough for me.
    These numbers sound more correct. Someone above stated they did an 18 hour cook on 3 pounds of lump. Sorry that isn't right. I used to pour a 9lb bag of RO into my large for an overnight and burn 3/4 of it. I would believe you could fire up the large and cook some burgers and get it out for a pound or so but not much less than that.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    A large will hold about 10 pounds of lump.  You can go from 3 to 30 hours on that depending on your temperature and what you're cooking. 
    edited September 2015
    I don't weigh but i mixed RO and wicked and stuffed the MBGE and did a 10lb brisket. 13hrs 5min. After i pulled off i stirred up the lump and I had half of the load left. Did a burn off of 750 for about a hour. Still had a little left in the bottom of my KAB!
  • I go thru a whole 20 lb bag every two weeks.  I cook everyday outside on my egg.

Chickens, steak, two racks of ribs, butts, veggies.  I even cooler a tv dinner on my egg.  I like the Mexican ones.

Orange wood.

Crown on the rocks.

• bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    @sparky1, thanks for the straight answer of a 20lb bag every two weeks. I'll chalk that up to the Crown.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • stemc33
    SmyrnaGA said:
    A long time ago, I charted my grilling data into a spreadsheet.  Ave temp, duration, food cooked, and amt of charcoal used.  After 5 months, I reverse engineered a formula that fitted the coal consumption.  Since it was between May and Oct in Atlanta, I would guess the ambient temperature to be between 80-100.  All cooks were done on the Large BGE.  Charcoal used were BGE, Cowboy, Frontier, and Royal Oak.  Each cook begins after VOCs are burned off.  After each cook, the egg was cleaned and refilled by volume to the same level and the weight recorded.

The formula:

Pounds of charcoal consumed = 1 + (Duration of Cook  x Dome Temp)/500

Duration of Cook in hours
    Dom Temp in Fahrenheit

Example:
      -  2 hour cook @ 400 = 1+ (2*400)/500 = 2.6 lbs
      -  16 hour cook @ 250 = 1 + (16*250)/500 = 9 lbs

The numbers are not EXACT, but, it was close enough for me.
    That's some serious egging. :glasses: 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    I burn through about two bags (34 lbs) of Maple Leaf charcoal in a two week period with my three eggs seeing frequent action.  Low n slow obviously will use less, while 400+ will burn it up much quicker.  My cooks are a mix of everything, there are some weekends were I don't let my large cool down.  I enjoy a frosty beer, preferably Canadian & European styles!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• YukonRon
    Spreadsheets, on cooks. Thank all that is holy, there are others that are like me. I am OCD, my beautiful wife is ADD and brilliant, with a degree in mathematics. She can't begin to comprehend why this is so very important.
    I did a spreadsheet on blending our own coffee. Got it dialed in to the tenth of a gram. She loves our coffee, but she thinks I am nuckin' futs.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stemc33
    YukonRon said:
    Spreadsheets, on cooks. Thank all that is holy, there are others that are like me. I am OCD, my beautiful wife is ADD and brilliant, with a degree in mathematics. She can't begin to comprehend why this is so very important.
    I did a spreadsheet on blending our own coffee. Got it dialed in to the tenth of a gram. She loves our coffee, but she thinks I am nuckin' futs.

Dialing in a tenth of gram could be useful when you move to Colorado. :smiley: 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    That made me laugh so hard! I had a coffee through the nose experience. I swear weed is not the reason I am moving there. Honest. I really mean it.
     B) 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stemc33
    YukonRon said:
    That made me laugh so hard! I had a coffee through the nose experience. I swear weed is not the reason I am moving there. Honest. I really mean it.
     B) 
    Reading this has me LMAO :rofl: I'm sure you'll hear plenty more jokes about moving to Colorado. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    stemc33 said:
    YukonRon said:
     B) 
    Reading this has me LMAO :rofl: I'm sure you'll hear plenty more jokes about moving to Colorado. 
    My boss said I was moving there so I could dry out from the bourbon in Kentucky. I have been getting my chops busted on a regular basis over this, it has been fun.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bob.bud
    @YukonRon, I am sure they all know you are an avid smoker... and you have probably heard the cracks about what you'll be smoking. Some of that good Colorado beef I am sure.
  • Mikee
    Lit said:
    Mikee said:

1.  5-6lbs

4.  Royal Oak

I call BS on your reply. A bag of RO  last me 6-8 weeks. I have not cooked inside in the past 6 months. The only time I burn a 1/2 load of lump is on a long cook. Short cooks such as steaks only need a burn of 3 minutes once the steak is on the grill.  Most of the lump burn is used to get the EGG up to temp. Fire up the lump, cook, then shut it down. That takes way less than a pound.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Mikee said:
    Lit said:
    Mikee said:

1.  5-6lbs

4.  Royal Oak

I call BS on your reply. A bag of RO  last me 6-8 weeks. I have not cooked inside in the past 6 months. The only time I burn a 1/2 load of lump is on a long cook. Short cooks such as steaks only need a burn of 3 minutes once the steak is on the grill.  Most of the lump burn is used to get the EGG up to temp. Fire up the lump, cook, then shut it down. That takes way less than a pound.
    When are you going to post some of your cooks?  Like they say on here, if there army photos it didn't happen.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mikee
    I don't photo my cooks. I just eat them. What's wrong with that?
  • My numbers are in line with yours @Mikee as stated in my post earlier in the thread.  That's over three years using the Egg.  So I know your numbers are/can be accurate.  Some just like to stir up **** for some reason.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I learned last night if I fall sleep in a chair (while seasoning CI) - all the lump is eventually consumed.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    edited September 2015
    I use 100 lbs every 2 weeks on average.

cook 10 to 12 nights

Ozark oak WAS my choice but now rockwood

10 cook either coffee or diet wild cherry Pepsi and if a 11th or 12th cook Heineken
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bob.bud
    @badinfluence, 100 lbs over 12 cooks? The math works out to 8.33 lbs per cook.

Not going to throw out a BS flag as others have in this thread, you burn what you burn, but that sure is a lot of lump per cook.
  • stemc33
    bob.bud said:
    @badinfluence, 100 lbs over 12 cooks? The math works out to 8.33 lbs per cook.

Not going to throw out a BS flag as others have in this thread, you burn what you burn, but that sure is a lot of lump per cook.
    Have you seen this guys eggs? I think he's a straight shooter. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming