Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole turkey?

Options
Any body ever do a whole turkey? I want to do one for thanksgiving but was going to practice once or twice. Any advice or instructions from anyone? Pictures?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you want a memorable presentation, you can't go wrong with this:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'm done doing whole turkeys. I spend way too much effort every year just to throw all the dark meat away. I'm getting some big ass breasts this year and doing as sir @hapster does...show this man your breasts hap!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Jeremiah  - What the freak is wrong with you?
    Throwing away the dark meat. I just lost all respect for you.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Smokehouse33
    Options
    I love big ass breasts!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @TigerTony it's all good. If you knew me in person, that ship would have sailed long ago anyways. Lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I use Mickey's method...spatchcock it and go raised direct at 400.  Point the legs toward the hinge so the thighs are in the hot spot.  Excellent results every time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
      Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    We usually do a 20-24 lb bird for the family, but I was feeling good and offered to do one on the Egg while one was cooked in the oven. Injected and rubbed the turkey (after spatchcocking it) and everyone said it was the best they ever had. 12lb is the biggest I think is realistically done. Go for it!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    There are numerous ways and methods to turn out a great bird. Several methods have already been mentioned above. Here is how I do a whole bird. Brine for 24 hours and then inject with butter. Just plain ole butter works wonders. As far as cooking temps, it kind of depends on what I'm shooting for. Sometimes I start them at 500 degrees for 30 minutes and then drop to 350 degrees for the remainder of the cook, and other times I run them from 275-325 degrees from take off to touch down. If I want gravy I will pan them, if do not I run them right on the grate. Again, it just depends on my end goal. Each method produces a slightly different end result, but each is great just the same. If I'm going for a "smoked" bird I go with the 275 temp right on the grate.  As long as you don't over cook it, it's pretty hard to mess up a turkey. Good luck with which ever method that you choose.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @SGH tell me about your brine, I've only done a simple salt brine.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    @Mickey those birds look incredible.  On the coffee rub, do you actually feel the caffeine impact when you eat it?
  • mimauler
    Options
    Brine that bird for a day and inject. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    EggDan said:
    @Mickey those birds look incredible.  On the coffee rub, do you actually feel the caffeine impact when you eat it?
    No
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I usually brine and egg one and fry another.  The egg turkey usually wins and my family loves fried turkey.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @SGH tell me about your brine, I've only done a simple salt brine.  
    Brother, due to the follow up butter injection, I use a very, very, basic brine. 
    Basic Brine:
    1 gallon of water.
    1 cup of kosher salt.
    1 cup of lite brown sugar.
    3 Bay leaves.
    A handful of whole peppercorns. 

For the butter injection, I use Land O Lakes butter, not margarine. I have cooked numerous turkeys numerous different ways. I have tried voodoo, mojo and Aaron Franklins personal secret, Unicorn tears. With that said, the basic brine followed by the butter injection works miricals, even out performing the Unicorn tears. In all seriousness, this method works great for every cooking method: Grilling, smoking, rotisserie and deep frying turkey. I always use the basic brine and the butter injection on whole turkeys and whole turkey breasts no matter which way I'm going to cook them. It works and works well my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    22 lbs on a large  :-|

• 1charliebob
    Options
    Two rules for smoking a turkey:
    #1 Brine
    #2 see rule #1
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    I highly recommend doing spatchcock turkey  (you may need tin snips to remove the spine). This one was done indirect at 350. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I've gone the Mad Max route twice, once a whole turkey, once a huge breast.. Works great.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Thanks @SGH, for the info....always appreciate the support and feedback. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I've done MadMax recipe on 5 - 6 different turkeys but have switched over to the coffee recipe above. It's awesome 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Any body ever do a whole turkey? I want to do one for thanksgiving but was going to practice once or twice. Any advice or instructions from anyone? Pictures?
    Here is a 22 1/2 pounder I did a few months ago on my large.  

1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    +1 for the Mad Max turkey.  I did it last year for Thanksgiving and it came out great. 
    Options
    I've done a few smoked turkeys in my day and they're good for sure.  But it's hard to beat a deep fried turkey IMO.  I'll probably fry mine this year.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    jimithing said:
    I've done a few smoked turkeys in my day and they're good for sure.  But it's hard to beat a deep fried turkey IMO.  I'll probably fry mine this year.
    I used to agree with you. But have you tried The Big Easy Oil-less turkey fryer.
    It's great! Love mine, I will never fry a turkey ever again.
    Check it out.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-turkey-fryer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google+shopping&utm_campaign=google+merchant&gclid=CjwKEAjwpuSvBRDSkaes4OasuEESJACfwIc_3NSbsF0212VPjN75u-M656EOp1a1JtGwQWWDM7WWxRoCM-vw_wcB
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans