Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Full Packer on the Egg (plenty of pictures and commentary)

Options
bob.bud
bob.bud Posts: 297
Prior to May of this year I had been a Weber Kettle and Traeger Pellet user that trolled this site contemplating the switch. While I have many egg cooks under my belt, I had not tackled a full packer on the egg until the cook I started at 940 last night.

See this post to see the starting weight prior to trimming.

Salt and peppered:

on the egg around 2140 fat side down:

a peak at 0622 when the probe was reading 195 (however a few not buttah like poke tests said it was not done):

and here it is right before I pulled it off the egg with the probe reading 200:

another angle:

More info:

I did not cut and shape the brisket , and at just under 16 pounds prior to trimming, the length of this thing barely fit in the large, I actually had to scrunch up the flat and hoped that the natural shrinkage would take care of the fit situation.

Rockwood lump filled halfway up the fire-ring. I will comment on what is left later.

iGrill mini used for remote temp (see the Excel file in the attachments if you want to see how the temperature behaved. Dome temp was steady around 235. However, I did see a spike up to 275 ish, and a low of 210. Yes, I peaked through the night.

All manual temp control

Stall started around midnight and lasted for about 4 hours. (see Excel file for more accurate info)

Cool breezy night; however, I believe my observation of the low of 210 was due to the dead air outside when I went to check.

Brisket was foiled, toweled, but I put it in the oven (off) thinking we were going to eat at lunch. Ended up not cutting into it until shortly after 1800. The brisket was still a good temp to enjoy.

The results.

Opening up the foil:

Prepped to cut (yes the fat side is down, and that is the flat on top as I go to cut and work towards the point where I do the Texas Turn):

First cuts:

A small plate:

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    Son of a Bit--.  Home-run right there.  Great documentation and even better cook.  I'm sure all who got to sample that goodness truly enjoyed your most eggcellent work.  Congrats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bob.bud
    Options
    @lousubcap, thank you. Is that a fast boat I see in your profile pic? Which boat and are you still serving?
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks like your off to a great start! Got did you like it compared to your other cookers

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good eyes-and let me answer by saying I have been retired (or retard as we say in KY) for 17 years.  Did 27+ years before I was told you aren't going to sea anymore-sailor who can't go to sea...I'm outta here.  All SSN's (the pic is USS Louisville) until my last ride when the only way I could go back to sea was on a SSBN (Trident) so I did.  More than you ever needed or cared to know-but back on topic.  Hell of a great cook!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bob.bud
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic, I am enjoying the egg and my cooks more than I ever did on the Weber or Traeger, but that is not to say that I did not have any good cooks on either of them.

@lousubcap. Served 10.5 years myself. Actually trained many a nuke when I was the lead for the chem radcon group at NPTU CHASN. I too was told, "you are no longer sea-worthy," due to a blown ACL.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Fantastic cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Georgiaspaniel
    Options
    Looks great!  I always go 275 to an internal temp of 203.  Enjoy!!
  • bob.bud
    Options
    I mentioned previously that I would comment on the post cook lump situation. As stated above, I started with lump half way up the fire ring (it was not level all the way across, but roughly the equivalent of half way up).

Here is what I found left in the KAB when I pulled out the oval stone off the AR:

and here is the KAB post shake:

Went back to Costco today to get some shrimp, and found more Brisket. They had vacuumed pack choice flats, but no full-packers like the one I cooked.

Below is a pic of of the choice flats @ $5.19/pound. They also had flats in your typical white meat tray and saran for over $8.00/pound. I spoke to the butcher and he said they did not have any more full packers, and I quipped, you guys sure are asking us to pay for the labor of cutting off the points and to trim up the fat.