Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

back to basics

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I didn't get to go to Atlanta and I look forward to seeing the pics and hearing the stories. So far, it sounds like it was a bad idea on my part to not go.[p]Anyway, to console myself I decided to do a pulled pork last night. (I don't like the sound of that last sentence, but whatelse can I say.) I have not done one for awhile. Something about cholestrol, high blood pressure, weight gain, etc. [p]I put on a six pound bone-in fresh shoulder (the non-butt end) with chunks of hickory at the lowest temp I could manage during the sixth inning of the world series (go Yanks!). I was using Martha Stewart lump (maple sugar wood) and it ran a little hot. I could only get the temps down to 250 dome temp. [p]When I woke up this morning, the dome temp had gone down to 210 (hooray) and the internal temp was 168. By noon, the internal temp hit 200 and I took it off.[p]I had forgotten how good a pork shoulder can be on the egg. Deep smoked flavor, great texture. The fat cap had become crunchy pork rinds. The meat literally fell off the bone when I brought the meat in the house. [p]It's now cooling in the cooler and we'll do sammies for dinner at 6 or so. [p]I'm imagining the eggfest was like this only tenfold. [p]Well, I'll see everybody next year at Walforf. In the meantime, in between time, I got my pulled pork to see me through.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    char buddy,[p]Sue and I both missed your presence at Eggtoberfest as we figured you would make it, if at all possible. We look forward to seeing you again in Waldorf. Please consider cooking at the fest.[p]A nice low and slow cook is great medicine :-). Imagine 39 people cooking on many Eggs next to yours. Now that is the cure.[p]Spin

• char buddy
    Options
    Spin,[p]I think I'll take the cure this spring. I'll look for ya in Waldorf. [p]I just wish I could figure out what a newbie ought to cook at their first fest. Any ideas?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    char buddy,[p]I suggest you consider cooking something that you are comfortable preparing as this will ease any worries about possible problems with the cook itself. You will need to either bring the necessary ingredients with you or purchase them when you get to Waldorf. You will also need to bring any utensils necessary for the prep. The logistics of doing the cook can be harder than the cook itself.[p]Everyone works together to make sure all of the necessities are taken care of (we are a cooking family). If you need anything at the fest that you can't provide, just give a shout prior to it and someone will make sure it is available.[p]The last consideration is that you be able to enjoy all sides of the fest. Cooking and sharing the result is one side. The others are sampling the results of the other cooks and sharing the joy of cooking with the rest of the family. Plan a cook that allows you time to include these as the day does seem to go fast. Bringing along your significant other to help with obtaining morsels that are done while you are cooking is most beneficial.[p]Spin