Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elk tenderloin

Options
any suggestions for smoking elk tenderloin?

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I just want to see the pics. I wrap venison in bacon and season with salt and pepper and red eye express and cook it like a pork loin. 

@Biggreenpharmacist cooks venison hot and fast like steak. 

I would think that venison is very similar to elk. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • dboram
    Options
    Do you have the whole tenderloin or did the processor cut into steaks?  Mine are steaks...and I cook them just like beef.  Sear first and then finish them (to 145).  Don't over cook them.
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I concur - "tender"-loin should be cooked like a steak.  
    Options
    It cooks faster than you think so be careful
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• leemschu
    Options
    I cooked a deer tender loin 2 days ago direct @ 350 for about 1 hour with a little hickory. Lower would have been better outside dried just a tad but it was really good.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    elk is very mild to me, would be steaked and some flavor added like a bernaise sauce, wine and mushroom sauce, or would be googling board sauces
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Johnnysmoker
    Options
    Story is, I don't have elk tenderloin . My neighbor is gearing up for hunting season, I offered to him that he could use my BGE if he wants to. I wanted to have s few ideas to assist him. What's a similar cut of meat I could do a practice run with? Venison?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    edited September 2015
    Options
    to me its mild, alot more mild than venison, maybe more like sweetened grass fed australian beef. it does have its own flavor but not nearly as strong as venison. except for venison backstrap i dont much care for it. would go out of my way for elk if i had a good supply though. in order of mild to gameness it would go buffalo, beef, elk, grassfed beef, deer, moose (i dont even like the smell of an uncooked moose steak let alone eat a cooked one =) 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it