Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep your hands off my Tocino

Options
2»

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2015
    Options

Edit:  Belatedly, thought better of vandalizing HondaBBQ's thread.
    My apology, HB.
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Here is the recipe I was given. I'm sure zmokin will find fault with this too. 
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1tbsp salty
    2 cloves minced garlic
    Marinate for 2 days turning occasionally to re coat the butt 
    I also injected the marinade into it. 
    Smoke as normal. 
    I used the left over marinade to season it after pulling. I just boiled it and mixed it in to spread out more flavour. 

For or a true Tocino slice pork thinly and marinate for the same time. Fast fry to crisp up. 
    other than the soy was there any other liquid added or was it more like a paste marinade
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    My wife's family makes a pork on skewer dish that came to them from a Filipino co-worker. Seems quite similar but includes 7up and gin. I wonder if this is a variant of this. It's a mainstay at the cottage on the BBQ but it is not pink, more brown and crispy. We use butt which comes off almost like bacon in some ways. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Here is the recipe I was given. I'm sure zmokin will find fault with this too. 
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1tbsp salty
    2 cloves minced garlic
    Marinate for 2 days turning occasionally to re coat the butt 
    I also injected the marinade into it. 
    Smoke as normal. 
    I used the left over marinade to season it after pulling. I just boiled it and mixed it in to spread out more flavour. 

For or a true Tocino slice pork thinly and marinate for the same time. Fast fry to crisp up. 
    other than the soy was there any other liquid added or was it more like a paste marinade
    I was 1 tbsp short for multiplying it by 8. 
    I also only put 2/3 of the salt asked for. 

It it was a thin paste like marinade but after a day on the butts it had become a liquid in the bottom of the bus tub I was marinating in. I then strained out the garlic and injected the butt with it. 
  • hondabbq
    Options

gmac said:
    My wife's family makes a pork on skewer dish that came to them from a Filipino co-worker. Seems quite similar but includes 7up and gin. I wonder if this is a variant of this. It's a mainstay at the cottage on the BBQ but it is not pink, more brown and crispy. We use butt which comes off almost like bacon in some ways
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    The butt is sliced thin and then marinated and skewered. Sorry, not getting into the debate. Especially since I'm headed to Winnipeg at the end of the month and don't want to get hit :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Zmokin said:
    Legume said:
    Did they ever make you a happy customer?

Some people may find the title "purist" to be a compliment, but to me it means someone that is closed minded to altering things.  I own a particular sportscar and there are purists that view the car as perfect as delivered from the showroom floor and leave everything perfectly stock.  I'm not one of those.  I like to modify things I buy, making them "my own", and ideally, improving their performance.
    Isn't this comment a little hypocritical seeing as you throttled me over not preparing traditional Tocino. 
    I'm sorry but I don't follow your logic.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• hondabbq
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    hondabbq said:
    Zmokin said:
    Legume said:
    Did they ever make you a happy customer?

Some people may find the title "purist" to be a compliment, but to me it means someone that is closed minded to altering things.  I own a particular sportscar and there are purists that view the car as perfect as delivered from the showroom floor and leave everything perfectly stock.  I'm not one of those.  I like to modify things I buy, making them "my own", and ideally, improving their performance.
    Isn't this comment a little hypocritical seeing as you throttled me over not preparing traditional Tocino. 
    I'm sorry but I don't follow your logic.    

Of course not. 
    Please don't reply to this thread anymore. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    ^^^^^^ I didn't have the energy to put pen to paper so to speak. Thank you. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Well. I'm a bit of a purist that way. Or not. I can't remember which is the good one to be. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Well. I'm a bit of a purist that way. Or not. I can't remember which is the good one to be. 

Really good to have you back. Damn that was a fun read.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigWader
    Options

Well played!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I have nothing to add here, but this thread is awesome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BigWader
    Options
    I do have one question.... is it pronounced "ToCHino" or "ToKino"?  I mean I want to get it right when I tell my friends about this thread.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• hondabbq
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I may have mispelled it. It's "tair-ee-ah-kee"
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]