Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best Chicago Steakhouse and Deep Dish Pizza

Options
Will be in Chicago on business next weekend (19/20/21) and need recommendations for the best steakhouse and deep dish pizza. Going to Bears game Sunday and Cubs game Monday. Will have a car so a short drive is fine.

Thanks!
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Giordano's and Lou Malnati's are my favorite places for pizza.  My favorite place for steak is Chicago Cut.  Best place to grab a beer is Howl's and Hood in the WGN building.  Best place to grab wings is Jake Melnick's.  They have great bloody mary's and beer selection.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    My favorite Chicago style deep dish is Lou Malnati's.  I love the huge sausage patty. I have not been to many Chicago Steakhouses but I have enjoyed Morton's (original location) on State street.

Enjoy your trip to Chicago!
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options

Hugo's Frog Bar was awesome for seafood and steak. I believe the steaks come from Gibsons steak house next door which would be another good bet. Also I have never been, but there is a weber grill restaurant there. I followed the smell of burning charcoal for a block but never made it inside as I had reservations at another place that night.

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    We prefer Gino's East slab-o-sausage pie. 
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Lou Malnati's is good.  If you want to leave downtown and check out some neighborhoods (and are heading north for the Cubs game anyway), there is a Lou Malnati's in Lincoln Park (on Wrightwood at the intersection of Lincoln and Sheffield) and a new one in Lincoln Square, which is a nice neighborhood with a bunch of local bars and shops.  
    No disrespect to @saluki2007  but I think there are better places to drink than Howl & Hood.  Hopleaf has a phenomenal beer list, and Fountainhead has great beer and whisky.  Again, both are on the north side (as am I, hence my bias).  Let me know if you need other suggestions for your trip.  

Options
    avibug said:
    Lou Malnati's is good.  If you want to leave downtown and check out some neighborhoods (and are heading north for the Cubs game anyway), there is a Lou Malnati's in Lincoln Park (on Wrightwood at the intersection of Lincoln and Sheffield) and a new one in Lincoln Square, which is a nice neighborhood with a bunch of local bars and shops.  
    No disrespect to @saluki2007  but I think there are better places to drink than Howl & Hood.  Hopleaf has a phenomenal beer list, and Fountainhead has great beer and whisky.  Again, both are on the north side (as am I, hence my bias).  Let me know if you need other suggestions for your trip.  

I'm sure there are, but H&H out door bar and beer list are hard to beat. When we go we spend most of our time downtown.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    I'd give Lou Malnati's a slight edge over Gino's East - although you can't go wrong with either.

I've heard mixed reviews from friends I trust on the Weber Grill restaurant - nothing bad, just not wonderful - and Chicago has some wonderful options.

I had a great meal at the Chicago Chop House last time I was in Chicago, but when I later reflected on it (when the bill came in) I questioned the absurd amount of money I spent on the meal.  Paying $50 for a bottle of wine I can get for about $10 at my local grocery was what really got my attention.  At the time I ordered it for our group I just knew it was a wine I recognized as being pretty good - and it was one of the more affordable offerings and since I was ordering and paying for a group of coworkers it was a good choice.  When I saw the same wine a week later in my local grocery I started questioning the wisdom of my restaurant selection as we could have had a similarly good time without spending so much money.  But it was a great meal and a great time so do with this info as you see fit depending on your finances.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Been almost 12 years or so but the wife I loved http://geneandgeorgetti.com

great steaks!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I used to love Gino's East, not sure how it is these days.
    I've had good steaks at most of the steakhouses. Morton's has a very consistent product.  The dining rooms are pretty dated but very classic - a guy rolls around a cart to show you the goods. I've had excellent steak at Del Frisco's, which has a really nice more updated dining room.

David Burke Primehouse was rated best a few years ago.  He does steaks aged a ridiculously long time, which is fun to try.

Skip Weber Grill if you're on a business trip.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Gino's East was on Man v Food last year maybe....looked good. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Steaks - Bavettes is my top choice. Burke's primehouse has some nice dry aged stuff but they are cut too thin for my taste and the crust isn't any better than you can do at home. Chicago Cut, Mastros, Del Frisco's, Chop House, and Gibson's are all in the same ball park, but I was blown away by the ribeye at Bavettes.

Pizza - Can't go wrong with Lou Malnati's. Gino's east is a sold pick too. Between those 2, you'll get a good pie. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I used to love Gino's East, not sure how it is these days.
    I've had good steaks at most of the steakhouses. Morton's has a very consistent product.  The dining rooms are pretty dated but very classic - a guy rolls around a cart to show you the goods. I've had excellent steak at Del Frisco's, which has a really nice more updated dining room.

David Burke Primehouse was rated best a few years ago.  He does steaks aged a ridiculously long time, which is fun to try.

Skip Weber Grill if you're on a business trip.
    I went to david Burke last time there- tried the 100 day dry aged. Was underwhelmed, it barely had the nutty flavor I've come to expect from steaks aged less than half the time. Not the best but Gibson's is a classic Chicago steakhouse. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • stevesails
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Been almost 12 years or so but the wife I loved http://geneandgeorgetti.com

great steaks!
    I agree. Great but not cheap.  Nothing is in chicago.  I would skip webers.   And you dont need a car. Psrking is outrageous.  Park it and walk everywhere. 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited September 2015
    Options
    For over 10 years I had to travel monthly to our home office down in the loop. I always stayed at the Palmer House and always enjoyed the best steaks ever! I can't think of the name of the restaurant there on the street level, but it had an old world charm to it. I just Googled the PH and it appears the restaurant has been updated, but surely their steaks are still top-notch. Can any of you Chicago eggers chime in here and at least say the steaks are still great there? I keep thinking I ought to go back some time for old times sake...even if these steaks would be on my nickel!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Chicago chop house is crazy expensive and as mentioned the wine is crazy. We took 30 people there for work and it was almost 10K. Yes, thousand.  Over 300 per person. Morton's is sort of cool for that old days prime rib experience. I can't help pizza but I would take some other places over Chicago chop house. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Lou Malnati's is the best pizza
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I lived within 100 feet of the Lou's at Wrightwood/Lincoln for my 10 year ride in Chicago.

Although deep dish isn't my favorite style, when I wanted it, it was from Lou's.

And as mentioned, go out to the neighborhoods. that's what makes Chicago.

Not the downtown touristy spots.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Was just at Weber grill a few weeks ago. It is worth a visit, but wouldn't put it up there with a Mortons or other fine steakhouses. I had a BBQ Chicken qtr and smoked sausage combo. It was good....my point is don't go there and expect a great steak......but good none the less. My vote is lou Malnati's for the deep dish, and I can validate it was spot on as of a couple of weeks ago as well.

One other thought if you get out in the burbs, find yourself a portello's and have the Italian beef and pork sausage combo with peppers. You will find much joy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
     So many great steakhouses it's difficult to go wrong. I will say the fillet is exceptional at Chicago cut as is the service. Top notch. That's coming from a ribeye guy no less. 
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Another vote for Lou Malnati's. Enjoy your trip. 
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I hear pequod's is really good pizza. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I grew up an hour from the loop, can't go wrong with Ginos or Lou's. Same with steak houses, Gibsons is my favorite but Chicago Chop house and Ditka's, are great as well. I love Gibsons for the steaks and ambiance. Hugo's Frog bar is less stuffy but the steaks come from the Gibsons kitchen.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • saluki2007
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you are looking for a burger I would recommend Kuma's Too.  It's only about a 10 min drive from Wrigley.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    forgot about ditkas. That place is awesome, love the bloddy mike mix, and the "paddle steak". Maybe you should spend a few more days and gain a few more pounds the options are endless. I don't think ive ever had a bad meal downtown Chicago ever. Also as mentioned above don't drive to these places parking is insane. Grab a cab from the hotel or walk, cabs are pretty much under $10 anywhere downtown. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I had a great steak at Weber's 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Also, UBER is your friend.  Get the app and your first ride is free.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@wolfpack I have to agree, I've tried steaks aged different lengths at primehouse, and at some point there seems to be diminishing return.  I can't remember the exact dates they had but by 55 days I didn't think the steak got better.

Pequod's was good.  I used to love Bricks in Lincoln Park.  Piece in Bucktown is a fun spot, decent pizza, decent beer, great location.  Portillo's I still go to more than I should. So much good food in Chicago!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    We hit Goose Island, then Al's after a game.  Within walking distance in Wrigleyville.  

Prefer it, over Gino's, Lou's, Uno's, tomato soup in a bread bowl.  

Have fun!

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."