Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep your hands off my Tocino

One of my staff was talking about how his wife makes Tocino from the Philippines where he is from. I asked about what it was and then asked "where's mine". A few days pass before I see him again and he brings me in a little ziplock bag with 4 slices of brownish, pinky pork loin. "Just fry it up chef" he says. 
So for dinner that night my wife and I tried Tocino for the first time. We liked it. I said to her this would be good smoked like a pork butt. She says "do it". 
So here we are doing it. It's supposed to be "cured" for days but that is for slices. So I just did it for a day knowing it wouldn't get to the Center. After all I was just going for the flavour and to add some smoke to it. Just lit the egg. It will be going on shortly. I'm a little time restricted today. My plans changed for tomorrow, and I was going to let it marinate for another day but today worked out better. 

Pics c's to follow if the finished product. 

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    This was a nice change to standard pulled pork. SWMBO loved it. Even my mom did too. It's a keeper 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I'm sorry, but that doesn't look like any Tocino I've ever had.  All the Tocino I've had is pink and sweet through & through and is cooked fast.  That looks like pulled pork with a sweet red glaze on the outside.  This is what I'm used to having for Tocino

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• hondabbq
    Zmokin said:
    I'm sorry, but that doesn't look like any Tocino I've ever had.  All the Tocino I've had is pink and sweet through & through and is cooked fast.  That looks like pulled pork with a sweet red glaze on the outside.  This is what I'm used to having for Tocino

If u you would take the time to read my post, before being so condescending you would see why I did it like that. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2015

Shame on you for angering the tocino police :smiley:

What are the flavors like? I'm keen on trying variations of the standard pulled pork .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hondabbq
    edited September 2015
    Here is the recipe I was given. I'm sure zmokin will find fault with this too. 
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1tbsp salty
    2 cloves minced garlic
    Marinate for 2 days turning occasionally to re coat the butt 
    I also injected the marinade into it. 
    Smoke as normal. 
    I used the left over marinade to season it after pulling. I just boiled it and mixed it in to spread out more flavour. 

For or a true Tocino slice pork thinly and marinate for the same time. Fast fry to crisp up. 
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2015
    He didn't mean it like that.  We all know text doesn't convey tonal inflection as well as we'd like.

Whatever - it all looks delicious.
     :) 
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Despite the lack of authenticity,  ;) I'd be all over that!
  • hondabbq
    Well the first 2 sentences are condescending no matter the tone. 
  • Zmokin
    hondabbq said:If u you would take the time to read my post, before being so condescending you would see why I did it like that. 
    I guess I just don't like the way some people feel they can call anything whatever they want to call it, when it isn't even close.  I read the topic title, I was looking forward to seeing some Tocino.  Boy was I let down.  I guess you can rest assured, "I will keep my hands off your Tocino".

• Sardonicus
    Be patient, YolkMan.  Either it'll get there or it won't.
     =) 
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• hondabbq
    edited September 2015
    Holy Christ dude. Relax. 
     I gave a back story of how I learned about it and provided the disclaimer that it was not going to be traditional Tocino but made like a pork butt. Rest assured you would never be invited over for that or anything. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Zmokin said:

I was looking forward to seeing some Tocino.  Boy was I let down.

Life is disappointment @Zmokin. You'll live to love Tocino again someday if you can just open your heart.  
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2015
    Okay, okay.  Maybe he DID mean it like that.
     :s 

• Well, he is a purist....
  • hondabbq
    There are tons of food posts on here that are not traditional. 
  • Zmokin
    hondabbq said:
    Here is the recipe I was given. I'm sure zmokin will find fault with this too. 
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1tbsp salty
    2 cloves minced garlic
    Marinate for 2 days turning occasionally to re coat the butt 
    I also injected the marinade into it. 
    Smoke as normal. 
    I used the left over marinade to season it after pulling. I just boiled it and mixed it in to spread out more flavour. 

For or a true Tocino slice pork thinly and marinate for the same time. Fast fry to crisp up. 
    Your pulled pork with a sweet soy glaze is fine if you like it, got no problems with your marinade, as long as you don't try claiming that huge roast o'pork is anything like Tocino.  Anyone on here that is really interested in trying real Tocino can either google it to see about making it themselves, or visit a Filipino restaurant and order it, or find a Filipino grocery store that carries it and buy it and cook it up themselves.

BTW, I'm curious about your handle.  Mind telling me why "hondabbq"?

• Zmokin
    Well, he is a purist....
    Very not funny, as you know my position on being called a purist, so care to throw any more insults at me.

HondaBBQ may have thought my comments condescending when my point was for those who don't know what Tocino really is, that that wasn't it.  I read his post and he really never stated he wasn't making Tocino, just that it may not be cured all the way through, well it wasn't cured but maybe an 1/8 inch on many inches of roast.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Pray tell what your position on being called a purist is... 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I am wondering what I missed concerning the purist comment?  It got @theyolksonyou a flag so I can tell it wasn't appreciated. 

What is the deal and what have I missed? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2015
    Nothing, really.  :|

• ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,696
      Bjorg said:
      I have the smokeware cap and just saw a new product they released. The Flat cap to snuff the coals. Anybody tried it? Does it save coal?

http://smokeware.com/products/flat-cap
      "Note: Our vented chimney cap is designed to extinguish the coals when fully closed but purists may prefer using our Flat Cap."

Well that pisses me off!!!  Calling me a "purist" because I recognize the fact my standard SS cap does not seal perfectly and consequently, while yes it does shut down the BGE, it doesn't shut it down as quickly.  I'm no effing purist, I'm just an engineer that notices how things work, and witnessed smoke escaping from my "closed" smokeware cap and realize that is why my Egg wasn't cooling off as quickly as it used to.  I don't take lightly to insulting name calling, especially from businesses who should no better than to insult their customers.  I like using my SS, but I am now officially in the unhappy customer category.  Unhappy customers are not repeat customers.  It will be interesting to see if Smokeware can make me a Happy customer.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1767194/#Comment_1767194

Mr. Yolk deserves kudos for his restraint, IMO

• That does clear it up for me. Thanks! 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Did they ever make you a happy customer?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I learned something on this forum. Never talk bad about rockwood, the smokeware cap, or the kick ash basket no matter how pointless they are. Crap I learned nothing.
  • Lit said:
    I learned something on this forum. Never talk bad about rockwood, the smokeware cap, or the kick ash basket no matter how pointless they are. Crap I learned nothing.
    Put the Hi-Que grate on that list. I love mine.

• Zmokin
    Legume said:
    Nope, they did modify their website some, but they didn't remove the offending negative term, so I still refuse to buy the Flat Cap on principle.

It's really kind of ironic, because a true BGE purist would never order their Smokeware Cap in the first place, as a purist would stick with the purity of how BGE designed their product.  So to imply anyone not happy with the shutdown time of their Smokeware cap ASIS, must be a purist that wants/needs the improved shutdown as provided by the Flatcap.  The fact they even came up with it is proof they realize their Smokeware cap doesn't always work as good as the Ceramic cap from BGE.  But a true purist would then only want to use the BGE ceramic cap instead of their aftermarket product.

Some people may find the title "purist" to be a compliment, but to me it means someone that is closed minded to altering things.  I own a particular sportscar and there are purists that view the car as perfect as delivered from the showroom floor and leave everything perfectly stock.  I'm not one of those.  I like to modify things I buy, making them "my own", and ideally, improving their performance.

And so while I like to use my Smokeware cap vs. the daisy wheel as I feel it works better, I suffer with having to remove it and use my Ceramic cap to get my Egg to shutdown quickly, than give them another dime of my money if they feel it is OKay to insult my desire for better shutdown performance than the slower shutdown I get with the SS cap.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The smokeware cap snuffs just fine. 
    The pork looks awesome.  I really like the color on it and the marinade sounds really good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    The pork looks awesome.  I really like the color on it and the marinade sounds really good.  
    Thanks. It was exceptional. 
    I have given some out in my circle and it has come with very positive reviews. 
    It is a stellar change up from your basic smoked butt. 
  • hondabbq
    edited September 2015
    Zmokin said:
    Legume said:

Some people may find the title "purist" to be a compliment, but to me it means someone that is closed minded to altering things.  I own a particular sportscar and there are purists that view the car as perfect as delivered from the showroom floor and leave everything perfectly stock.  I'm not one of those.  I like to modify things I buy, making them "my own", and ideally, improving their performance.
    Isn't this comment a little hypocritical seeing as you throttled me over not preparing traditional Tocino.