Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Relocating to Colorado

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    @NPHuskerFL Really!!?? That's good to hear as Colfax used to be a rough Ave in some areas.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Durangler LoL. Was totally joshin'. It was once okay back when my wife's Grandparents were first starting out many many years ago. What you remember it being like is about like it is now if not worse. Sadly. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Well @NPHuskerFL ... Honestly I haven't been on Colfax for 35 years! And I was too young to hustle then.   =) So I was trusting you. Never again! :rofl: 
    I haven't been to Denver in about 8 years as it is. But my friend in Wheat Ridge keeps me posted.
    Cleaned up the neighborhood ...... I shoulda known better.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Ha that's how I order my Martinis. They ask how dirty and I say colfax dirty. Works every time. We live central denver and love it. Most of the fams we know move to highlands ranch for schools. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Grew up out there on the Eastern plains.  Went to school in Fort Collins.  Great city tons of brewery's.  Just over and hour from DIA.  We always talk of moving back there 
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    We just relocated to CO - Fort Collins specifically - let me know if we can help with anything 
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Welcome   I live in Colorado Springs where the real estate is much more affordable than Denver or the Denver suburbs. But is about 2 hours from the Denver airport if lucky. You might want to check out Longmont and the area north of Denver. E470 toll road makes the area north of Denver very accessible to the airport. North Colorado Springs is within the 2 hour commute to the airport. Probably about an hour to Centinnal (sp) where a lot of the IT stuff is located. 
    We will talk about cooking at altitude later. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Hmmm. 2hr. to DIA. Easy choice. WYOMING. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    stemc33 said:
    Hmmm. 2hr. to DIA. Easy choice. WYOMING. 

Liking that idea, a lot!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    UKMatt said:
    We just relocated to CO - Fort Collins specifically - let me know if we can help with anything 
    Thank you UKMatt! Will do.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Awesome!  I love Colorado.  Would move there in a heart beat.
    And leave @Jeepster47behind? For shame. 
    He is already packed for AZ.  He is just waiting for an excuse :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    I have been working and vacationing in Colorado for many years. Unfortunately I had never thought I would be getting a relo here, and as such the only places I know is the gas station, food stores, outdoor gear stores, and um, maybe one or two liquor stores.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Looking at Red Feather Lakes Colorado. One of the homes has an XL BGE on the  patio. Worth the price if he throws that in.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    This is what I mean, when I am talking how much the BGEs cost you, after you buy them. I am looking for houses that have suitable locations for our BGEs, and offer a view under a sheltered porch, guess what? Every freakin' one of them are tremendously more expensive. Go figure.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Fortunately we live in one of the most sought after zip codes in the USA right now.

I thought you lived in Kentucky 

LOL, What can I say? Cheap, fun and beautiful here. My wife told me it was the most sought zip code, I have no idea. 
    Your trip looks awesome!
    I was just busting your chops my friend. Hope the move is a prosperous one for you and the family. 

At least you're not spazzing out yet about moving your eggs.  =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Fortunately we live in one of the most sought after zip codes in the USA right now.

I thought you lived in Kentucky 

LOL, What can I say? Cheap, fun and beautiful here. My wife told me it was the most sought zip code, I have no idea. 
    Your trip looks awesome!
    I was just busting your chops my friend. Hope the move is a prosperous one for you and the family. 

At least you're not spazzing out yet about moving your eggs.  =)
    Honest as heck, I have started thinking about it.  I called my BGE dealer, and asked them to save me the packaging for an XL.
    they said they would. 
    Thanks for the well wishes. Hope your trip stays awesome!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    YukonRon said:
    Honest as heck, I have started thinking about it.  I called my BGE dealer, and asked them to save me the packaging for an XL.
    they said they would. 
    Thanks for the well wishes. Hope your trip stays awesome!
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was an exchange program where you could drop off your egg at a nearby dealer and pick up an equivalent one at another BGE dealership close to your new locale?  Pipe dream.  Anyway, great thinking on your part asking for the packaging material well in advance.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I live in Fort Collins (northern Colorado).  It is also a college city but is a great place to live if you have a family.  Real estate prices are better here than the Denver metro area where the prices are insanely high right now.  We are an hour away from DIA.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• bill37
    You have a lot of questions and I would be glad to try and answer them. As I said I live in the springs and was coming home from Ft. Collins and there was a 7 car pile up on North bound I-25 between Ft.Collins and E 470 and it took over an hour and a half to go that short distance. There are a lot of people that commute from here to  Denver. North Co. Spgs. is a no brainer. My telephone number is 719 527-6880. If I cannot answer your questions I have two nieces, 2 nephews-in laws, nephew, niece-in law and a sister in law that live in Denver or Denver area.

• YukonRon
    bill37 said:
    You have a lot of questions and I would be glad to try and answer them. As I said I live in the springs and was coming home from Ft. Collins and there was a 7 car pile up on North bound I-25 between Ft.Collins and E 470 and it took over an hour and a half to go that short distance. There are a lot of people that commute from here to  Denver. North Co. Spgs. is a no brainer. My telephone number is 719 527-6880. If I cannot answer your questions I have two nieces, 2 nephews-in laws, nephew, niece-in law and a sister in law that live in Denver or Denver area.

Thank you, Bill. I will ask about Red Feather Lake, Is that a decent area for empty nesters, and people that enjoy the outdoors, and snow sports?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bill37
    Ron I am not familiar with Red Feather Lake but I will find out. Where is it?
  • bill37
    I just googled it and it is pretty remote. Elevation is 7,890ft so it will get a lot of snow. Where are you living now. 
  • bill37
    Google said it is 1 hour and 58 minutes to the Denver airport. The population is 525.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
     I lived there for about ten years and my wife is a Colorado girl.  Peggy Worthington helped us sell and buy houses in the Denver area and knows the area really well.  It's looking like we may retire there in a few years.  Peggy's website is www.peggyworthington.com/ 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• YukonRon
    bill37 said:
    I just googled it and it is pretty remote. Elevation is 7,890ft so it will get a lot of snow. Where are you living now. 
    We live in Louisville. We, as a family, are avid outdoor enthusiasts, as well as, ski and snowboarding bums. We have been in the Rockies quite a bit, the Alps and the Andes frequently as well. Over the last 45 years, I have had the chance to summit all 53 of the 14ers.
    Colorado or the mountains somewhere in the west, was going to be where we wanted to retire, so we were thinking about a place with some elevation.
    A couple years ago, we were there in July, around 9000 ft, and got snow.

Bill, thank you so much for the kindness and help. I appreciate all you have done.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    dlk7 said:
     I lived there for about ten years and my wife is a Colorado girl.  Peggy Worthington helped us sell and buy houses in the Denver area and knows the area really well.  It's looking like we may retire there in a few years.  Peggy's website is www.peggyworthington.com/ 
    Thank you for the contact, I will try to send her a note.

I certainly appreciate the kindness and help.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Looking for a bit outside of Denver. Real estate ther is nuts.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Trust me. Fort Collins or Windsor!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• YukonRon
    QDude said:
    Trust me. Fort Collins or Windsor!
    We are looking as far north as Wyoming at this point so nothing is off the table. I am looking at both those locations very seriously.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Regardless of where you move to in CO, I would recommend going to Fort Collins and taking the tour of the New Belgium Brewing Company.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.