Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber version of lump coal reducer

Options
 Saw these and was thinking about them to cook up a couple of steaks directly over the coals on my XL BGE.  I know the ceramic grill store sells something like this but I was wondering if anyone has used this Weber version to achieve the same result.  I like that it comes with two of them for under $20 . What says the hive? 
XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I used these way back  in my briquette days (about 6 years ago, pre-egg) and they worked very well to separate coals for indirect type cooking.  Should accomplish what you are trying to do.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have seen it done.  @cookingdude555 shows a pic in this thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180367/weber-charcoal-rails

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    You don't need to spend the $20. They come free with your purchase of the 26.75" kettle. It's barely smaller than a XXL, and about 4k less. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    They will work I just don't know how long it'll last. Personally I'd go see a fabricator I bet they would charge less for a couple pieces of angle iron. Plus if you piled the lump too high and may want to fall down and push those out-of-the-way. But then again I have never had them
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    Doh!  I just read a review of these online where someone suggested just using a pair of bricks to section off the bottom of the firebox which will accomplish the same thing (well, sort of, if all you need is to push the coal to one side.  Anyone ever done this?  This seems like a simple enough idea - my only concern would be if the bricks would emit any kind of ... noxious gas or fumes or other type of undesirable additive that would hinder the flavor or safety of the food.  Thoughts?
    XL BGE Owner Since September 2015 - So expect a lot of newbie questions and please go easy on me :-)
  • jimithing
    Options
    Doh!  I just read a review of these online where someone suggested just using a pair of bricks to section off the bottom of the firebox which will accomplish the same thing (well, sort of, if all you need is to push the coal to one side.  Anyone ever done this?  This seems like a simple enough idea - my only concern would be if the bricks would emit any kind of ... noxious gas or fumes or other type of undesirable additive that would hinder the flavor or safety of the food.  Thoughts?
    If you go this route you want to look for fire bricks.  I don't know where you're located but any masonry supply house should have them.  Maybe even your local Ace hardware.

You can also get some L brackets from the Ceramic Grill Store.

I wouldn't buy the Weber ones.  I've had those with my Weber Performer and they don't last long.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Tractor Supply sells individual fire bricks for $3 if you have one near you. 

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/united-states-stove-single-firebrick?cm_vc=-10005

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Here's a link you might find useful...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/firebricks.htm

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I use fire bricks to create a combo direct/indirect cook using less lump. Got them at Tractor Supply for like $2 ea. I don't worry about toxins as I believe I breath more toxins in a breath of fresh air than I'd ever breath in from a fire brick or ceramic cooker or lump smoke or wood smoke or bathroom air fresheners.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
     I live in South Florida. I've been to tractor supply Home Depot and Lowe's and each place that I ask about firebricks they look at me like I have nine heads 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You are overthinking this. If you want lump on one side of the fire grate, just put it there. Save your 20 bucks. If it'll work on my smokey joe, it'll work on an XL. If you decide to use bricks, any brick will do. If a standard brick eventually fails because it's not a fire brick, just grab another one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I have a set of those that someone gave me when I got the Weber awhile back. they're several years old now. I cook steaks on the Weber with them on top of a couple of firebricks. That raises the lump to just about the cooking grate level but leave the bottom holes clear so the lump can breath. It's sort of caveman style but the meat isn't laying in the lump.
    You also have room for indirect cooking on the other side. Sear at the front end or at the tail end. Whatever trips your trigger.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If you want to spend $20 on something get a chimney if you don't already have one.

Fill it, start it, dump the lump in a big pile in the center and just flatten the pile out just enough to match the size of your steaks. Cook.

As Carolina Q said, if you just want to set up coals on one side for an indirect either just dump them there if you use a chimney or use your coal rake to scrape them all over to one side or just pile them up on one side before lighting. Don't need any fire bricks or other gizmos. An XL is plenty large enough to be able to easily set up an indirect setup.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    What @Carolina Q and @HeavyG said.

if I want two zones on my XL, I bank the lump against the back wall.  If I just want a smaller, scorching fire, I just pile in the middle and let that rip.
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    UPDATE - Being the gadget guy that I am, I decided to pick up those weber things and bring me home. They are quite sturdy and substantial and cost less than $20. I decided they would be even more functional for the cook I'm going to have today by removing (unsnapping) the curved basket part and just using them as "L" type stands. Here's how they look inside the grill. With the ability to move and shape them around the bottom, with or without the baskets, they seem very versatile. 
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Legume said:
    What @Carolina Q and @HeavyG said.

if I want two zones on my XL, I bank the lump against the back wall.  If I just want a smaller, scorching fire, I just pile in the middle and let that rip.
    same here.  Lots of room in the XL to pile stuff up and create no charcoal areas.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • swordsmn
    Options
     I live in South Florida. I've been to tractor supply Home Depot and Lowe's and each place that I ask about firebricks they look at me like I have nine heads 
    Ace is the place... Plus it's an EFE (egg friendly environ)
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Tier1Terrier
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    Ace is the place... Plus it's an EFE (egg friendly environ)
    Ace was my last stop. They didn't have firebricks. That's ok since they had the weber charcoal baskets. They worked out perfectly for my cool last night and they seem like they'll hold up for a while. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    You can order on ace.com and they will ship to store. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Nice!  I like the set up with the home made angle brackets.  I saw those at wally-world on clearance for like $8-$10.  Now I wish I had grabbed them. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I still have my old charcoal baskets that are made similar to the KAB ...made of wire not stamped ..I use them for raised direct also

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI