Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Draft Party Porchetta with a 25# Suckling (PICS)

Options
So I finally got to execute a bucket list cook of mine.  I started out with a 25# suckling pig.

I deboned and trimmed it to size

I did not go with the traditional Mediterranean flavors.  I wanted to have a more Caribbean feel to the end product so I used @Caribeque #IslandThyme.

I cut up some pork butt and mixed it with some bulk sausage and cilantro.

A little rolling and trussing and boom, pig missile prepped and ready to go!

Scored the skin, shaped to fit the XL, and parchment paper and foil on the snout and ears.

Perfect fit, set at 325F dome.

Spritzed with ACV every half hour until the juiced were running, then basted with it's own drippings, until it hit 165ish F at the thickest part.

Then he got pulled out of the drip pan and placed on a rack in my preheated oven at 500F for a half hour to crisp up.

Sliced up nicely.  Some of the skin was still leathery, but most was an amazing taste and texture that I can only describe as a bacon flavored florescent light bulb lol

Plated up nice. Great flavor and texture all around.

Little stubs bbq sauce and some spicy pickles topped with a pickled sriracha  slaw.

I also got to put my novelty branding iron to good use, lol!

Overall a real fun weekend project, box checked, on to my next cook.  Thanks for reading, -Nate

Comments