Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisketology 101

Options
After months of looking and reading about everyone's brisket cooks, I decided it was time to take the dive.  In summary:
Used Worchestershire Sauce and Dizzy Dust as a rub that sat for 3 hours before cook.
Held temp at 250-260 pit temp for first 4 hours.
At 165, wrapped in foil and mopped with Sweet Baby Rays and honey.
Took out of foil after 2 hours and back on the rack to finish.
At 195, removed from grate.  Fork went through like butta..
Back into foil and wrapped into towel.  Then put into cooler till dinner.
Total cook time- 6 hours.

had never foiled any low and slow before.   Will do that again.  Had never put in cooler to settle before.  Will definitely do that more often.  My mom was over for dinner and says " where is the meat", and when I pulled the towel out of the cooler and took the meat out her eyes opened up and couldn't believe it.  Grabbed thermopen and stuck into the meat-160. After 2 1/2 hours in the cooler(not a Yeti).  Was great- thanks to all the egg heads who share their wisdom and experience !

This was about an hour into cook.  Had apple juice in the pan.

Ready to carve.   One thing I did not do was to trim off the fat cap.   Next time I will do that.   Didn't realize how much there was.

After dinner I cut some of that fat off before I sliced the rest up fo leftovers.

1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good.  Fat is flavor.  Don't trim off too much, Jack Sprat!
    Options
    Looks good

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Brisket looks nice and moist. I wouldn't trim any more fat off than what's there, but Sweet Baby Ray's and honey? Why oh why?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Bentgrass
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Brisket looks nice and moist. I wouldn't trim any more fat off than what's there, but Sweet Baby Ray's and honey? Why oh why?
    I had a brain fart... Doesn't make any sense and won't do it again.  I think my sweet tooth overwhelmed me !  As far as the fat is concerned,  never did brisket before and had no idea what to expect.  Have read lots of posts where most was cut off.   I could not bring myself to cut it off and then when finished saw how much there was.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @nolaegghead, I cannot agree more, fat= flavor. I tell guys all the time that fat is your friend in BBQ. Really fat is your friend in most all proteins, maybe not poultry. Beef and pork for sure. 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Thanks for the comments !  It's a learning experience.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    I trim off a lot of fat if it's going into the fridge and will likely be eaten cold. Hot, melted, beef fat is indeed delicious, but cold, solidified beef fat is tallow and I'm not into eating candles...

Nice cook here, but I would definitely concur with ditching the honey moving forward.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI