Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I Overanalyzing This?

Options
As a newby I've been reading posts here and watching YouTube vids to learn skills and techniques for my new XL.  I've done one low n slow, a smallish 5# pork shoulder, that turned out well.  With each cook I learn more.  But I've been chasing my tail over this question: if you're cooking multiple pieces of the same meat is the cook time additive or controlled by the largest piece?  A key factor is to have enough fuel, but it seems to me that if one is able to maintain temp for the time the largest piece requires for doneness, the others will be finished earlier.  Based on my experience with the pork shoulder my logic would suggest that 2 5# shoulders of the same size would cook in the same time, or about 10 hrs at 250F.

What says the forum?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    If your cooking 1 chicken breast at 425 how long will it take?

So, if you cook 10 chicken breast at 425 how long will it take?

The same as if you were cooking 1. Nothing changes if your doing 4 8lbs butts, it takes however long it would to do 1 8lbs butt. And if you have a smaller chicken breast it'll be done first, right? Just as if you do 3 8lbs butts and 1 5lbs butt, the 5lbs will be done first. 

XLBGE 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Each piece of meat will cook about the same as it would by itself, unless you stitch or glue them together into a single piece.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Don't over think it, we all have and it waste time  :)

it only changes when the meat is touching, like if you stacked butts or tied chicken together for some reason. 

XLBGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ and the three 8 pounders will all act differently. 

Relax and have fun!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cook time is not additive but it isn't the same as one butt either.  Slightly longer.  Every chunk of cold meat you put in the cooker is like an ice cube and they block some of the radiant heat normally originating from the dome ceramic.
    Options
    Thanks everyone..  I will forge on..... And relax!!

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    And don't think that the smaller one will finish first-they each have a mind of their own and it may run well longer than the largest one.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    And don't think that the smaller one will finish first-they each have a mind of their own and it may run well longer than the largest one.  

No more OCD guys on the forum! Sometimes you have to let art flow over you.

Steve 

Caledon, ON