Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roughing it this week.....

Options
Am at our mountain house for a week and have nothing but these crude metal implements for my cooking needs

Friend from Chicago sent a care package... Allen Brothers dry aged bone in 20oz ribeyes

Have to make do with the tools at hand

Nothing fancy, but the steak was delicious

For after dinner

Enjoy your long weekend everyone.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I need your friends...
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Outstanding, love me some Oskar Blues....and a Cohiba.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Looks like you are managing in some real adverse conditions.  Way to overcome.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Forget the egg. Let see some more of the cabin! Asheville?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Lol @ Jeremiah the house is nothing special, bought it mostly for the view. We are about 20 minutes west of Asheville out in the valleys. Wouldn't even think about paying the insane prices in town. Besides..... too many people.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hang in there and really try to choke down those AB ribeyes. You can do it. Nice weber performer setup. Oh, how was the stick?
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Awesome. We're zeroing in on that area as well. As soon as the student loans are paid, anyways. Beautiful view. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I have to say it looks like a real hardship. Solider on. I am sure you are up to the challenge.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    We have a vacation home in Burke county, about an hour east of Asheville. Great spot to stay when we hit the panther games
    Carrollton, Va
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The Lord chooses his mightiest warriors to do his most difficult work. You should feel honored that this thankless and difficult situation has been bestowed upon you. Go out, great warrior, make all of human kind proud. Survive, and advance. Cook well with such primitive tools and furnishings. We pin our hopes of survival on you.
    Great cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Yeah, I agree, if I can send a care package, let me know.

Seriously though, nice view, and nice eats.

Phoenix 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That's tough!  Nice looking steak.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • swordsmn
    Options
    Good thing you're a prepper.  Keep a stiff upper lip.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    @Chief9 I live next door in Caldwell County next time your in town let me know.
    Chief9 said:
    We have a vacation home in Burke county, about an hour east of Asheville. Great spot to stay when we hit the panther games
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • NCSmoky
    Options
    Ok maybe roughing it may be a bit of hyperbole, but I will miss using my Eggs. Actually I might be missing my Blackstone more  :o
    @pgprescott the stick was great. A bit larger vitola than I usually smoke. I prefer Siglo II as I usually pick up a box once a year and ration them out. I see a lot of cigars in peoples pics, maybe we need a cigar OT thread.
  • Northarrow
    Options
    NCSmoky said:

That's a money shot for sure.  Nice...
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've only been in that part of the country once. my wife has a nephew jus outside of Ashville.  Truly beautiful part of the world.
    You are to be envied!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    @Piney if you get to Morganton, check out Catawba Valley Brewing Company as I see youre a craft beer fan.  We always enjoy their beer!
    Carrollton, Va
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    NCSmoky said:

That's a money shot for sure.  Nice...
    Completely agree.  Incredibly jealous from that shot.  Put me up in the mountains near Asheville and give me a growler of 10 fidy and some ribeyes.  Yes sir!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• piney
    Options
    Chief9 said:
    @Piney if you get to Morganton, check out Catawba Valley Brewing Company as I see youre a craft beer fan.  We always enjoy their beer!
    Chief9 said:
    Sounds good. The next time you are in town let us know we will fire up the eggs. I live on the Caldwell/Burke line on Hwy 18/ U.S. 64
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Chief9 do this. Gary is good people. Make sure @kdp is there for wine duty. 
  • NCSmoky
    Options
    Fidy put a hurtin on me last night, going a little easier tonight

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    piney said:
    Chief9 said:
    Chief9 said:
    Sounds good. The next time you are in town let us know we will fire up the eggs. I live on the Caldwell/Burke line on Hwy 18/ U.S. 64
    @Piney I'm up that way to go to Wilson Creek pretty often. Do you trout fish?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• piney
    Options
    piney said:
    Chief9 said:
    Chief9 said:
    Wilson Creek??? That's my backyard! No I don't trout fish much but I go there weekly. Please let me know when you are heading this way.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    piney said:
    piney said:
    Chief9 said:
    Chief9 said:
    Wilson Creek??? That's my backyard! No I don't trout fish much but I go there weekly. Please let me know when you are heading this way.
    I certainly will.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Beautiful. I have a weekend place in Todd, between Boone and West Jefferson. Similar looking country. My large egg resides there.

Looks like a great day. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Sounds like the NC mountains are a popular place!  We need to have a mountain get together this fall!  I'm in banner elk part time!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• piney
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    Sounds like the NC mountains are a popular place!  We need to have a mountain get together this fall!  I'm in banner elk part time!
    Let's do that. Call me @ 828-302-0842 we will arrange
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Kölsch, Gaffel! Do you have the .2 or .3 test tubes as they serve it in Köln?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky