Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new owner

Mañana Mike
Mañana Mike Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all who answered my question about the cover for my BG. I'm a new owner in Oregon & this is really fun. I'm wanting to learn more about the eggtoberfest and hope to attend one. Maybe we can get a west coast version going some time. Anyway this BGE machine is one awsome BBQ. My brother in law in L.A. is buying one as I write after visiting us and seeing it in action.[p]One question: In some of the receipes and letters, some of you all (I know, thats southern for you guys) you speak of dome temperatures. I thought you just used the temp guage on the outside of the BGE for reference. Are you using another thermometer such as an oven thermometer inside?[p]Just trying to get up to speed with all you experts. This is fun.[p]Thanks
Mañana
Mike

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Mañana Mike,
    When we speak of dome temp we are refering to the external thermometer that protrudes in to the dome. We also talk about internal temp and is when using a thermometer like a polder that has a probe inserted into the food being cooked. It registers the internal meat temp. BTW, its y'all.

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Mañana Mike,
    Welcome to the BGE family. A great source of answers to your questions is The Big Green Egg Owners Web Sites. Go to the BGE Home Page, click on "Links", and scroll down to The BIg Green Egg Owners Web Sites. All three site are very good. All the folks on the forum are of great help also.
    Fireball

• Fireball,[p]Thanks for the advice. Its nice to be here & get all the answers. Good cookin

• JJ,[p]Thanks for the answer. I didn't know if you had an oven thermometer on the grill plus the dome one or not. Now I know. I'll also get the y'all right for when I get to meet all you southern barbequers.[p]Mañana Mike

• Many also place a thermometer (Polder type or oven type) on the grill, as grill-level temp can vary considerably from dome temp.