Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- gas prices

Options
I love my big gas guzzler. So you know I'm liking these gas prices. It's a 1.80 a gallon here. Hopefully it will stay that price for traveling 8 hours to brisket camp next month. @nolaegghead

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Philly35
    Options
    2.39 here. Just went down from 2.49
    NW IOWA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    $1.80?!?!?!?   :o 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    2.25-2.40 in the DC/Baltimore area. I drive a diesel so the 2.40ish has been awesome.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    I paid $7.69/gallon today. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Makes me feel a little better.  I think we're still at around $3.13 or so per gallon up here (maybe $3.23).
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Norway ain't cheap!

just so you know we've hit 1.99 here in your home state. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    $2.25 here. We are all subsidizing them good ol' boys in Texas. They look out for #1 for sure. Still, 225 is considerably better than it HAS been!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I was in ND on Friday and it was $2.45
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    $2.29 at Costco & Sam's in my area.
    Paid $2.99 for a dozen eggs on sale yesterday! :angry: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Saw $2.29 in the ATL

Diesel $2.49
    New Albany, Ohio 

• golfguyjosh
    Options
    I am getting Diesel in FL from 2.39 to 2.65 depending on which side of the road I fill up on. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    $1.94 in Charlotte
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Lmidkiff
    Options
    1.89 here
    McKinney, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    2.39 on the plains
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bakoque
    Options
    Just filled up at $2.85 in central California, but 3 of our oil drilling customers have laid off over 2,000 between them because of the low price of oil.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    $2.17 at Costco in cumming ga
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I saw $1.95 In south Jersey today. Ever since I converted my house from oil to natural gas last year the price if oil has been falling.

Anyone looking for a stock tip or a horse to bet on?

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Will be sub $2 US soon, winter blend is cheaper and OPEC thinks they can break us. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

What is driving this?  @SGH any idea?

@Dobie ?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    US oil production is way up, new methods producing lots of oil domestically. The middle east is flooding the market hoping to sell it cheaper than the US can produce thus crushing the US production. They've done it before but new methods of producing oil domestically are cheaper than offshore ways of the past.  Basically the middle east is trying to run US oil production out of business with cheap oil. Good for consumers right now.  
    Jacksonville FL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Thanks, Obama!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:

@Dobie ?

The biggest thing that is driving it is high production. When oil was extremely high for so long, that's when the super majors  start farther exploration and production. Just in the Gulf of Mexico, in the past 2 years there have been several major reserves brought online. Just to name a few that I have worked on: BP Thunder Horse, Shell Cardamom, Shell Stones, Hess Tubular Bells, Exxon Hadrian South, Exxon Julia, Deep Gulf Energy Kodiak. All of these are massive, high yield reserves that are producing at near capacity or will be very shortly. When you add in all of the fracking in the North, and Saudi Arabia producing at a all time high, it creates a glut of oil and prices fall. The fields that I named above are just a few that I personally worked on. There were several more in that same time frame that I did not work on that came online or are in the process of coming on line as well. Kodiak and Cardamom will producing at full capacity around the first of the year. Prices will fall even farther for a while. But don't get to excited. Once the majors recover their upfront investment to bring these wells online, they will cut production and drive the price back up. This is a tactic that they have been using for well over a century now. It was a practice that was perfected by the former giant and parent to almost all American oil companies. The Standard Oil Trust. Rest assured my friend, just as sure as the sun sets in the west, you will live to see $5.00 a gallon gasoline. And it really won't be that long before it happens. Once their initial investment is recovered, all of these fields will be throttled back to 1/3 capacity. This will create a "fake" shortage and prices will soar again. I call it fake because the oil is there and tapped, they just reduce production. They can ramp up or down at will anytime that they want. Just the deep water fields brought online last year has enough reserves and output to run America for the next half century. There is no shortage of oil. Except when they want it to be. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    SGH said:
    EGGjlmh said:

@Dobie ?

The biggest thing that is driving it is high production. When oil was extremely high for so long, that's when the super majors  start farther exploration and production. Just in the Gulf of Mexico, in the past 2 years there have been several major reserves brought online. Just to name a few that I have worked on: BP Thunder Horse, Shell Cardamom, Shell Stones, Hess Tubular Bells, Exxon Hadrian South, Exxon Julia, Deep Gulf Energy Kodiak. All of these are massive, high yield reserves that are producing at near capacity or will be very shortly. When you add in all of the fracking in the North, and Saudi Arabia producing at a all time high, it creates a glut of oil and prices fall. The fields that I named above are just a few that I personally worked on. There were several more in that same time frame that I did not work on that came online or are in the process of coming on line as well. Kodiak and Cardamom will producing at full capacity around the first of the year. Prices will fall even farther for a while. But don't get to excited. Once the majors recover their upfront investment to bring these wells online, they will cut production and drive the price back up. This is a tactic that they have been using for well over a century now. It was a practice that was perfected by the former giant and parent to almost all American oil companies. The Standard Oil Trust. Rest assured my friend, just as sure as the sun sets in the west, you will live to see $5.00 a gallon gasoline. And it really won't be that long before it happens. Once their initial investment is recovered, all of these fields will be throttled back to 1/3 capacity. This will create a "fake" shortage and prices will soar again. I call it fake because the oil is there and tapped, they just reduce production. They can ramp up or down at will anytime that they want. Just the deep water fields brought online last year has enough reserves and output to run America for the next half century. There is no shortage of oil. Except when they want it to be. 

Thanks sir for the in depth explanation.  Although I enjoy saving money at the pump, I realize that many people in the oil industry count on it as a living such as yourself.  I continue to hope that oil stays down in price but at the same time hope all other Americans in the oil industry can also make their fine living as they should.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• SGH
    Options
    @EGGjlmh
    You will almost certainly get to enjoy low prices for a while longer. When Cardamom and Kodiak come online and into full production, prices should fall even farther. About the only thing that could prevent it is if the Saudis throttle back for some reason. All these new fields will run at full or near full capacity until the majors recoup their investment. But again, sadly once their upfront costs are regained, they will cut production. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when my friend. Enjoy it while you can. To me what is really sad, there is enough oil in the deep water basin of the Gulf alone to push gas prices down to less than a dollar a gallon if they so chose. But this is a choice they will never make. The fields they are tapping now with the latest SPAR technology is massive on a grand scale. My only point is don't fall for the hype when they say oil shortage. Just with what is tapped, proven and ready for production as of right now, there will be no shortage of oil in our life time. The only shortage is when they shut in wells or cut production. And this is by choice to drive up the price per barrel. If the average person really knew just how much oil was in the Gulf alone, they would burn Washington D.C. to the ground for ever having to pay over a dollar a gallon for gas. Even though I work for them and owe everything I own to them, I will be the first to admit that the only thing as crooked as a politician is a oil executive. A oil "shortage" makes both oil executives and politicians very, very rich.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Here is a another very intriguing fact. Sitting just a few miles off of the Florida coast around what is known as the Destin Dome is a massive proven reserve that currently can not be produced due to environmental laws. If Chevron and ConocoPhillips had the green light to produce this reserve that is so close to land, gas would be almost half of what it is right now. It's a monster reserve that is already proven and it's cheap to produce due to its very close proximity to land and two major refineries. I'm all for conservation, I honestly am. But less than a dollar gasoline sure is appeasing to me. I can ramble on and on for days about this stuff. The reason that I like talking about it is to enlighten the non oilfield workers about just how much oil is really out there. When you hear the term shortage, it's just a strategic market manipulating a strategy. Nothing more. I will make one last point for the real young folks out there. For as big as the Gulf is, it is dwarfed in size by both the Pacific and the Atlantic. If there is enough oil in the Gulf to easily run America for almost the next century, how much do you think lies in the even deeper waters of the Atlantic and Pacific? The amount there is beyond comprehension. I won't personally live to ever see it, but plans are already in the works to push out into the very deep waters of both. For all the young people reading this, you will live to see the day that Saudi Arabia no longer sits at the top of the production food chain. Royal Dutch Shell and Exxon/Mobil will surpass them when they bring these extremely deepwater wells into production. As of today, we are already sitting sub sea main lines in over 7,000 feet of water. Something unimaginable only a decade ago. The plan for the very near future is 15,000 feet water depth. Then after that, 25,000 feet. It's happening faster and faster everyday as ROV and spooling technology keeps advancing. My whole point in all of this is that we have both the reserves and refining capabilities to have 25 cent a gallon gasoline. So the next time you are paying 2$ a gallon for gas and thinking you are getting a good deal, remember this is exactly what they want you to think. You are actually getting screwed, only now I have made you aware of it. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For some reason this thread has went the way of the buffalo. The "OT" maybe?

Status- Standing by.

• rifrench
    Options
    Thanks for the insight!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    Norway ain't cheap!

just so you know we've hit 1.99 here in your home state. 
    $7.69 is cheap for here. Exchange rates are better than historical averages. Normally it would be about $11.00/gallon or so.