Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Minimax

I have a large and a small already, and I am considering adding a minimax, mainly for tailgating.  Question is how long it takes for it to cool off after you shut it down.  I know on my large and small Eggs, it takes a while.  If I use the minimax for tailgating, I want to be able to shut it down, and after it stops burning and it's cooled off, place it back in the car before I go into the game.  No way I'm leaving it outside the car while I'm in the game.  Thanks.
Large, Small & Mini. Marietta, GA Go DAWGS!!

Comments

• Maybe carry a bucket of water...just scoop out the lump into the bucket then leave the MM open to cool faster. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    It stays hot for a bit. Maybe get a KAB and empty ash/coals into steal can and leave MM open to cool. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • We have a MMX and a Medium. The MMX does cool down a bit quicker. If you are tailgating I recommend you get the lump basket...I can't remember what they call it-Kick Ash Basket or something like that. But it is a basket you put your lump in, when done pull it out with the hot coals and maybe throw them in water quickly. That will help cool down the MMX quicker.

But if you don't want to spend the $50 or so then @clifkincaid idea works just as well. Plus I can't remember if they sell this for the MMX yet.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    The kick ash basket is the way to go.  I bought one for the sole purpose of being able to remove the lump and cool the Mini Max down faster.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    The MM holds the heat much like its other family members.  I have had to wait a couple hours before to ensure it was safe to travel with in the back of the vehicle.  The recommendations for ash removal is key to a quicker cool down process.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• TEH68 said:
    I have a large and a small already, and I am considering adding a minimax, mainly for tailgating.  Question is how long it takes for it to cool off after you shut it down.  I know on my large and small Eggs, it takes a while.  If I use the minimax for tailgating, I want to be able to shut it down, and after it stops burning and it's cooled off, place it back in the car before I go into the game.  No way I'm leaving it outside the car while I'm in the game.  Thanks.
    ...just let me know where that tailgate spot is haha
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Usa a KAB and chain it up just like a bike ? Through the top vent and out the bottom and around your rear tire. Doubt anyone will be walking around in the parking lot with bolt cutters. But I could be wrong.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2015
    I have the MM and although it would be nice and look great at tailgates, unless you have a pickup truck I think it just holds heat way too long. Some guys should give it a test run.on how long after pulling the kab and lump, it can cool down being left wide open. I may do this test but have not been using my eggs as much these days
    Seattle, WA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    SkinnyV said:
    I have the MM and although it would be nice and look great at tailgates, unless you have a pickup truck I think it just holds heat way too long. Some guys should give it a test run.on how long after pulling the kab and lump, it can cool down being left wide open.
    How do you tailgate without a truck? :i_dunno: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    edited September 2015

I was part of a large tailgate group yesterday and one of the crew had 2 brand new minimax to play with. They are heavier than I expected, but still manageable for tailgating. They cut them off and dumped the coals/ash out about 30 minutes before packing them up. I did not get to feel how hot they still were but he packed them into his SUV and it did not burn down, lol

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    stemc33 said:
    It stays hot for a bit. Maybe get a KAB and empty ash/coals into steal can and leave MM open to cool. 
    THIS^^^^^^^^^
    it takes a while, but the KAB IS THE TICKET! Did a major cook yesterday, 4.5 hours @ 350F. Pulled the KAB, left open had it down below 200F In about 40 mins, could have been less, it was the only time I checked. Usually it is a couple of hours when shut down.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    When I've tailgated with my SBGE and Mini, I take a galvanized bucket to put the hot lump in when I need to cool down the egg. I used tongs to take out the remaining lump and quenched it with a gallon of water. Then I lifted out the fire ring and fire box, left the dome open and it was cooled enough to handle it with bare hands in about a half hour. Now I have a KAB so the task should be event easier. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • @chrisc133 beat me to it. And hopefully it's close to the Holiday Inn as I don't want to have to carry it too far.  =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2015
    Have about 40 bucks into this setup.  Split split firebricks, construction adhesive, 2x4s, Birch plywood, sandpaper, screws, ext primer, ext paint, mini roller.  Basic tools, jigsaw, circular saw, drill.

Dump, light, cook. shut vents, slide into bed, shut tailgate, done. 

No need for a minimax just for tailgating when you already own a small.  The MMs are still heavy.  Someone may have the specs between the two.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2015
    If the BGE website is accurate, the MM is 90# and the Small is 80#.  That seems odd as I would thought the MM would be less weight than the Small.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    4Runner said:
    If the BGE website is accurate, the MM is 90# and the Small is 80#.  That seems odd as I would thought the MM would be less weight than the Small.  
    That seems about right when I picked one up in the metal stand at my last eggfest.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Somewhere in the interwebs there's a couple of pics of me on a scale with a mm. It's closer to 78#. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    90#?  :pensive: Ya maybe with the WOO, deflector stone, CI grid, full of lump and a decent size butt smoking away. I've done the same test as Jason @theyolksonyou and came up with similar results (around 78#). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 4Runner
    Ok, so then the small probably comes in at 68.    So what is the advantage of the MM over the small?  I just assumed it was lighter and I see the height of the small as an advantage.  Maybe the MM is cheaper?  Just curious.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • We just took ours to its first tailgate on Thursday - had the temps up to 500 - shut it down about 2 hours before kickoff to extinguish coals -highly recommend getting a kick ash basket and a galvanized bucket w/locking lid - after 30 minutes we removed the basked and stored that w/warm coals in the bucket  - left the lid up on the minimax and it cooled down pretty quickly - we were able to get it loaded back in the car well ahead of kickoff - no issues w/heat as we left the ash bucket out until we were ready to head out after the game - and believe me - our car is packed like we are moving far far away when we tailgate.  
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • 4Runner
    What about just chaining to your tailgate and lock it?
  • 4Runner said:
    What about just chaining to your tailgate and lock it?
    We considered chaining it w/ a good lock - but it was certainly cooled off enough - and given the uncertainty of when we will actually leave the stadium some concerns that it could be damaged as we park and tailgate next to the road leading out  of the lots. 
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max