Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BGE lump hardwood charcoal

Options

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @stemc33 my wife would just shake her head and know good eats await. 
  • coooltroy
    coooltroy Posts: 207
    Options
    @DMW I'm very jealous!!!  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Also, I need a truck. The trunk won't hold that much. Amazing what one consonant will do. 
  • coooltroy
    Options
    @stemc33 my wife would have a heart attack if she saw half that much lump!!  LOL.  I'm guessing @DMW does a bit of cooking for others or has a family bigger than the Duggar family   :o:o:o;)
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks like more than I've ever loaded in my truck. Definite load envy!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Easy. Rockwood is the best lump overall.   Well worth the $$$. It's all I burn these days.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Mikee said:
    stemc33 said:
      Funny. :rofl: 

I'm not surprised by your stupid reply. Someday you'll grow up and learn how to cook and not belittle someone who knows how.
    Still ROFLAO :rofl: :rofl: where are all of your cooks?

Um! In my belly. Just cooked some beef ribs. I have not cooked them in years. I used Oakridge rubs and they came out great. You're still a FF who doesn't know how to cook.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Easy. Rockwood is the best lump overall.   Well worth the $$$. It's all I burn these days.  
    I got your back on this one. That is all I burn. The thing is to let these other guys burn what ever they want so there is more RW left for those of us that know better.  =)

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    +1^^^^^^^^^^^.  Good thinking brother Matt!
  • Mikee
    Options

@mattman3969 There is no shortage of RW. The reason there is more RW is because a ton of other people do not buy it. It is good lump but Way Over Priced in my area.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Sorry for you @Mikee!  What price in your neck of the woods?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Mikee said:

@mattman3969 There is no shortage of RW. The reason there is more RW is because a ton of other people do not buy it. It is good lump but Way Over Priced in my area.

Got over 200 dealers on the waiting list now.  Only taken a handful in the last year.  Not saying we're that much better than anyone else, but it is definitely in short supply as evidence by our empty warehouse.  Biggest issues this year were increased sales due to the disappearance of another well liked brand combined with the wettest summer in decades in the Midwest. 
  • Mikee
    Options

$24 plus tax. Good lump but does not give the value of $12.25, plus tax, for RO. If the RW was closer in price I may be inclined to buy it.

For some reason others think I against RW. That's not the case. I cook on the Egg more than others. I don't want to spend twice the price. I stated over and over the RW is good lump. I've never bashed the product. They do not control the retail pricing. In my area there was only one dealer and they were charging an arm and a leg. I choose to buy lump elsewhere and a different brand. Why is that so bad?

• coooltroy
    Options
    @Mikee I have to disagree with you, if it wasn't selling in your area the price would be reduced to sell.  Supply and demand.  Clearly people must be willing to pay inflated prices, or that isn't a normal price.  @stlcharcoal I wish I could get your charcoal to try it out, your service and website lead me to believe its better than most!

• Mikee
    Options
    @coooltroy Where are you located?  The reason that lump, as well as eggs, sell for inflated prices is because the product does not sell well. The retailers can not sell for under a 50% markup because the product sits for ever. Selling 1 bag of RW every week at $24 is not going to drive business when someone can buy a similar lump at 1/2 the price. Dealers that move the product will sell it at a better price. Dealers that overprice it sit on it. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Mikee said:
    @coooltroy Where are you located?  The reason that lump, as well as eggs, sell for inflated prices is because the product does not sell well. The retailers can not sell for under a 50% markup because the product sits for ever. Selling 1 bag of RW every week at $24 is not going to drive business when someone can buy a similar lump at 1/2 the price. Dealers that move the product will sell it at a better price. Dealers that overprice it sit on it. 

Rarely do we have to "cull the herd" of underperforming dealers..... all meet our sales minimums during the BBQ season.

Dude, just say you like RO for the value and performance and leave it at.   There's no reason to try to have to justify it by going into the economics of my company.  That's why people are messing with you. 

BTW, I bought some RO this summer on sale at Home Depot.  Great product for the money and it worked for everything I used it for.  Blew my mind how they can sell it for the price I paid.  I recommend it to anyone that wants to get away from briquettes because it's made in the US and is widely available for a good price.

• coooltroy
    Options
    @Mikee, I can tell you that if the product wasn't selling for the dealer they would drop the price and stop selling (or if that was their price/sales model they would be out of business).  $21-$25 for 20lbs is more than I would prefer to spend, but if the product is geared toward the highest $$ customers I would guess it is priced where the manufacturer wants it.  If 100% of the bag is good lump vs 70% of RO (at best, and not nearly the quality) than the price isn't as egregious as it seems and its likely a much better product (hopefully but I don't know).  I have found Lazzari to be the best I have tried at $15 p/20lb bag but I would love to try Rockwood to see if it is noticeably the best.  If it was, would be a no brainer to me.  
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mikee said:

He said he lives in Northern California.   Its not sold there because of California regulations that have to be on the packaging for California.   Rockwood is a small company and can't afford to have different packaging like Royal Oak.   I liked the price of RO untell I found RW.  Now that is all that I use.  I have an XL and can get a good couple weeks of heavy cooking out of one bag or sometimes a month.  RO burned up faster and and had more smoke flavor.   Glad you like RO, but that's why there are others out there to use and I like that why I chose RW.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I spent $6.49/lb for a effin chuck roast today. The price of lump is the least of my worries. 
  • coooltroy
    Options
    @Ladeback69 well said.... I respect those that like the value of RO, but that isn't what I started this thread for.  I don't want the cheapest lump or best value, I am wanting to find the best that I can buy... really going to work on finding a way to get it from Reno Nevada if I can.
  • coooltroy
    Options
    @DoubleEgger :o  LOL!  Great point.
  • Mikee
    Options
    A business is going to price the an item on overall profit. They are geared to sell at maximum profit. They would rather sell 1 bag at a profit of $16 then sell 3 bags at a profit $4 dollars each. I'll support the dealer who gives me the better deal. $12 for RO or $24 for RW. That decision is pretty easy.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I used a lot of RO because it was cheaper then BGE, but didn't like the heavy smoke flavor it gave out.  After trying Rockwood I won't go back to RO unless it goes away.  Glad you like it, @Mikee, but that's why there are choices and if I can afford the egg, I can afford to put premium fuel in it that I get a lot of cooks out of more then I did with RO.  The bigger the company is and the more they sell a product the better the price will be be for that product.  RO is made in more places then the U.S. and is very large.  RW is just made and shipped from St Louis.  Smaller company, smaller distribution, higher price.  I also believe BGE lump is TO and it sells for over $20 a bag.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

ROCKWOOD DAMMIT :anguished: 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Davec433
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I just bought 40 lbs of RW for a little over 40 bucks. As long as lump isn't over a dollar a pound I think it's a decent price.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I have used Wicked Good for a lot of years and, even though I've tried other brands, I go right back to WG every time. The new lump they have, Jake's Blend, is as close to their old Competition Blend as you'll ever get.

Burns long and as hot as you want (or, can get). Darned little ash. Jake's Blend may be a little slow to light because it's so hard (it "clinks" when you dump the bag) but, don't be put off by that.

I'm always mildly amused by people who spend a bundle on an Egg then cheap it out when it comes to the lump they use.

If you haven't tried either Weekend Warrior or Jake's Blend then I suggest you give it a shot.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    I ordered a bag of Basques Sugar Maple from Firecraft and was very please. Glad they carry it. Now I will switch between Rockwood and Sugar Maple

My dealer carries Sugar Maple. I like it. I go back and forth between BGE, Rockwood and Sugar Maple depending on what I'm cooking, 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Rockwood is a Porsche 911 some others are Ford Taurus. Both will get you to work. Do what you do folks. I use several brands, but Rockwood is my preference. I have customers who prefer other brands, que sera sera. Happy Egging all!