Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Car Wash Mike- wood smoke for 30 min before cook.

Options
Hi

I was reading Car Wash Mike's Rib recipe and am curious why "You need to let the wood smoke for at least 30 minutes before putting the ribs on."

I have never timed how long it takes to regulate temp once I put plate setter/grid etc on egg but was wondered if there is another reason he says this. 

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think this is to let the "bad smoke" clear.  When the fire first starts it is not burning very clean and the smoke smells like a camp fire.  It takes about 30 minutes for the fire to start burning clean.  You shouldn't see heavy white smoke pouring out.  You can also just trust your nose.  Hold your hand over the top of the egg then smell it.  If it smells good, put the food on.  If it smells like a camp fire, wait a little while. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• eggheadbrown
    Options
    Thanks. I have always added wood chucks/plate setter after I have gone through this process and the egg is basically ready to start cooking. I assumed the recipe meant after this process. 

Should I be adding wood chucks when I light the egg?
  • ROllTIDEEGGING
    Options
    no just wait before adding  Mike was referring to the bad smoke, not the wood chunks
  • eggheadbrown
    Options
    Gotcha! Thanks!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks. I have always added wood chucks/plate setter after I have gone through this process and the egg is basically ready to start cooking. I assumed the recipe meant after this process. 

I try not to put unsoaked woodchucks in the egg. They create a terrible smell. Groundhogs on the other hand are fine unsoaked.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggheadbrown
    Options

I try not to put unsoaked woodchucks in the egg. They create a terrible smell. Groundhogs on the other hand are fine unsoaked.
    I used to soak but kept seeing recipes/posting with people using dry wood chunks. seems to work well for me. I understand that smoke penetrate best when meat is still cold and using soaked chunks would smoke slower. 
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    Options
    Did Car Wash Mikes rib cook recipe 3 times in the past month. I understand your concern. Some say to mix the chunks into the lump. CWM says to get clean burning fire, THEN add wood chunks and let burn for 30 min.  I also assume it is to reassure burn off.  I did it both ways. Ribs were perfect both ways. 1st time a little too smoky because I used too much wood
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I used to soak but kept seeing recipes/posting with people using dry wood chunks. seems to work well for me. I understand that smoke penetrate best when meat is still cold and using soaked chunks would smoke slower. 
    Steven was just jerkin' your chain, my friend... woodchucks - wood chunks... Don't mind him, he's Canadian, eh? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• eggheadbrown
    Options

Steven was just jerkin' your chain, my friend... woodchucks - wood chunks... Don't mind him, he's Canadian, eh? =)

I didn't even notice. Not sure how that was possible- maybe just excited I got a response.  
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

He will be around to apologize shortly.  Shortly.  Heh.
    NOLA