Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

instant read thermopop tmp problems.

Options
Hi All

I just recently started cooking high heat direct and cannot yet judge doneness on cook time. 

Last night i cooked a 2" strip sirloin- direct 650-700.  

At 7 min I checked internal temp and was at 93. At 8.5 min 113 and at 10 min just shy of 130. Took it off. rested for 10 min and it ie

Steak looked and felt cooked at 8.5 min but I was trusting the thermometer. I cook similar size steaks on my gas grill and they are ready around 9.5 min at a lower temp.

I use a thermopop instant read. It seems to take accurate readings (at least other times) but I have had his issue before doing a whole chicken. 

I put probe into center of thickest part and wait at least 6 sec.

Any ideas? 

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• eggheadbrown
    Options
    some of my post didn't get through. Steak was over cooked- Well Done. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    First of all temp some boiling water to check the calibration. Next it sounds like you may be going too deep in the meat or near a bone. Remember. the very tip has the sensor. So depending on the cut of meat, if it is thin and you go deep you will get a different temp.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • eggheadbrown
    Options
    thanks. I will check calibration but had no issue the other day getting correct reading. Yes I put tip into thickest part and not near bone. 

Is there any way that cooking at really high heat would cause it to cook too much during rest period?

If i pull at 130 and after rest end up with 135 on a typical gas grill, is it possible cooking at 700 (dome) so hotter at grid would cook more than 5-10 degrees during rest period?

STeve
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Unfortunately, how much higher the temp will rise after you pull it off the grill can vary depending on how thick the steaks are.  I don't cook a lot of steak, so I'm not an expert, and maybe someone more experienced can reply to this, but I think 130 is too high if you want medium-rare.  I haven't cooked a steak in a while (I like a strip steak or ribeye medium rare, but my wife likes a thick filet cooked well done, and I get frustrated trying to get those both cooked the way we want them at the same time), but I think I usually shoot for 120 as the internal temperature to pull the steak off the grill.

And chicken usually I pull at 160 for white meat and 165 or even 170 for dark meat.  It's probably safe at lower temperatures, but I like the texture better.

And I never cook at 700, so I don't have experience to go by, but I'd have thought it might slightly increase the amount the meat rises in temp after you pull it, but I wouldn't have thought an awful lot.  But I'm guessing.  I usually grill at 500, sometimes 600.

I'm sorry to say that I agree with what you seem to be suspecting, that something's wrong with what your Thermapop is telling you.  If you have another thermometer, it might be worth trying both of them and seeing if you get the same reading, though I would have thought if you tried ice water and boiling water and it read correctly, that it would have to be reading right in the meat as well.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The thicker the cut of meat and the higher the cooking temperature, then the larger the differential coast-up temp. 

I do a reverse sear on 2" ribeyes by first cooking them at 300 degrees indirect.  I pull at 120 degrees and a 10 degree coast-up temp occurs almost every time while resting for the sear.

I'm guessing that your gas grill doesn't achieve the 700 degree temps that your egg achieved.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Did you enter the thermometer tip from the side of the steak or the top?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If any doubt about the thermapop,  call them and they'll take care of you. Their customer service is top notch. 

I've had best results if I give the thermapen or thermapop a couple of seconds to adjust to and measure ambient temp before checking meat temp. Forget about cooking by time on the egg unless you like sadness and tears. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.