Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok Ok... What's all the Fuss about?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've heard people talk about the egg... Never actually had any food cooked on one. I want a BBQ that will do what the Egg claims to do, but why won't a gas BBQ do the same thing? I mean how much better is it really? Isn't friggin around with the charcoal and ash and replacement gaskets and waiting around etc etc just a bit much. Don't get me wrong, I want something excellent and I'm prepared to put in the time and dedication, but how does a guy who's a chicken boobie newbie really know that I should spend my hard earned money on the Egg? The price for one of those puppies is $1300.00 before tax... Damn, the BBQ better be to die for... So, can some of you give me a honest evaluation of this BBQ and it's capabilities please? I really need to know that if I spend this kind of money that I can learn to create some amazing meals... Please and thankyou and pass the coleslaw...

Comments

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    Mark B,
    Yes this bbq is worth dying for. Gassers are grills not bbq's. These beauties may be a little more work but it's worth it. Let the board know where you are and maybe someone will invite you over for some ribs.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Mark B,
    Im sure many here will get more techical then me, but I dont think, for one example, any gasser will sear a steak with that charcoal taste.
    I see by your ISP that your in California so I dont know of the ave costs of an egg from 3,000 miles away from me, but you may want to check out others dealers' prices. 1,300 just for large Egg(no table, ect...) does seem a bit steep. If you're close to San Jose then there is an Eggfest(link to top of main forum page) coming this June 23-24 where you can purchase a once-used egg at a good discount.
    HTH,
    ST

• lou
    lou Posts: 16
    Options
    I've had mine only about a week, and my big problem now is figuring out what to do with the super-duper DCS gas grill I previously used - I'm pretty sure I will never use it again.[p]My son-in-law in LA has had one about a year. I know when he was first shopping for one the prices out there were pretty high. So he bought one in Dallas (where I live) and had it shipped to LA instead of Dallas.[p]I bought my large egg, with stand, side mates, daisey wheel top, new stainless bottom vent (with screen), and thermometer, all assembled, etc. for $699 - by way of comparison (I think the price just went up about $50, though).[p]If you want to try to buy from the same place I did, and have it shipped to you, email me and I'll send you the web site URL for the local dealer.

• Unknown
    Options
    Hi Folks,[p]Thanks for the comments so far. I really appreciate what's been said... I live in Eastern Canada... So, the price for the Egg is adjusted accordingly HAHAHA... Anyway, it's all relative I guess. Unfortunately, I don't actually know anyone with an Egg, so getting to try the food is difficult. Hell I even tried to have some Southern BBQ shipped here. I have spent a great deal of time in the south and I miss the food so much... I figure the only way I'm going to get it again is to try and make it myself. Anyway thanks again and keep talking to me... I need to know that I'm going to get what I'm looking for... Warmest Regards...
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mark B,[p]Check out the user profiles. We have a few Canadian eggers, including the Dizzy Pig North fellows. Hopefully they will chime in and introduce themselves. Meanwhile, you can "meet" them via their website. If I'm not mistaken, they are in Eastern Canada also.[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig USA & Canada[/ul]
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Mark B,[p]You ever watch King of the Q? Ted Reader has an egg and he loves it. All Canadians will have eggs soon. Resistance is futile.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Mark B,[p]Where in eastern Canada?
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Lou,
    Part of the price difference is probably the dollar exchange.[p]Take the plunge. You won't regret it. Its the best grill you can own for just about any cook you'll want to do. I say just about any because there is not a whole hog model yet LOL...but you can with a couple large Eggs and maybe an Xlrg for good measure cook as much meat.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Mark B,
    There are those for whom a BGE and even a $100 gas grill are equivalent; these people usually grin and say "what I make best is 'reservations'". Assuming you are a good cook with the potential to become better, consider the temperature range of the two units. My last gasser could go as low as 300 and as high as 400 degrees; any of our Eggs can hit and hold any temp from 200 to over 750 (temp gauge only goes to 750). Consider the duration and cost of a cook: 20 pounds of propane seldom lasted longer than 20 hours total (and cost $10). One fill of lump charcoal (4 to 5 pounds) lasts 24 to 36 hours and costs around $2.50.[p]Is the BBQ "to die for"? Ultimately that will depend upon you. On a gasser it may be good, but seldom if ever great. On a BGE, if you have the requisite talent, it can be the best Q you'll ever eat.[p]Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    5a1453bd.jpg
    <p />Mark B,
    the biggest difference between the egg and a gasser is that the ceramic egg has better moisture control with the food. metal just doesnt do it. ive done plenty of long cooks with gassers, they are much more expensive to run, water pans need filling, and they dont give the same flavor as the lump imparts on your food. the egg just makes great bbq, it also makes just about anything else you would want that much better, steaks fish pizza bread turkey etc. and its gaurantee on replacement costs gives it an edge for the long haul. with the help of this forum and an egg, just about anyone could make great bbq
    2004_0214_012424.jpg
    dbfafc5e.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mark B,[p]If you are in Nth Cal, you can pick up a once used egg at the end of EGGS BY THE BAY Egg Fest. June 23rd - 24th. Click on the link on this website.[p]Demo Egg prices are
    XL-$699 (over $1200 value package)
    L- $549 (over $800 value package)
    M- $429 (over $700 value package)
    S- $329 (over $500 value package)[p]Good Luck[p]Michael

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Mark B, Most of us keep out BBQ tools and other Egg stuff in our old gassers so they dont get weathered, the old gassers just become an extra tool shed.

• Unknown
    Options
    Mark B,[p]I'm a single female who hated grilling or even cranking up my gas grill. A fellow egger and co-worker used to bring me leftover samples from the night before. The flavor of everything was so unbelievable. I finally decided to buy a medium after chatting with a few on the Forum and so wished I had a large. I'm not one to cook one steak or one chicken breast but love to cook lots of meat for lots of good friends. And you can never mess anything up with the help of all these wonderful Egg Eggperts. They share awesome recipes. Just got back from my first EggFest and met some great people. Best investment I've made in so many ways. Hope that helps.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Not for nothin'.....but the BGE probably isn't for you.[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    tach18k,
    When I moved, I got the yard guys to take my old gasser - but only if I'd throw in a full propane bottle![p]Ken

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Mark B,[p]Hang around the forum and read all you can. I spent quite a few months here before purchasing our egg. If reading posts for a couple months doesn't convince you, then the egg probably isn't for you.[p]But the fact that you're even here asking...[p]I don't know anyone else that lives anywhere near me with an egg, so just because you may be the only person who has one doesn't mean you shouldn't get one. On the contrary, it might be fun to have something no one else has.[p]Gwen
  • ScottinKC
    ScottinKC Posts: 29
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I would like to know how you cook your brisket.[p]Thanks
  • CdnQer
    CdnQer Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi MarkB,

Where in Eastern Canada are you? I'm near Ottawa, and there are several Eggers here, plus a dealer that brings in the Canadian Distributor for the BGE quite regularly-to convert the non-believers.

Erik
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2005012055.jpg
    <p />ScottinKC,
    i like to get the brisket about .5 to 1 inch above a pizza stone with the stone sitting on fire bricks. fat cap down, with a raised grid above with a pork butt or picnic shoulder above it to baste it during the cook. temp at the lower grid 220 when the meat goes on and i leave those settings alone for about 3 hours and then start making adjustments to maintain 220. dizzy pig products and a good coating of sugar for the brisket. roughly 12 hours for an 8 pound brisket and never cook one smaller, full packers if you can find one and they will take a few hours more. lots of time wrapped in a cooler, atleast a few hours before slicing against the grain. 1 brisket and 2 butts makes this cook much easier than the one shown, and dont use a guru with this cook as it will force the fire to be too hot at the start of the cook ( i dont own one, but there may be ways to avoid the hot fire while using one, it just takes time with all the cold meat in there for the temp gages to read right). 1 part hickory, 2 parts cherry. its the best brisket ive ever had anywhere, but then again, ive never had anyone elses brisket

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I hate it when I do that.[p]I was going to say:
    Nicely said, Ken![p]JCA

• Unknown
    Options
    Sundown,[p]I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Ever been here?[p]Regards
    Mark

• Unknown
    Options
    Hi Folks,[p]WOW!!! Your responses are amazing!! Some very serious users here. (makes me wonder what's in this green egg) HAHAHAH Sorry... Anyway, I really appreciate your comments... I can tell that the majority of you are quite convinced that the egg will give me great joy and the succulent dishes I crave. I will hang around a begin the quest for the BIG Egg... It seems that most of you either have the large or wished you did. Any other comments or advice either way are greatfully appreciated...[p]Warmest Regards,
    Mark

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Mark B,[p]Don't overlook the cold weather consideration. Many people in Northern climates will tell you that the egg will function all winter long without any problem. Being in Canada, that may be important to you since you only have about 20 minutes of summer.[p]I have large and love it. I got rid of my nice stainless grill 2 months after getting the egg. [p]Ed
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Mark B,[p]That's pretty far east, and a bit further than the Dizzy Pig folks! I don't know if Sundown has been there but this Egger has - my grandfathers came from Annapolis Royal and near Grand Pre, and one grandmother from the roaring metropolis of Upper Musquedoboit. I've had the pleasure of hearing the cannon at the Citadel and attending the games in Antigonish. Lovely province and great people! ;>)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Haggis,[p]Wow, you've got the geography down pat... Not too many folks know the names of those places. So where do you live now? If you come back, check out my little piece of heaven... www.huntspointbeach.com (I know an Egg should go there) All the best... [p]Mark
  • Jackbythesea
    Jackbythesea Posts: 102
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Ok, what kind of pizza pan is that? And where did you get it? Thanks as always,
    Jack

• Haggis
    Options
    Mark B,[p]Geography? Heck, its more of a spelling lesson - I don't think I could spell Musquedoboit twice the same way if my mom hadn't drilled it into me at a tender age! But now I'm in Washington DC area and just enjoyed a grand Eggfest in Waldorf, a town not much bigger than that place I can't spell. I've not been down to Hunts Point Beach but I've been everywhere on the Fundy side from Yarmouth up to Parrsboro and Halfway River - still got relatives there - and from Lunenburg to the tip of Cape Breton on the other side. From my experience I'd say that the only place as friendly as Nova Scotia is the Big Green Egg community - go for it!

• Unknown
    Options
    Haggis,[p]The names of some of the places here are pretty difficult for even the most expert spelling bee champs. Well, if you're every up this way again, I hope you and yours will drop in to see us. If you wait a bit, I might be able to feed you some decent BBQ... Otherwise, it'll have to be boiled lobster and beans. (Hey, I wonder what lobster would be like done on the egg?) Please keep in touch and I'll let you know how the new eggo works out... I ordered the large today... Yikes... [p]Take care
    Mark

• Haggis
    Options
    Mark B,[p]Congratulations on your purchase! As far as lobsters on the Egg are concerned - I'll wager that you'll get some suggestions from other Eggers pretty quickly. [p]I remember many years ago taking my family to the lobster pound at Hall's Harbor and wondering why the lobsters there seemed either very small or unusually large. Turned out that all the best ones were being shipped to the US and sold as Maine lobsters.