Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pies

Options
Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of trying to do an apple or cherry pie on my large egg. If anyone has experience doing this I would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jeff,
    while i don't usually do pies in the egg, i do things like apple crisp, and tortes (actually more like a quiche in a pie crust). . .set up your egg indirect with grid over inverted plate setter. .. then use the sames times and temps that you would if you were doing them in the oven. ..you will be amazed at the fantastic results . . ..[p]words of warning though. ... make sure you have a really well established fire (i usually wait a good 40 minutes to an hour before putting the pie in the egg to insure there is no bad smoke). . . and careful about using any wood .. apples pick up a lot of smoke flavor and too much can make them bitter. . i'm not as sure about cherry's as i haven't tried a cherry pie or crisp ...peaches and blueberries don't pick up as much smoke as apples though. .. so just be careful how much smoke hits the fruit.. . .[p]good luck HTH

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    pie.jpg
    <p />Jeff,[p]I haven't done a fruit pie, but I have done a Vinegar Pie. Delicious![p]Mike
    pie2.jpg

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Vinger Pie?[p]Whats the recipie for that
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jeff, I've done several and just be sure to cook indirect. Direct cooking will get you a burned bottom crust. I use the Eggsetter but a pizza stone will work as well.

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Master Mason,
    It's like a Chess Pie. There are lots of variations, but this link is one very similar to the one I use. You'll never make anything easier, and they are real tasty. I usually cook a little longer to make sure the center gets solid.[p]Mike

[ul][li]http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1737,144175-251198,00.html[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Looked at the recipe. I'm still having trouble figuring out what it would taste like?????? Thx. Rick

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Irobaugh,
    Like a lemon chess pie.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    a03d0156.jpg
    <p />Jeff,
    this isnt a fruit pie, its sausage pie, but i think it would work best if there is a top crust instead of open top. blueberry crisps come out well like max mentioned, but for a pie, i believe it would be less smokey with a top crust. use a clean burning lump

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Unknown
    Options
    punkinpie.gif
    <p />Jeff,
    This pumpkin pie was cooked indirect at about 350° with a heat deflector below the main grate at the AZBBQA 2005 Pig Roast.. very tasty & got rave reviews...[p]The darkness on the left edge happened when someone bumped the table just after I put the pie in the cooker and the pumpkin sloshed over the edge of the crust...it would have been perfect without that! [p]

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    fishlessman,
    please post or email recipe for crust and filling! this looks like my next weekend cook! sausage pie sounds way too tasty! please tell me taters are involved!

• fishlessman
    Options
    40703824.jpg
    <p />Porkchop,
    its about as simple as it gets. i follow the lard crust recipe on the box of morrel snow's lard. grease a castiron fry pan, i use the real small pans. crust, favorite stuffing, crust. bake and apply a melted brushing of butter towards the end. pork sausage, italian sausage, greek sausage, keilbasi, hamburg and onions,chopped steak and green peppers, it all works. havent used the potaoes but chopped or mashed potatoes added to pork sausage would be great. i cook til 165 internal on a raised grill over a pizza stone. if the sausage looks too dry add some chicken stock

fukahwee maine

• Porkchop
    Options
    fishlessman,
    so what's the texture like? is this a big slab of cooked sausage between 2 lard crusts?? oh, man, i think i'm feeling faint... put taters on the side, maybe even sweet taters, oh no (klunk)[p]..*****

• fishlessman
    Options
    Porkchop,
    you want to put the sausage in raw so that you dont lose the grease. the butcher near me makes them the best for breakfast. he makes them in cupcake tins and has a turkeybaster to add some more grease/broth thru a small hole on the top during the cook. was there this morning and an elderly couple had driven up from rhode island with coolers and filled them up with about 200 pies. thats a long ways to go for a pork pie.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i should also mention that the traditional way to eat the pie is to bite into the top crust and drink the broth first, then eat the pie

fukahwee maine

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I've never heard of morrels snow lard and have no idea where I'd find it. Could you post the recipe for the crust?[p]Thanks!
    Tonia
    :~)

• fishlessman
    Options
    QBabe,
    had a hard time finding it on the web, but i buy it in 1 pound packages next to the butter in the supermarket. i will look for the recipe tonight and post it tomorrow. its basically flour lard salt water and it makes a flakey style crust. the package is the same color as shown but its supplied in 1 pound squared cartons like a pound of butter is.butter can be added while taking out an equal amt of lard, and ive used recipes with an egg added.

[ul][li]snowcap lard[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• Porkchop
    Options
    ***comes to momentarily*** fishlessman, you are cruel to describe such a thing. these will be on my kooker this weekend, oh yesssss.[p]drinking the juice??? oh, man! sounds so000oo... (klunk)