Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterfly chicken- different cook times. How to adjust?

Options
Hi. 

When I cook a butterfly/spatchcock chicken- the leg/thigh is finished before the breast. I am forced to cut the the thigh/leg and remove from heat to avoid overcooking. All tastes great but definitely doesn't present as well in pieces. typically takes 30 minutes to cook breast and 20 to cook thigh/leg

Any suggestions? I sear chicken direct bone side up for a few minutes, then in-direct bone down until internal 165. 

Thank you!

Steve

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    375 - Stable

Raised Direct (What is your set-up?)

45-50 minutes

Breast 160-165

Thighs 180-185

Has never failed and have never had to remove the legs/thighs.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    First up, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Now, I don't know your cooking set-up or dome temp but I usually see around 50-60 mins for a spatch chix cook running raised direct with about 350-380*F on the calibrated dome.  I go with the legs to the back (generally hotter part of the BGE) and depending, will ice the breasts for around 20 mins or so before starting the cook.  Take the breasts to 160*F and the legs are generally around 180*F at that time.  Every cook is a bit different but that's a good summary for me.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • eggheadbrown
    Options
    I have been cooking at a higher temp - 500-550 with raised direct then in-direct at same temps. I wrongfully assumed that thighs and breasts are done at 165 and have removed from grill at this temp.

I got lots to learn! I will give this a try on the weekend and hopefully all works well. 

I appreciate the feedback.

Steve
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Just monitor the breast temp and pull at about 160.  The dark meat has more fat and is much more forgiving on temperature.  It will also cook faster.
    NOLA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2015
    Options
    thighs toward the back of the cooker.  at least in mine, that's a bit hotter.  the air coming in the lower vent ends up running up the back of the cooker as far as i can tell.  coals seem to concentrate back there.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    I have been cooking at a higher temp - 500-550 with raised direct then in-direct at same temps. I wrongfully assumed that thighs and breasts are done at 165 and have removed from grill at this temp.

I got lots to learn! I will give this a try on the weekend and hopefully all works well. 

Steve
    That's the fun part about Egging. You will be an Eggspert sooner than you know. It takes doing things a few times to feel comfortable. It won't take long before SHMBO is no longer impressed. 

Something I do is when searching the forum for a technique or recipe or temps, etc. I'll copy and paste and email it to myself with a subject such as Salmon or Mike's Car Wash Ribs, etc. for quick reference. 

Too much to cook, so little time!

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    You can also do wings the with the same set-up - 375 RD for approx 5-40 minutes. 

On the other hand, you can do chicken/wings low and slow - 225-250 for about 2-2 1/2 hours raised indirect. 

There is no "right" way. It's all good. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• eggheadbrown
    Options
    Put the thighs at the back even though it is hotter? Wouldn't I want them in the front if they cook faster than the breast?

I have never heard of icing the breast. interesting. 

What is considered raised? I have an box extender so my grill sits at the lip of egg. I also have a smaller grill with legs that can increase another 4+/- inches above lip. does this qualify as Raised?

Thanks for all the feedback. 
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Raised is at the gasket line.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• eggheadbrown
    Options
    Raised is at the gasket line.
    Thanks! 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    sorry man.  misread it.  thought your thighs were underdone...

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Breast 160-165

Thighs 180-185

I've actually always wondered about this....

Why is it that breast meat is "safe to eat" at 160 degrees, and the Thigh is "safe to eat" at 180?  I would've thought that the Salmonela etc. is killed at the same temp, regardless what muscle it's in.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Why not break the chicken down before the cook, and pull each piece as they finish?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    re "Why is it that breast meat is "safe to eat" at 160 degrees, and the Thigh is "safe to eat" at 180?  I would've thought that the Salmonela etc. is killed at the same temp, regardless what muscle it's in. "

nothing to do with safety  dark meat is a little too gooey still at lower temps.  i actually prefer it higher sometimes, even 200

it's all safe at 140, but palatable? that's up to you

• eggheadbrown
    Options
    Focker said:
    Why not break the chicken down before the cook, and pull each piece as they finish?

No reason other than presentation and pride. 
  • eggheadbrown
    Options
    THEBuckeye said:

Steve
    That's the fun part about Egging. You will be an Eggspert sooner than you know. It takes doing things a few times to feel comfortable. It won't take long before SHMBO is no longer impressed. 

Something I do is when searching the forum for a technique or recipe or temps, etc. I'll copy and paste and email it to myself with a subject such as Salmon or Mike's Car Wash Ribs, etc. for quick reference. 

Too much to cook, so little time!

I found and saved Mike's Car Wash Ribs- thanks! When people quote cook temps in the forum/recipes, are they typically dome or grate temp?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Regarding temp quotes, the general convention is the temp is dome (as that is the one indicator all BGE's have) unless otherwise stated.  Key word "general".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding temp quotes, the general convention is the temp is dome (as that is the one indicator all BGE's have) unless otherwise stated.  Key word "general".
    Agree. You'll see "grate' and "dome" temps as well in the same post. 
    New Albany, Ohio