Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

B&B mesquite lump

Hey gang...
I've used mostly RO since I started egging the last couple years...mostly have been happy as its close by and the price is pretty okay...the menards box store I usually use looks to have moved to B&B mesquite. 

I checked the naked whiz and i see a couple other types of B&B but it dosent look like this type has been reviewed yet.  The Other B&B products seemed a little sub par.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this stuff.

Thanks

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you like smokey food it's fine.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2015
    In our area, it seems that B&B mesquite is the only lump that Menards sells now.  Their loss, as far as I'm concerned.  
    I usually went there for the RO, but my last two lump trips have been to HDepot.

I have no use for mesquite alone, but will mix it from time to time.  Just a personal preference.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I went looking for RO at Menard's today, they were out and had the B&B.  They said they only are carrying RO seasonally.  Home Depot had one last bag of RO.  Time to stock up, winter is coming!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Sardonicus
    edited September 2015
    blind99 said:
    I went looking for RO at Menard's today, they were out and had the B&B.  They said they only are carrying RO seasonally.  Home Depot had one last bag of RO.  Time to stock up, winter is coming!
    That's interesting.  I bought lump from both Menards and HDepot during the last few winters.  

Now that you mention it, when I bought from HDepot last week, there were only two bags.  The bag that I didn't buy was torn and taped.

Ah, well.
    Screw 'em both.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• I agree...I have too...I picked up a few bags of RO at Menards 4-6 weeks ago out I was at 2 different menards last weekend...one had this b&b stuff...the other had no lump at all...but no empty spots for it either.
  • blind99 said:
    They said they only are carrying RO seasonally. 
    I tried to ask someone but the guy in the area told me he was off the clock and asked me to go find someone else...go figure
  • Sardonicus
    I agree...I have too...I picked up a few bags of RO at Menards 4-6 weeks ago out I was at 2 different menards last weekend...one had this b&b stuff...the other had no lump at all...but no empty spots for it either.
    Well, Menards DOES need every available square inch of shelf space for Halloween which is only two months away!

• You can always read all the reviews..... I didnt even know a page like this existed.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Yep...I checked the dB there...but this style wasn't listed...I wasn't impressed with the ratings of the other b&b types
  • Well, Menards DOES need every available square inch of shelf space for Halloween which is only two months away!

True story...then xmas...we are probably screwed until after easter...but I know it wasn't seasonal in past years...