Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Mates

Options
Dublin Dawg
Dublin Dawg Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy: I have a large BGE - Does anyone use the Grate Mates with their large BGE? Are they really useful? I am looking for something to raise my cooking grid up so it doesn't hit my drip pan when I use my inverted place setter....

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,
    if you have a grid on top of inverted plate setter in a large bge, i don't understand why your grid is hitting your drip pan ...there is plenty of space for a drip pan under their (i think its 3 1/2 inches). . .i just use those throw-away pans or i even just make a drip pan out of aluminum foil with the edges folded up .. ..[p]chubby only makes the grate mates for the small egg cause there is no plate setter for that egg... .they are great for the small though and i recommend them highly for that egg. .. .

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,[p]Check your email.[p]...and what Max said!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Dublin Dawg,[p]I know I may be rubbing salt in it, but I'm still waiting for something for the mini. [p]I have done some of my own enginerring (which is weak at best) to create a radied grid, but I am seeking a more refined solution ... whats s'up wit dat Chubby (we still love ya man)![p]Smokey
  • Chubby
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Yes...you are rubbing salt in it![p]Still...I am inadequate, and deserve your public flogging!![p]Now....I must go...time for more self deprication!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Saucy Sue
    Saucy Sue Posts: 79
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Used my Grill Mates last night on "Mommy's Widdle Gwrill" and they worked beautifully. Thanks to Chubby for giving me a hands on demo at the eggfest. We cooked ABT's in Waldorf and they were supper.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Don't worry about it man. I'm just poking a little fun at a member of the family![p]Smokey
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I agree. They are "grate" to have around. The full set gives you even more advantages. Following Chubby's advice to cook chili, I used a 5 qt Dutch Oven on the "ring" that comes with the GrateMate set. He also suggested I get the 8" Ceramic Baking Dish from BGE. It came in yesterday. All I need is recipes now and I can get them off the Forum anytime I like. Life is good.[p]I think I'm getting to the point where I just automatically want every good accessory idea that comes along. [p]Spring "Grate Balls Afire" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    Chubby stay loose for a minute. Howdy Shotgun Fred![p]What are the key strokes, Shift F or something like that to search a word – Guru. I just thought I’d check your search methods……LOL[p]We sure enjoyed our visit with you, Bob and the gang Friday. Like Chubby says, you forgot more than we will ever know. Is Howell going to have your new bottom vent set-up available in Austin? I forgot to get one Saturday. It is way cool. [p]I am going to give the low and slow ramp mode, jerky method, a test run shortly. I'll see if I can get my datalogger to log the temps. If so, I let you know how it works. That was/is killer jerky. [p]See you in Atlanta![p]Tom, [p]Okay, back to your Chubby programming. [p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    There was a post some time ago that BGE no longer had the baking dish, I will ASS-UME it's still available unless that sly OLD Spring Chicken got the last one.
    Cheers,Beers & Boobs,
    Bordello

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Bordello,
    ROTFLMAO... I've been called many names but "sly" has never been one of them. I will cherish that title LOL.[p]Chubby told me they stopped selling them so I didn't even try to order one until I ordered the screens. I asked Mike if they still had some and he said yea, how many? One is enough for me. I'm kinda curious as to how to use the baking dish. I don't recall seeing any recipes that mentioned it. Maybe some bread? Or a deep dish pizza or maybe some Italian dishes? We'll see.[p]Cheers, Beers and Boobs huh? Is that a fantasy of yours?[p]Spring "Ate Enough Italian The Last Two Nights to Be Able to Speak The Language" Chicken[p]

• Chubby
    Options
    Bordello,[p]No...they have it....always have had them!![p]Actually, from reading his post...seems Spring Chicken misunderstood me.[p]Someone down there (BGE) keeps telling customers "they no longer have them"....but as the Feathere'd One reports...it's demise has been greatly exagerated![p]Evans