Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trash bag clean up ash

Options
not $$$ or amazing but wow was it easy. 

Lifted the egg enough to stuff the trash bag under it and the hung the top over the nest arms. Just swept it empty through the bottom vent. 

I I had a lot more ash than I had expected. Just took my egg apart to put it in my nest. The XL looks huge when it's eye level now! I'm really gonna like the nest j think. 

All cleaned and put away

XLBGE 

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    very slick, nice post
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Nice looking spot!! Just make sure the mini you's assume it's hot at all times and you are golden.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    Propane or natural gas in that stub?  Anyway to rig a weed burner up to that?
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I've been using this method for years - with those plastic grocery bags. That way you can just toss the ash and get moving on the cook
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Legume dude that's an awesome idea

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @Scottborasjr thanks man. I'm working on it. Need some kind of table but snagged the nest on CL and am pumped. 

XLBGE 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    looks like a good way to keep things under control. 

just wanna be careful that the ash is good and cold.  even 24 hours later some lump bits can be capable of starting a fire if you were to toss this in the household trash.  happened to a friend of mine.

i typically throw it on the compost pile, but once simply bagged it and tossed into the trash bucket at the curb (pickup was next day).  i ran my hand through the ash to make sure it was cold.

not sure that was the smartest thing, seeing as how there might have been hot coals, and then what?!?!?!

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bbqlearner
    Options
    I use a bucket to pull out the ash and wait a few days before pouring it onto a trash bag to make sure it's already cold.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else is using one of these but I found it at Lowes a few weeks ago. It is a good size to shake the KAB over and then it slides in under the ash door for a quick cleanout. And the lid fits nice and tight so you can make sure the ash is good and cold before disposal. For the price I think it's a real nice addition. ANd I have no affiliation

http://www.lowes.com/pd_195272-63872-6106___?productId=3473839&pl=1&Ntt=trash+cans

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use the little aluminum can in the post above for ash and to drain the water pan in my backwoods.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @BILL-W221 ... you're on the right track.  With a large egg and a KAB, this trash can works a little better: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behrens-10-gal-galvanized-sheet-steel-garbage-pail?cm_vc=-10005

You can drop the KAB down into the can to reduce ash spillage.  Can't slide it under the ash door, but that's where the BGE ash pan comes into play.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Nice find Jeepster, I never thought to look at Tractor Supply. I do have one locally too. That looks to be the next size up from the same manufacturer but for the same price as the smaller one from Lowes. I may have to go get one of those for dog food.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @BILL-W221 ... you're on the right track.  With a large egg and a KAB, this trash can works a little better: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/behrens-10-gal-galvanized-sheet-steel-garbage-pail?cm_vc=-10005

You can drop the KAB down into the can to reduce ash spillage.  Can't slide it under the ash door, but that's where the BGE ash pan comes into play.

I've been using this for quite some time.  I bought it for tailgating & picnics.  Put in hot coals/ ash, add water and your fire worries are over.  When at home, I keep the coals & use it for ash.  Works like a charm.
    Flint, Michigan
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I just shake my KAB in the egg and put a shallow tupperware dish under the table nest and use the ash tool to scrape it out. I then, depending on the wind direction toss the ash over the deck .
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use a bucket to pull out the ash and wait a few days before pouring it onto a trash bag to make sure it's already cold.
    I also use a 5 gallon bucket and when it gets full I dump it of my back fence in a wooded area.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I shouldn't even show you guys what I use to clean out my eggs the day after my cooks.  It's a lazy mans shop vac with a cyclone over a 5 gallon bucket.  All the old lump and powder goes in the bucket, and the filter in the shop vac stays pristine clean.  No loss of suction. I use it on my sanders in my wood shop with same effect.  I probably empty that 5 gallon bucket every 6 weeks, but never have to mess with opening up the shop vac.  No dirty hands and a spotless BGE for every cook!
  • Magicman_007
    Options
    That looks like a great solution to keep everything clean! Can you tell me how to rig that up?