Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova...it was only a matter of time...

Options
Anova...it was only a matter of time...Blue tooth is almost worthless.
http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker-wifi

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That seems a little silly.
    NOLA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    By Christmas they will we selling for $99-$120...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Pridnjoy
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I hope so! I want one. This one is now $50 off, making it $150. I almost can't wait until Christmas! Should I do it now?
  • Photo Egg
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    Photo Egg said:
    I hope so! I want one. This one is now $50 off, making it $150. I almost can't wait until Christmas! Should I do it now?
    Honestly I don't see a need to connect to my SV but I like mine because it's smaller and has the adjustable clamp so it will work with different size pots.
    I hope they have some of the bugs worked out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think they should come out with a "no frills" version where you simply set the temperature.  Honestly I just don't see why you need to interface with a device for sous vide...it is a set it and forget it style of cooking.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I think they should come out with a "no frills" version where you simply set the temperature.  Honestly I just don't see why you need to interface with a device for sous vide...it is a set it and forget it style of cooking.  
    The only plus is you can program, using your phone or iPad, to start SV at 110 degrees for an hour or two then ramp up to say 132 for the remainder automatically.
    There is some science behind it some say. Have not tried to cook this way so can not say.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    They have done other sales... I got same one for $129. The wifi (and phone app) are a neat toy, but not necessary. The app has recipes, cook times, etc. IMO - For $20 savings, I wouldn't wait. $150 is a good price. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'm fighting the temptation. After that butcher block cart this weekend I'm already in the dog house...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I figured something like this was in the works, given their recent sales to move the Bluetooth units. I don't think it adds that much - how often  would you leave something in the bath at room temp to start a cook at a later time or tinker with a cook in process while at work, etc?

I've tried the method you mentioned ("warm aging"?) with beef and while things turned out good, I can't say that I could really notice a difference compared to cooking it the usual SV way. One use could be to start up the SV and get it up to temp when driving home, then just drop in the bags as soon as you get home?

I bought one of the Bluetooth units from one of the sales, but honestly don't see myself using the Bluetooth function any time. I bought it so that I could have the option of a second SV unit to run at a different temp and for the ability to SV larger quantities

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    @caliking, like most things in life these days, stuff, when it first rolls out do not appear to be a necessity. As you sleep on it, night by night, it slowly becomes one. And then there are these "reports" on the egghead forums.
    Go sip a cold one, dwell on it for no more than 30 seconds and join in.
    You will be the first one to "report" a cook. I just know it. =)  

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    Options

Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about something, so who knows :)

But I kinda see this like a delay timer on a crockpot (never saw the point of one) - can't usually leave something perishable like meat  in the SV without the unit on and cooking. There aren't many instances when you would change cook parameters during the cook, so I'm not really seeing the utility (yet).

If it had a chill/cool function, I would totally be on board!

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I think it's really just the connection and control from your phone that is the best. I doubt I'd start or control a sous vide cook from the office, but just wifi being a better connection than blue tooth and the ability of the app to control the cooker. 

Im currently in total lust over a sous vide cooker. Thinking of jumping on this pre order. Talking the wife into early Christmas present!

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    Options
    That's true, but there isn't much to control IMO (given current SV concepts). Things may change though.

I think you'll have fun with an SV gizmo. It opens up a whole new arena to play in. I pitched the first SV cooker purchase as "look - we could make baby food at home with this thing!". Never did, but that's okay since that's not what I had intended to do with it :smiley: 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2015
    Options

Im currently in total lust over a sous vide cooker. Thinking of jumping on this pre order. Talking the wife into early Christmas present!
    Use some KY...  =)
    Oops! I forgot you already did and there is one on the way! Right?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.