Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need a wow factor

Options
Hey guys cooking for my friends this weekend and are looking to knock there socks off. I am cooking for 10 adults and 8 kids all under 6. 

Any suggestions. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    All depends. Pulled pork feeds a crowd as does a slew of ribs. Need more information. Timeframe, egg size...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    What kind of experience/level do you consider yourself? Pork butts are great for larger groups and have a wow factor to people used to eating pulled pork from a crock pot. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Simple, but very effective. Pulled pork sandwiches, Mac & Cheese, corn bread. I just did this for a family get together, very much the wow factor.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GreatNorthEgger
    Options
    I have a LG egg. Dinner is at 6pm Saturday. 
    My skill level I would rate myself a 6\10. I'm leaning towards a butt. I don't want to do ribs and winds ( did those last time). I'm want to do a butt but I tend to dry them out. 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    I say do a butt, most people have never really had pulled pork right off the BBQ. It's simple,and best of all, even if your skill level is 6\10 ... The forum can walk you thru it.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
     I'm want to do a butt but I tend to dry them out. 
    Sounds like you might want to check the calibration of your dome thermometer before proceeding, but I too would suggest a nice pork butt to knock their socks off! Run the IT of that butt to at least 200, rest and then pull after 30 minutes rest time and then pull and listen for the accolades to roll in!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Ok, I'll get blow back for this but this technique rocks. Get 2 4-6 pound boneless butts.  Follow this recipe and you'll need no sauce. Smaller butts are key to increase bark- meat ratio. Get some slaw, Mac & cheese and you have wow factor!  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe.html
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    What I like best about doing a butt for a crowd is that their cheap. Here in Los Angeles, I paid $22 dollars for two butts with a total weight of 16 pounds.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Go with individual pizzas- they cook really fast and kids love to make their own.  Plus everyone (at least at my house) loves the pizzas off the egg.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Ok, I'll get blow back for this but this technique rocks. Get 2 4-6 pound boneless butts.  Follow this recipe and you'll need no sauce. Smaller butts are key to increase bark- meat ratio. Get some slaw, Mac & cheese and you have wow factor!  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe.html
    I hope this isn't "blowback" -- I promise I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just want to understand the recipe.  It wants a brine with 12 oz of pickling salt. Won't that make it "cured" much like ham?  I bet it would be delicious, but doesn't it taste a bit like ham instead of pulled pork?
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @Theophan, thank you for questioning!  The brine only infuses mild seasoning to the but. No ham flavor. Hate to admit it but I don't like ham. All brines are a salt-sugar mixtures that infuse flavor and this with pork butts is a true winner!  Use the rub and it will come into your routine rotation. Try it and you be the jury. You'll be pleased!
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    I we done pizza ,wings and shrimp. People are amazed how good pizza is. Wings are so much better than they get at a restaurant. Shrimp are great appetizer. 
  • tailg8ers
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    This recipe/technique sounds really good - and Alton Brown has never let us down w/any of his how to's.  Another thing to do to keep moisture is put a drip pan filled with apple juice/ cider or wine/beer even - might help keep it from drying out. 
    Cary, NC    LBGE & Mini Max
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Another take............

Fajita/Skirt Steak, Fajitaish Dizzy Rub, Lime Juice - marinade overnight, serve with Guac/Pico/Salsa

Make your own taco's - and - also serve some spinach and romaine for salad for the ladies. 

While the steak is resting, you can do a quick round of Nachos on the Egg - w/ cheese, jalapenos.

Could also add some quick Chicken/Cheese Quesadillas for the kids. You could cook the chicken first before ramping up the Egg to 500ish for the fajita steak. They could make their own before you cook on the Egg - wouldn't  take more than a minute a side. 

I'm getting hungry.

Oh, one more thing.......

MARGARITAS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    tailg8ers said:

This recipe/technique sounds really good - and Alton Brown has never let us down w/any of his how to's.  Another thing to do to keep moisture is put a drip pan filled with apple juice/ cider or wine/beer even - might help keep it from drying out. 

The egg maintains moisture well enough that a drip pan isn't that useful.  You're also asking for a temperature spike when the liquid in the pan boils off.  Not necessary, IMO.
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    my neighborhood is doing prime rib, shrimp crab and corn chowder, steamed lobster and steamer clams this weekend =) its way too much ;)  if it were me i would simply get a beef tenderloin and slice 3/4 inch burgers, set it up with a rub or marinade, grill it and serve as upscale burgers on good bunns, and have some regular small burgers and dogs for the kids. fairly quick cook, how could you not like a beef tenderloin steak burger =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I haven't done them myself, but those shrimp burgers that got bumped earlier in the week by @NecessaryIndulg look like a show stopper to me. 
  • Volgrill
    Options
    Biggest wow I've gotten is for paella.  But probably not a good idea until you've taken it for a test run or two with fewer people.
  • Theophan
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @Theophan, thank you for questioning!  The brine only infuses mild seasoning to the but. No ham flavor. Hate to admit it but I don't like ham. All brines are a salt-sugar mixtures that infuse flavor and this with pork butts is a true winner!  Use the rub and it will come into your routine rotation. Try it and you be the jury. You'll be pleased!
    I like pork butts the way I've cooked them so much I kinda hate to tinker with it, but I also like odd things, and this sounds a little odd to me :) so I may try it.  Thanks!
  • Theophan
    Options

... i would simply get a beef tenderloin and slice 3/4 inch burgers, set it up with a rub or marinade, grill it and serve as upscale burgers on good bunns ... how could you not like a beef tenderloin steak burger =)
    When I was a kid, my dad a few times grilled beef filets like burgers exactly the way you say, over a wood fire in our basement (there was a swing-out grill), and MAN were they good!  I don't know why I never do that in my Egg.  Great idea -- thanks for reminding me of those wonderful sandwiches.  I think I'm going to try it.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Can't believe I'm the first to mention ABT's for an app. I brought 200 to a huge party last weekend and they were gone as fast as I could pull them off the Egg. Everyone raved about them.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Here's a nice dessert. 

Wrap dried pineapple bites with a quarter piece of bacon. Season with a nice rub. Indirect for 20 min at 375 then glaze and another 10 min. Serve on a toothpick. They get sticky so remove from whatever you cook on and into a plate. 

Glaze
    3 parts honey
    1 part sriracha
    1 part bourbon 

like candy
  • EagleIII
    Options
    I vote for Pork Butts....just cook 'em low and slow, maybe 230 degrees for however many hours it takes to get the internal meat temp to at least 195, although a lot are now saying internal temp of 203 and they will NOT be dry.....easy and you can feed a LOT of people that way! Example - I cooked last weekend for a friend of mine who was throwing an engagement party for their daughter.  They asked me to make pulled pork for a party of 40 - 50!  I did four 8 - 9 lb butts on the large, home made Baked Beans and Dave Poe's Mac n Cheese recipe(which was insanely good...just Google Dave Poe Mac n Cheese...VERY simple and VERY good.  A lot of people at the party thought it was catered by a restaurant.  Make the Butt(s)...then as @RRP said above - then "wait for the accolades to roll in". 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Pulled.Beef.Sammiches.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Or you could smoke up a steak, some pork and have a taco/quesadilla bar.  People can add their own toppings and build as they please.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    theres also fajitas, kofta kabebs, over the top shrimp tacos, things not for a formal sitdown but good to walk around with and socialize, things that are a quick cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pridnjoy
    Options
    This thread delivers. Noobs like me like all the creative ideas and help. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Brisket, Baked Beans & Potato Salad. And you can do hot dogs for the kids to order.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have a LG egg. Dinner is at 6pm Saturday. 
    My skill level I would rate myself a 6\10. I'm leaning towards a butt. I don't want to do ribs and winds ( did those last time). I'm want to do a butt but I tend to dry them out. 

Don't know how you could dry out a butt with the amount of fat and connective tissue they have. How have you cooked them? You could sub a couple of picnics and not trim. Just crosshatch cut the skin and use the "craclking" for bark.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• VooDuuChild
    Options
    With your skill level at stated 6/10 I would definitely go with Pork Butts.  I always do boneless.  My rub is very simple.  Lots of brown sugar, some smoked paprika, fresh cracked pepper, chipotle powder, Kirkland brand sweet mesquite.
    Go 225 until 201-203.  It will NOT be dry and it WILL pull soooooooo easy....just try not to eat all the bark before your guests. 
    After this MASSIVE success, you will rate yourself 8/10 for sure because everyone will be freaking.
    oh...and don't forget about the sauce......get something special....out of the ordinary.....unless you can find a sweet recipe for a sauce......PM me if you want a recipe for sauce (ketchup/tomato based recipe).  It's easy to make.  It is based on other recipes I've found online, I can't take full credit although I've made it my own.  I find that making my own rub and sauces really show off flavors to people that get them excited because it's something they've for sure never had before.

1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.