Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jumbo Joe Mods

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
For the JJ owners, check your top damper on install.  Posted this on my sinking thread.
On both Joes, mine were biting into the porcelain.  Easy fix, sand the bottom edges with medium grit sandpaper until smooth.  Snug until it moves smoothly.

Post surgery, goin' nuckin' futs sittin' around.  Putzyin', decided to mod the JJ similar to my WSM.  Wanted a better charcoal grid for both cleaning, and the option to keep the lump from falling through.  Also decided to upgrade to the hinged grate, Tarjay had two on clearance for 11 bucks.  Charcoal baskets were $18 per set of two.  Charcoal grate was 10 bucks.  Standard copper ground wire, fitty cents a lb.  Used one foot per handle.  When time to clean, gently stir, lift, and dump the bowl. Replace grid with used charcoal.  Carry on.  Much easier than dealing with the ash pan.  My version of a kickass white trash basket. lol

The Weber charcoal basket is not necessary, but nice when running low and slow, which I plan to do.  Makes refueling a breeze.   

The extra grate can be inverted for raised direct, or increase capacity as needed.  
Lid fits nice with inverted grate in place.  Also the extra grid is perfect for the large egg, and drying meats in the fridge.  

The rapid fire chimney starter compliments well, fits inside the grill without the inverted grate. 

Don't get me wrong, it works just fine as is.  But for only 30 bucks, nice improvements, and much easier to use. 

Firin' it up again tonight!
thanks for lookin'

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    does it come in green? :wink: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Not in this size.  But I do have a OTG in BGE green.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    got a digiQ? :lol: 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Yes sir.  But saving that adapter for the green big boy.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Good tips! I love the Jumbo Joe. Use mine all the time, and I've taken it all over the country with me. My favorite mod is the barrel height extension:

http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/weber-jumbo-joe-barrel-extension/

With this mod, I can easily get a Dutch oven in the JJ, or smoke a ham or pork butt.

Another trick I do is put the BGE pizza stone on the main cooking grate and then use the BGE height extender overtop of the pizza stone. That, when combined with the barrel height extension, gives me a large space for indirect cooking. Here's a picture of a couple of chicken ballotines cooking with this configuration (I've posted these before):

• Focker
    @clintmiller,

Very nice!
    Riveted rolled aluminum! 
    $26 well spent. 
    Bookmarked for a future winter project, thanks!

I take it temp control is similar to the WSM?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• I've never used a WSM. So I can't compare temp control. Honestly, though, I rarely worry much about temperature when I'm cooking on the JJ. If I'm going low and slow (which is very rare), I open the bottom and top vents just a little bit. Otherwise, I open the top and bottom all the way and let it go to whatever temperature it wants to run at. I run wide open for pretty much anything involving pork, poultry, seafood, or a Dutch oven. I tend not to cook much beef on the JJ.

Last time we went camping, I cooked chicken wings, Dutch oven popcorn, mountain man breakfast, and chili, all on the JJ with the vents wide open without any worry about the temperature.
  • Focker
    edited August 2015
    Thanks, will keep this in mind.

Also see myself drilling a hole in the aluminum, to use one of the BGE Tel Trus I already have.  Do you see any problems with this, as opposed to drilling a hole in the dome?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Like these mods. I'm gonna have to put a thermometer on mine
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • That should be fine. Probably better than where I have the thermometer since you want it to be close to the grate. Mine is close to the grate when I don't use the height extender, but pretty far and inaccurate when I use the extender.

The downside is that you won't have a thermometer for the times you don't use the extender.

No big deal either way, though. Honestly, the only reason I have a thermometer on mine at all is I had an extra one laying around, I had my drill out while I was building a UDS, and I got the urge to drill one more hole. :-) Otherwise, I would have never done it.
  • Carolina Q
    Re thermo: Why not drill two holes, then put it wherever you need it?

Re converting to WSM: imusa jumbo joe

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Brandon - email just sent to your gmail - hope that was the right one as I have 3 in my system. Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited August 2015
    Cool stuff Brandon! Awesome little portable. Just like the egg, the weber kettles stand the test of time. Simple and effective. The weber kettle was my gateway drug to the BGE. 
  • Focker
    Thanks alot guys.  I agree Pete, pound for pound, they cannot be beat......the Rhonda Rousey of grillz. lol

Comp K, worked great in the Weber basket.  Garlic salt, pepper.  No sauce needed. 

Homegrown maters courtesy of Dot out of Port Byron, and sweet corn from my Aunt Elaine in Geneseo.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited August 2015
    Awesome maters. Everything looks great. Those maters though, yum. 
  • Focker
    Awesome maters. Everything looks great. Those maters though, yum. 

Soooooooooo good.  
    Taking advantage of the ripe times. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I used the Jumbo Joe for tailgating last night after softball. The Jumbo kicks some major arse! Perfect real estate for basic cooks. My old Weber Joe would take a couple rounds to feed my softball team but the Jumbo gets it done at once. The handle/lock works perfect for dumping hot ash and locking grill into place. It fits in the trunk without issue. This is easily the best $30 I've spent in awhile. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Nice V!
    I agree my friend. 

Mine has taken up residence in the back of the truck, tucked in next to the cab along with a bag of Comp K, Weber chimney, Lodge CS grill pan, charcoal tongs, lighter, and Rutland starters.    

Seals up tight and snuffs rather quickly, when done. 

The Lodge carbon steel paella pan, and grill pan, are a perfect fit.

Another plus, by design, the coals are closer to the grate than the standard kettles.  Like you said, ideal for the quick sear cooks.

Some of the stuff this guy is crankin' out looks great.  
    http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/how-to-use-a-weber-jumbo-joe/

I can't wait to throw a rack of ribs on this bad boy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYgVF8ekH8c
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited September 2015
      Focker said:
    Nice V!
    I agree my friend. 

Mine has taken up residence in the back of the truck, tucked in next to the cab along with a bag of Comp K, Weber chimney, Lodge CS grill pan, charcoal tongs, lighter, and Rutland starters.    

Seals up tight and snuffs rather quickly, when done. 

The Lodge carbon steel paella pan, and grill pan, are a perfect fit.

Another plus, by design, the coals are closer to the grate than the standard kettles.  Like you said, ideal for the quick sear cooks.

Some of the stuff this guy is crankin' out looks great.  
    http://www.weberjumbojoe.com/how-to-use-a-weber-jumbo-joe/

I can't wait to throw a rack of ribs on this bad boy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYgVF8ekH8c
    That's a sweet setup he has going on with the Jumbo. That video you posted has me wanting to try out that recipe. Thanks for putting up that video! @focker
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota